Chevrolet Corvette – Least Driven, Longest Owned Passenger Car In America - Tell Us Why

Gorehamj

corvette grand sport white 17.jpeg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
7-31-2018

Two recent studies done by our friends at iSeeCars.com have looked at two different aspects of vehicle ownership. The first study looked at which vehicles are driven the most. That report also had information on which were driven the least and the Corvette came out on “top” in that listing. The newest study casts that in an even more interesting light.

least driven cars iseecars july 18.png
The new study looked at which vehicles owners keep the longest. Interestingly, the Corvette was again at one end of the Bell curve. It is the “passenger car” that owners keep the longest. 

cars kept longest iseecars july 18.png
iSeeCars.com’s CEO, Phong Ly explains the Corvette’s long average stay, saying, “Sports cars tend to not be primary vehicles, which is why owners might hold on to them longer than the average car since they are not subjected to as much wear and tear.”

Do we have any Corvette owners in the group? If so, how long have you had yours and why do you think the Corvette is the longest held, least driven car? Feel free to chime in if you haven't gotten your 'Vette yet too. 

I own a 2016 C-7. It has about 10000 miles on it, which some people would consider a lot for a Corvette.  I live in upstate NY.  Lots of snow, tons of salt. It's my wifes daily driver. It's a car. i don't believe in keeping it in the garage just for bluebird pretty days. What good is it under a cover in your garage?

We don't abuse it . It is not driven in the snow,  nor on the roads when wet with salt. Cold, dry days, she is driving it. Bad days, we take my truck.  I'm retired and I  have the luxury of having no schedule. It's an awesome performing, beautiful car. Worthless just sitting pretty not being driven.

Other guys never get the tires dirty. To each his own.

• Like 2

Because some of them (note again, some of them) believe they are sitting on a gold mine of sorts.  That the sun will melt it, the rain will melt it, etc.  Honestly, if any modern day cars will be future collectibles, its the special editions (Corvette Collectors Edition, C7R Edition, Carbon 65, etc.).  Same for some other modern cars. 

• Like 1

Almost nobody uses a vette as a daily driver, they are for Sunday cruises or to go to the drive-in on Friday night.

*When* I get my hands on my 1982 collector's edition stingray, it will probably only come out of the garage an average of once a week in the summer. If I get one of those, I plan to keep it more than 9 years.

• Like 1

I had an 02 Z06 that I drove daily for about 5 years. Rain, snow, sleet, whatever East Tennessee weather had to offer. I also have my 70 convertible that I have had since around 99-2000 time frame. I have spent the money on restoring it to where it can be driven any where. It has an LS motor, 5 speed transmission, rack and pinion steering and 3.55 rear gear. It is easy to drive on the interstate and it will blow the tires off if you want. The bad is, it's black, has no AC(yet) and when I installed the convertible top on the frame, I did not make the top frame fit the windows first. So it now leaks in the rain. No biggie, it's not my daily driver.

Can't find my pics online anymore. Here is a short video.

Edited by Eddie 70
  • Like 2

I don't see the problem with having a car be a garage queen. Everyone has their dream car that they want to keep around forever. The same thoughts were probably made back when the classics were sold new and no one thought a Nova, Chevelle, or an El Camino were going to be worth something one day. I may be partial as I have an '88 IROC-Z with 18k on it.

• Like 1

My wife and I both have vehicles we’ve kept a long time with frequent but not daily use. They last longer and no worries about them getting stolen or abused like daily drivers. If you want to daily them that’s cool too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because the middle aged white guys with grey hair that own them are afraid to drive them! LOL!

There’s a difference between driving for enjoyment and running an errand. I’ll drive my Camry to Walmart and on trips. I’ll drive my toy for fun and events. I’ve been doing that since my 20s same with the wife. My oldest ride is 25 years old, newest 1. It’s called options not fear. If you really enjoy your ride they last a long time that way and increase in value. I would say that’s called smart.

There’s a difference between driving for enjoyment and running an errand. I’ll drive my Camry to Walmart and on trips. I’ll drive my toy for fun and events. I’ve been doing that since my 20s same with the wife. My oldest ride is 25 years old, newest 1. It’s called options not fear. If you really enjoy your ride they last a long time that way and increase in value. I would say that’s called smart.

I was joking.. drive it however, whenever you like.
I was just pointing out that 95% of corvettes are driven by older white guys with grey hair, or their bleached blonde wives!!

I was joking.. drive it however, whenever you like.

I was just pointing out that 95% of corvettes are driven by older white guys with grey hair, or their bleached blonde wives!!

Usually by that time it’s blonde wife’s because the older guy can’t get in and out, of the car.

• Like 1

My daily driver is my '16 Sierra SLT 1500 w/ a 6.2L.  My sunny day car is my '05 Corvette Convertible, now with 56xxx miles.  For one, at 6'4", the drivers seat doesn't slide back far enough nor does the wheel tilt up high enough on the new C7's to pivot my way in & out without the top of my thighs rubbing on the steering wheel, unlike my C6.  Additionally, my car still gets looks and is fun to drive, so why not keep it around?    

I think it's because the only people who can afford the new ones aren't car guys. They're buying them as status symbols, and to show off in front of their office buddies.

If I could afford one, I'd drive the wheels off the thing  ... provided it wasn't built with the same quality control as my Silverado ...

Have you priced a vette lately? You don’t have to go to far up model on a pickup to pass a vette on price. Worth the money comparably speaking.