Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
03pewterZ

Front End Humming between 45-55mph

Recommended Posts

As the title says I have a loud humming in the front end of my 09 silverado 4x4 which is at its worst between 45-55mph and upon deceleration. It seems to be coming from the front left side of the truck as the noise is not as audible when sitting on passenger side. It is not really that noticeable at other speeds. I chalked it up to wheel bearings and replaced both to no avail. I am going to have my tires rotated today to see if noise changes position. 

 

I have noticed scalloping on some of my tires but didn't attribute it to that because I have had worn tires before that have never made noise like this or this loud. It is a fairly high pitched hum/whiring noise. Tires are 285/65/18 bfg a/t 2s. I will post results after rotation today but do you think it could be a tire?

 

 

If it is not a tire where do I got from here? CV axles or front diff? Could anything related to the braking system cause this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, 03pewterZ said:

As the title says I have a loud humming in the front end of my 09 silverado 4x4 which is at its worst between 45-55mph and upon deceleration. It seems to be coming from the front left side of the truck as the noise is not as audible when sitting on passenger side. It is not really that noticeable at other speeds. I chalked it up to wheel bearings and replaced both to no avail. I am going to have my tires rotated today to see if noise changes position. 

 

I have noticed scalloping on some of my tires but didn't attribute it to that because I have had worn tires before that have never made noise like this or this loud. It is a fairly high pitched hum/whiring noise. Tires are 285/65/18 bfg a/t 2s. I will post results after rotation today but do you think it could be a tire?

 

 

If it is not a tire where do I got from here? CV axles or front diff? Could anything related to the braking system cause this?

Do you have access to get the front of the vehicle off the ground? I am betting more than likely it is a Hub problem. Pretty common problem and an easy repair. You can check it by lifting the front of the vehicle and checking for play in the hub by shifting the tire in and out from the top and bottom of the tire. It could have play in it. But it could also be play from the upper ball joint as well so you need to make sure the hub is the part moving. If there is no play you can get someone to spin the wheel and listen to the bearing using a mechanics stethoscope or putting a long screwdriver on it and listening to the handle (Sounds funny but it works)

 

Just a direction you can go in. Here is a video of a hub replacement so you can see what kinda job it is in case it is a hub. Parts and all are in the description.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I thought it was the hubs I have just had both replaced and it didn't go away. I will check out the ball joints however as the truck has 140k and has never had ball joints replaced to my knowledge. I'm not hopeful it is in the tires as I have owned many sets some wearing unevenly and have never heard any noise like this coming from tires. Sounds more mechanical in nature but maybe I will get lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

      My 03 has a vibration at 65 and I too have already replaced hubs.  Another thing I have not checked that supposedly can generate vibrations is U joints.  Not sure the easiest way to check those, but they're relatively cheap so might just replace them for the heck of it.  Glad to see you back on the forum Chris.  You've been absent for awhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually might have found my issue. Was looking at front end and noticed drivers side cv axle shaft was black and had grease all over it where it had blown out. Passenger side shaft was clean. You guys think this is the likely source?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does it make noise (clicking/clunking) at low speed going around a sharp turn?  That's usually how they sound when first starting to fail.  Just a matter of time though with a cut boot.  I dont think they are too expensive and not terribly hard to replace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No I haven't heard any clicking/clunking while turning but I have noticed on a couple of occasions I have the sensation of something clicking in the front end through the gas pedal but not while I was turning so maybe not related IDK. Usually while I'm driving straight at lower speeds. I'm gonna get it checked out to be sure. Hopefully it just needs to be cleaned and have a new boot installed then packed with grease.

Edited by 03pewterZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2018 at 9:05 AM, 03pewterZ said:

No I haven't heard any clicking/clunking while turning but I have noticed on a couple of occasions I have the sensation of something clicking in the front end through the gas pedal but not while I was turning so maybe not related IDK. Usually while I'm driving straight at lower speeds. I'm gonna get it checked out to be sure. Hopefully it just needs to be cleaned and have a new boot installed then packed with grease.

is the grease near the wheel side or near the differential side?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2018 at 4:38 PM, 03pewterZ said:

Actually might have found my issue. Was looking at front end and noticed drivers side cv axle shaft was black and had grease all over it where it had blown out. Passenger side shaft was clean. You guys think this is the likely source?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
 

Here is one thing you can do to rule out the differential. disconnect the vent hose to the differential (On the drivers side top of the case) and hook a piece of hose (you will have to buy a roll from the parts store but you can get about 15 feet for 8 dollars) and route it from the top of the vent away from the wheel up the drivers door and into the window of the truck. Go drive your truck and listen the the hose. If it is the differential you will hear it. Also do the same test with the transfer case. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah sorry haven't updated. Grease was on wheel side. Got CV axle replaced and tires rotated and no change. At this point I'm fearing something is going on with the diff. I will take you advice for checking the diff and post results.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.