Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

I did this, since my 2016 was one of the trucks that had the $200 rebate for having the old 2.0 hmi and no apple carplay or android auto.

However I went through these guys, https://www.gm-navigation.com

It's a little pricey, but the hmi is already programmed with your Vin and whatever options you want. And mine works great, the only glitchy thing I've ever encountered is the pandora app on my home screen can be finicky, but pandora plays fine through android auto so whagevs.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 8/1/2018 at 4:18 PM, lovelessjl said:

I did this, since my 2016 was one of the trucks that had the $200 rebate for having the old 2.0 hmi and no apple carplay or android auto.

However I went through these guys, https://www.gm-navigation.com

It's a little pricey, but the hmi is already programmed with your Vin and whatever options you want. And mine works great, the only glitchy thing I've ever encountered is the pandora app on my home screen can be finicky, but pandora plays fine through android auto so whagevs.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Damn $1200!??!  I don't need it that badly!

• Like 2

Yeah, if I'm going to drop that much money I'm going to gut it and replace it with aftermarket.  Those guys look like they offer a good service and I know a lot of people here are happy with them but I don't want factory Nav and I won't pay a premium for it.  I just want Carplay added.

Module arrives Wednesday.  Had the truck in the shop on Friday and got the radio software updated to try and alleviate any potential issues there. 

If I can get the module in Wednesday night I'll definitely update, good or bad. 

Only roadblocks I see right now is I have the old USB ports in my console (with the SD card slot), some guys have had to upgrade to the new USB ports.  That said, the guys that have had issues with the old ports were on android which apparently requires more bandwidth than Carplay.  I'm on iOS so I'm hoping for the best.

56 minutes ago, Darmichar said:

Module arrives Wednesday.  Had the truck in the shop on Friday and got the radio software updated to try and alleviate any potential issues there. 

If I can get the module in Wednesday night I'll definitely update, good or bad. 

Only roadblocks I see right now is I have the old USB ports in my console (with the SD card slot), some guys have had to upgrade to the new USB ports.  That said, the guys that have had issues with the old ports were on android which apparently requires more bandwidth than Carplay.  I'm on iOS so I'm hoping for the best.

I hope it works as I want to add CarPlay to my 15 especially with iOS 12 adding Waze and Google Maps. I seen some listings on eBay that offer the 2.5 module without GPS and USB ports already programmed to your VIN for like $600. If it can be had for cheaper that will be great

3 hours ago, risk235 said:

I hope it works as I want to add CarPlay to my 15 especially with iOS 12 adding Waze and Google Maps. I seen some listings on eBay that offer the 2.5 module without GPS and USB ports already programmed to your VIN for like $600. If it can be had for cheaper that will be great

The third party Nav apps coming to iOS is what finally lit the fire under me. 

Also, don’t pay $600 for just the HMI module. Look in the comments of the YouTube video. There’s a guy listed there selling them for far cheaper than that. 

Alright, Ladies and Gentlemen. 2.5 HMI module arrived today and I swapped it out. It takes longer to get the glove boxes out than it does to swap the module. 

The bad news, everything except Apple CarPlay works. It just doesn’t detect the phone. That said, I have not yet upgraded the USB connector in the armrest. That will now be my next purchase to see if that makes it work. 

If if that doesn’t, the next thing is apparently the radio module and I have been told that is relatively reasonable in price too. 

5 minutes ago, Darmichar said:

Alright, Ladies and Gentlemen. 2.5 HMI module arrived today and I swapped it out. It takes longer to get the glove boxes out than it does to swap the module. 

The bad news, everything except Apple CarPlay works. It just doesn’t detect the phone. That said, I have not yet upgraded the USB connector in the armrest. That will now be my next purchase to see if that makes it work. 

If if that doesn’t, the next thing is apparently the radio module and I have been told that is relatively reasonable in price too. 

I think it will work with the USB connector based on the comments on the YouTube video. It seems that the people having problems are with Android. I’m going to order the HMI and USB connector 

49 minutes ago, risk235 said:

I think it will work with the USB connector based on the comments on the YouTube video. It seems that the people having problems are with Android. I’m going to order the HMI and USB connector 

Keep in mind, my truck is a 2014, non-Bose, non-Nav. The people that this has worked for on iOS, from what I’ve seen, are in 2015’s. I’m prepared to ultimately spend whatever I have to to make this work, I’m just trying to logically get to that point as cheap as I can.

• Like 2