HIgh Desert Packge severe leaking proplen

1 hour ago, Huskersfan said:

Was there an observable problem they saw that inspired them to replace the panels? Or are there new versions?

I can not answer that.  All I know there are three boxes in the bed that have new panels in them.  Since it's going to be 3 weeks for the rest of the parts to arrive, I've picked up my truck with a disassembled insert.  I have not compared the old panels to the new ones..

• 1 month later...

I have a 2017 High Desert Leaker. So they released two (2) kits to try to fix the problem, the current “fix” is Bullentin # 18-NA-135. Chevrolet Customer Service told me I would have to pay for the fix as not covered under Warranty. The truck has only 17K miles on it.

The reality is the HDP is a lemon and I suggest all who bought these to file with their State Department of Motor Vehicles Lemon Law Complaint division. Chevrolet advertised these as having a water-resistant cargo management system to protect from extreme elements. All the Chevy ads and promotions are still on-line to attach to your filing.

We had seven (7) Avalaches starting with the first year of no body armor to the Black Diamond and never had issues like we are having with the HDP. 

Safe travels to all,

victorcharlie

• Like 1

Yes, that is the TSB that involves enlarging drain holes and adding shims, which is what I have already done. It also replaces the rubber seal/ channel on both sides that is the length of the bed (it's what the panels rest on).

I already performed those myself except for replacing those two seals. I wasnt sure they were causing as much of a problem as other areas. 

What I am wondering is if there is a separate TSB from that one that involves replacing panels, seals, etc. And if there is what info or title it is so it can be looked up by my dealer

19 hours ago, Victorcharlie said:

I have a 2017 High Desert Leaker. So they released two (2) kits to try to fix the problem, the current “fix” is Bullentin # 18-NA-135. Chevrolet Customer Service told me I would have to pay for the fix as not covered under Warranty. The truck has only 17K miles on it.

The reality is the HDP is a lemon and I suggest all who bought these to file with their State Department of Motor Vehicles Lemon Law Complaint division. Chevrolet advertised these as having a water-resistant cargo management system to protect from extreme elements. All the Chevy ads and promotions are still on-line to attach to your filing.

We had seven (7) Avalaches starting with the first year of no body armor to the Black Diamond and never had issues like we are having with the HDP. 

Safe travels to all,

victorcharlie

Good luck with a lemon law.  Every article that I have read about the High Desert package states that it is "water resistant".  Kinda like the difference between my work boots and my waders.

• Thanks 1

I understand the difference between water-resistant and water-proof. Where the lemon law comes into play is that it was advertised as being able to protect cargo from extreme elements. Go online and google it and the 2017 Chevrolet ads are published with the wording. If you own a HDP,

you know from a rainstorm to a washing you will have water in the cargo bed. How can it protect from extreme elements when you cannot even wash it?

Be careful with any of the parts and pieces with the high desert package. 

The V shaped seal that is designed to press against the tailgate when closed was damaged by me. On mine it doesn't touch in several areas causing water and dirt to enter the bed. In an attempt to modify it I tore the rubber.

I contacted a local dealership and they told me that rubber seal isn't available at all, he had to way to order one. 

I looked up some parts places, but when I call to confirm the part nobody answers.

So at the moment I have it held together with gorilla tape. 

Thirteen or 14 months ago the now deceased Service Manager at the dealership told me the original panels aren't reinforced and therefore sag.  They were supposed to be redesigning the panels with steel reinforcements so they wouldn't sag, they would be replaced under warranty.

He never mentioned anything about drain holes being enlarged or seals being replaced.  Either he did or didn't know about that.  It makes no difference as I said previously he passed away from cancer a little over a month ago.  With the selling and change of the dealership and change in Service Dept. people no one their knows about the problem.  My High Desert was the only one the former dealer sold.

Huskersfan,  I'm sure you know the v shaped seal is part of the third (rearmost) panel.  The whole panel has to be replaced.  It's ridiculous, but supposedly Chevrolet/GM is supposed to be replacing, under warranty, all three panels along with all seals and whatever else is included with TS8 18-135.

The day I took delivery of my truck the salesman was showing me the features of the easy lift tailgate.  Duh it was the third vehicle I had it on.  He didn't know how to open the side compartments via the electric lock button.  I easily figured it out by myself when I got home.  When he had the tail gate down I noticed the rear most panel locking lever on the passenger side was missing the yellow/green trim cab.  I think the next day he left the dealership and never passed on the deficiencies I noticed that he was supposed to pass on to the service dept.  Two weeks later a woman called to see why I hadn't yet completed the dealer satisfaction survey.  She told me the salesman had left.  Later that day I received a phone call from the then owner apologizing for the lack of attention to my vehicle.  The next morning I was at the dealership and met with the woman who had called and the Parts Manager.

