In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Texas Red

96-98 Chevy GMC truck question

I am considering buying a second truck once I sell my 2005 in a year or so. Wondering if any of the 96-98 trucks [1500s or 2500s] had four wheel disc brakes? I am targeting those specific years because of the motor and interior. I have an 89 and I don't care much for the interior much [I will be switching it out in the coming years for the newer style]. The idea is to get away from another truck payment [once the 2005 is paid for and sold I will have enough cash to buy outright].

Also, I know the 5.7 motor was available, but what year was the 5.3 introduced into the trucks?

I believe the 5.3 was introduced in 1999 with the GMT 800. As far as rear disc brakes, I believe you will be more likely to find them on a 2500. Again, I'm no expert on this in any way, but just saying this from my own observations. Good luck!

You should be able to find a newer rig for Cheap. Maybe a 2003'ish for around $1500'ish. 

What you pay for a vehicle has absolutely nothing to do with its value, mechanical condition or its reliability. 

Yessir, I am a well seasoned buyer, just don't know much about the 88-98 trucks. Any other year set back to the 70's I can tell you just about anything about 'em. Thought about the 2001-2003 set of trucks, but usually here in Texas they are very high miles when you find them. The only ones in the $1500 range need a LOT of work.

I will have around $6k to spend and have to have 4 wheel discs on this next one. With the 1-ton I don't drive it enough to worry about it yet but I will be swapping in rear discs on it eventually. So back to the question...rear discs on the 96-98's?

Sorry, stock setup was rear drums on these models until the ‘99 redesign...and even then only for a few years until they went back to disc/drum.

The hydroboost setup on the 3/4-ton and up reportedly gives better pedal feel than the 1/2-ton setup. Several have made the swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for your answer....well that makes my mind up, next one will be 99-03.

Rear brakes on half tons in that year range were drum.

and no 03 truck for $1500 is going to be any good.  03-06 pickups are still bringing 6-8 grand in good condition.  my 06 still values for 12k.

3/4 ton 99-03 trucks will have 4 wheel disc, half tons do not.

I didn't know that about the drums on half tons, I thought they had discs then got dropped back to drums because of the e-brake problem, thanks for letting me know. Yeah the values are still good. I sold my 05 with 385k smoking for $2600. I knew the $1500 price was not valid on anything I'd want to drive daily. I guess this one I have now will be my last one. Gotta have four wheel discs and I already have a one ton.

Well I finally found proof that I am not crazy. I thought for sure the 2000-2003s had rear discs and sure enough they did on half ton LT's [as well as the 2500/3500s]. Here's a brochure page clip from 2002 on that particular model. Also found someone selling a rear axle with discs on it from 2003 on FB in a group I follow. Now the hard part will be finding a 100k mileage or so truck when it's time.

image_67511809.JPG

image_67531777.JPG

Why do you think 4 wheel discs are necessary? The rear drum brakes are a better setup IMO. They work just as well and you get a parking  brake that will actually hold the truck. 

Edited by Steveo_supremo

Don't think....I know. I am wanting to be able to do my brakes myself and don't need emergency brakes as much as I do ease of changing the rotors and pads myself. I live in flatland Texas and rarely park on an incline of any kind that the parking pin won't hold. When it comes to stopping power hauling a trailer, nothing beats a disc.

On 7/31/2018 at 10:19 PM, east3021 said:

Sorry, stock setup was rear drums on these models until the ‘99 redesign...and even then only for a few years until they went back to disc/drum.

The hydroboost setup on the 3/4-ton and up reportedly gives better pedal feel than the 1/2-ton setup. Several have made the swap.

I didn't know they went back to rear drums.  The '01 half-ton I bought new had rear discs.

What years are you talking about the 3/4-ton(+) hydroboost setup?  I had a 98 C2500 for years and after a 5 year gap, bought a 97 C1500 in June and I hate the brake feel.  I fully bled it, but wasn't thinking about the ABS pump, so it still has some of the old black fluid in it.  I need to stop procrastinating and get that flushed out.  I guess I'll put the axle on jackstands and run it so I can hit the brakes and trigger the ABS to pump, drawing in new fluid I'll fill the reservoir with.

I’m not sure what years the 3/4 and 1-tons used the hydroboost, but would assume that it was for the majority of the model run.

A scanner can be used to bleed the ABS module. It would be followed with a bleed at all four corners. A shop did mine two or three years ago for around $80. That may be a more effective way to purge the air.

I have a 96 gmc 3500 hard starting, I replaced all components to the fuel system and still dose not send signal to fuel pump to turn on , what could it possibly be need a direction to go in to trouble shoot and repair the problem