Rust proofing new holes for Husky mud gaurds?

Already bought the flaps and wondering what recommendations anyone has? 2015 GMC 1/2 ton/1500 Denali. Just want to coat the new holes with something to possibly prevent rust/corrosion. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Kris

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:22 AM, twoheeldrive said:

Return them and buy Weathertech's.    They use existing holes and a very cleaver clamp.   Easy install; no drilling.

I have the wide Denali running boards and the ones I purchased cover more of that giant snow and slush catcher.  That's why I went with the ones I did.

Kris

• 7 months later...

Check out these:  ( Made in USA )

https://duraflap.com/

Mud flaps custom made, drill-less mudflaps are made from the finest quality materials available and designed not to tear, peel, fade, rust or break.

Our no drill custom mud flaps are made from a 3/8" polyethylene/rubber blend; with anti-sail and anti-spray capabilities.

I installed mudflaps on my 2012 Silverado that required drilling. I did some research and found 3M Ultrapro Autobody Sealant to be highly recommended. I believe that I found it on Amazon.

I put a liberal amount on the screw threads after inserting them through the mudflap so that the sealant was between the mudflap and fender. That was in 2012. I never saw any rust where I drilled the holes.

On a similar note, I have a 2018 that came with mud flaps from the dealer.  They are screwed on and after only 3+ months of owning the truck, the heads of the screws are rusting.  I’m thinking of removing them and using stainless screws.  I haven’t removed a screw yet, but they look like a mini drywall screw.  Phillips head, short, with a very sharp point.  Might be hard to find an exact replacement in stainless.  I guess since the holes are there already, I’ll just need to find something that matches the threads.  I wish I’d realized.  I can’t believe the dealer would drill a hole in that area of the truck.  With the salt we use here and as exposed as that part of the truck is, rust is probably already forming in the wheel well metal. 

The metal is zinc coated I believe so it will "resist" rust naturally. When I installed my gator backs I filled the drill holes with a finger tip full of grease and then used stainless bolts. Every couple years I pull the fender flares and mud flaps off to clean the metal and dirt out of there, coat the flare mounting area with a bit of aerosol oil, re-grease the bolt holes and reinstall. No issues or rot yet. Any oil will help with rust, but the grease in the holes will withstand weather better than any oil product will. 

Edited by L86 All Terrain