The parts manager gave me the complete parts diagrams for the High Desert Package.  The trim cap was not shown on the parts diagram.  They had to order a whole new panel which was replaced at no cost to me.  It took about three weeks to come in.

My High Country with the High Desert Package was just under $70,000.   The $6995 High Desert Package should have actually cost just about $0.10.  From the mid 1980's thru 2001 I had several GMC and Chevrolet pickups without tonneau covers.  This High Desert Package makes about as much sense as an uncovered pickup box.  Especially after having 5 Chevy pickups with tonneau covers, which never leaked a drop, and two Avalanches, 2011, and 2013 which also never leaked a drop of water.

The dealership was sold about 3 months ago and the current owner has no interest whatsoever in even attempting to try to correct the problem.  It's what happens when a big time dealer from a large metropolitan area takes over a small town dealership.  All they are interested in is sell, sell, sell.  To hell with past loyal customers with long standing problems .  Come on in we'll appraise your truck, and sit down and work up a deal for a new truck we have in stock.  What you say you ordered your 2017.  Gee that's too bad.  We'll just stick it to you with the depreciation, and make a bundle on your trade in.

Minus the High Desert Package I love the truck.  If I had elected to just get a tonneau cover I'd be a very happy camper.  I ordered my truck with just every option except the kitchen sink and bathroom toilet in place of the back seat.  The High Desert Package is worth just about what a toilet expels  when one operates the flush handle/button.

As everyone can tell I'm not at all pleased with the High Desert Package fiasco.  Especially when they say that even after the TSB is completed there is no guarantee the box will remain dry.  Isn't a dry pickup box what we unfortunates expected when we elected to purchase a pickup with the High Desert Package?  Chevrolet please bring back the Avalanche.

Huskersfan, I gotcha.  It's to late to look at mine tonight, but I'll look tomorrow.  Unfortunately the parts manager didn't give me the parts diagram which shows the tailgate and associated seals.  He was only concerned with trying to find the lock lever trim cap.  If you don't have them I'd be glad to scan in the three parts diagrams, and associated part numbers list, as either .jpg files or PDF files, and send them to you as an attachment to your private email address.

I'd like to get a copy of Technical Service Bulletin, TSB 18-135, if anyone has one they can copy and post or send to my private email address.

I believe the retainers, push in clips, you are referring to are sometimes called Christmas tree clips.  At least in the parts list for my Husqvarna lawn tractor that's what they are called.  They are used to hold a trim panel in place on each side of the motor.  When I change the oil I have to remove one panel and the clips tend to get damaged.  So I ordered a half dozen of them and they call them Christmas tree clips.  I guess because if you set them with the head on the bottom they do sort of look like a Christmas tree.  In the past I always saw them referred to as push in clips or push in retainers.  I guess as long as they do the job the name isn't critical.

There's a online parts place which is owned by Malouf Chevrolet in North Brunswick, New Jersey.  Their online website is www.gmpartsxperts.com.  Their phone number is 800-769-6256.  I've talked to them in the past, and find them pretty helpful.  The name of the guy I spoke with is Keith Diperi.  He is pretty sharp.  He's the Parts Manager for Malouf Chevrolet, and also the gmpartsxperts.com web site.  Might be worth a call unless you haven't already been in contact with them.

Gentlemen; I have a copy of TSA 18-NA-135. Over the weekend I will scan and try to post it.

I filed a complaint with the Texas Dept of Motor Vehicles, then followed up with a lemon law claim

based on the fact that the HDP has design flaws and cannot do what the Chevrolet ads claims with Regard to having the ability to protect cargo from extreme elements.

i also sent a certified letter to the Chevrolet Customer Service center notifying them of my filing a lemon law complaint giving them  30 days to fully repair or replace the vehicle. 

I meet with with a different dealer next week for them to look at my HDP, if fact I chose the other dealer as I refuse to go to the selling dealer after they were less than honest on two occasions.

All HDP drivers need to file complaints with their state DMV and file lemon law complaints

so we all can benefit.

i will post what happens next with Chevrolet as I am standing firm that they must make good on the HDP, take the sucker off and cash refund the value of the option or replace the vehicle along with a cash settlement.

No one should have to pay for any fixes or repairs on this edition.