Darmichar

Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

2014 Silverado LT Rock star or super star or shooting star or death star edition, something like that

14’s have HD. I believe it’s 15+ doesn’t. My mom’s 16 high country doesn’t have it.

2014 z71 LTZ
Volant Intake
Borla Exhaust
Diablo

I looked through the 2014 owners manual and I couldn't find any reference to HD radio.

All of this may be for nought for me.  Local dealer has the 18's cut to a point I can trade mine in and be the same or  lower my payment at the same time.  Going to go tomorrow and see what kind of number they slide across the table.

Edited by Darmichar

I looked through the 2014 owners manual and I couldn't find any reference to HD radio.

I have a 14 and I’ve got HD radio stations. My moms 16 does not.

2014 z71 LTZ
Volant Intake
Borla Exhaust
Diablo

My 14 Sierra has the HD radio stations. Even after I updated to the 2.5 module (17 Silverado), I still have the HD radio.

The one thing I did lose with the 2.0 to 2.5 upgrade was the ability to pause & rewind music.

Ok..I received my eBay 2.5 hmi from dokus223 yesterday and just finished installing. Works as promised. So far I haven’t found anything I’ve lost, with the exception pausing and rewinding songs, which I never used. Siri hears me and responds, phone calls sound great and I now can use my iOS maps on screen. Happy customer!

• Like 5

I'd love to get AA in my 2015.5.  I've got the 8" display, non-nav, that WILL read text messages, so I am assumung I have the 2.5 hmi already.  Following to see where this ends up.  Thanks to all for the work you've already done.

Edited by OldBlue61
Spelling, d'oh!

Well I just tried going to a dealership to get my radio updated and the guy is asking me why do I want to do it, what’s wrong with my radio, how many miles, and if they do it and nothing changes I’m still going to have to pay $150. So I tell him that I swapped the HMI and he tells me there is no way, you need it programmed. So I told him I bought it online and the guy already programmed it and then proceeds to tell me that’s illegal, blah...blah. Then tells me they can’t do it today even though it’s barely 1 and they close at 4. Ugh...guess I’m going to have to wait till next week. I don’t know why they need a reason to update the radio. 

Edited by risk235

39 minutes ago, OldBlue61 said:

I'd love to get AA in my 2015.5.  I've got the 8" display, non-nav, that WILL read text messages, so I am assumung I have the 2.5 hmi already.  Following to see where this ends up.  Thanks to all for the work you've already done.

You still have the 2.0 HMI just an updated version. I’m on the last process of completing the project which is getting the radio module updated. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, risk235 said:

Well I just tried going to a dealership to get my radio updated and the guy is asking me why do I want to do it, what’s wrong with my radio, how many miles, and if they do it and nothing changes I’m still going to have to pay $150. So I tell him that I swapped the HMI and he tells me there is no way you need it programmed. So I told him I bought it online and the guy already programmed it and then proceeds to tell me that’s illegal, blah...blah. Then tells me they can’t do it today even though it’s barely 1 and they close at 4. Ugh...guess I’m going to have to wait till next week. I don’t know why they need a reason to update the radio. 

I've never understood why dealerships cause such a fuss like they have a personal stake in your vehicle. I like my 2014 but I want AA and Carplay, please shut up and make $150 off me.

4 hours ago, Draphty said:

Ok..I received my eBay 2.5 hmi from dokus223 yesterday and just finished installing. Works as promised. So far I haven’t found anything I’ve lost, with the exception pausing and rewinding songs, which I never used. Siri hears me and responds, phone calls sound great and I now can use my iOS maps on screen. Happy customer!

Did you replace anything else other than the HMI? What year is your truck?

Hmi only...My truck is a 2016 that should have had CarPlay/AA from the factory, but was produced when gm had a shortage.

5 hours ago, risk235 said:

Well I just tried going to a dealership to get my radio updated and the guy is asking me why do I want to do it, what’s wrong with my radio, how many miles, and if they do it and nothing changes I’m still going to have to pay $150. So I tell him that I swapped the HMI and he tells me there is no way, you need it programmed. So I told him I bought it online and the guy already programmed it and then proceeds to tell me that’s illegal, blah...blah. Then tells me they can’t do it today even though it’s barely 1 and they close at 4. Ugh...guess I’m going to have to wait till next week. I don’t know why they need a reason to update the radio. 

Your dealer is p!$$!ng me off. Lol. I'm waiting on your results. 

2 minutes ago, Mike_4843 said:

Your dealer is p!$$!ng me off. Lol. I'm waiting on your results. 

Well the only reason I went there is because I dropped off the wife and kid at a store and that dealership was nearby. I’m definitely going to a different one next week.