emergency brake pedal not returning fully to the top

My emergency brake pedal does not return fully to the top of its travel when released, it pops up most of the way, but you have to lift it the last inch manually or it turns on the emergency brake warning light.  The emergency brake shoes are fully releasing, just not the pedal. 

Is the emergency brake working? If you set the brake, and put the vehicle in gear, does it roll forward? If you give it a little gas, does it move easily? If the parking brake is not working, then it may be out of adjustment, which can contribute to the peddle issue. A broken e-brake cable will definitely cause the peddle to not come up all the way - I just had it happen to me. I fixed it for about $8. 

A possible solution would be to attach a small spring to the peddle, and hook the other end to the under dash area. 

• 2 years later...

Still trying to figure this out.  The emergency brake works perfectly, the pedal works perfectly with the exception that when i release it it does not return fully to the up position sufficiently to not actuate the emergency brake warning light.  It returns maybe 90 percent to the top.

• 7 months later...