Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

48 minutes ago, sk said:

Do NOT install it without getting it programmed for your VIN.  It will set flags in the BCM that can't be cleared.

If your sig is correct you have a 2018 which comes with HD radio already.

Assuming you're referring to tamper flags? I'm not really concerned about that at this point. It's my understanding that these are just used by gm internally when they decide to work on a vehicle?

I don't plan on using the dealership for any of my servicing, I'm out of warranty, so I'm not very worried about any of that. 

Am I correct about the flags you're speaking of?

1 hour ago, sk said:

Do NOT install it without getting it programmed for your VIN.  It will set flags in the BCM that can't be cleared.

If your sig is correct you have a 2018 which comes with HD radio already.

Yesterday, I had a 2014. 

1 hour ago, sk said:

No a dealer can't do it.  Their software only allows them to program an OEM option based on your VIN.

Just have Chris White do it.  He costs a little more but is not a fly-by-night operation.  You will get a module delivered back to you that is plug-and-play ready for your truck.

It looks like he's really affordable compared to other options. I'll gladly pay him $50 to do my radio module compared to $150 somewhere else.

15 minutes ago, Druder said:

It looks like he's really affordable compared to other options. I'll gladly pay him $50 to do my radio module compared to $150 somewhere else.

Have you been in touch with him? He stated I would need to get my HMI and Radio Module programmed together as they are paired. 

27 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

Have you been in touch with him? He stated I would need to get my HMI and Radio Module programmed together as they are paired. 

I'm in the process of emailing him right now, I'll let you know as I have an hmi 2.5 sitting here that's already programmed to my VIN and that would be a bummer.

Got the hmi in today from dokus on eBay and installed it. Android auto works, maps, waze and phone calls in/out work. Google assistant doesn't hear me and I don't hear it, and I can't get sound from Google play music or maps directions but I can live with these (for now at least)

My truck's a 2015.5 with a build date of 6/2015. I did try just the updated USB plug first, no dice it needed the 2.5 hmi module. Also the radio module # is 13506455, attached a pic incase that wasn't the right number off of it. If I attempt the dealer firmware upgrade I'll post the progress but for now I'm content.

This thread is full of useful info, thanks to all!

IMG_20180822_124821.jpg

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, rahool82 said:

Got the hmi in today from dokus on eBay and installed it. Android auto works, maps, waze and phone calls in/out work. Google assistant doesn't hear me and I don't hear it, and I can't get sound from Google play music or maps directions but I can live with these (for now at least)

My truck's a 2015.5 with a build date of 6/2015. I did try just the updated USB plug first, no dice it needed the 2.5 hmi module. Also the radio module # is 13506455, attached a pic incase that wasn't the right number off of it. If I attempt the dealer firmware upgrade I'll post the progress but for now I'm content.

IMG_20180822_124821.jpg

If you do get the radio module firmware update, I'd recommend throwing the old HMI back in prior to going to the dealer.  When I had mine done, apparently it checks both the HMI and the radio module firmware and updates them both if needed. 

At least that's what my work order stated when I had mine done.

I don't know that an update to the HMI module if it needed it would mess things up or not, I'd hate to chance that.

2 hours ago, rahool82 said:

IMG_20180822_124821.jpg

Thank you for sharing your radio! And please let us know if the firmware update solves your problem.

Also, to be noted, you have a U2K radio. 

I've been told it's important to distinguish your radio type and stick with that when doing the update. There are 3 types of radio versions that we're interested. Theyre as follows;

U2K: Sirius XM compatible radio. If you have an I05 or I06 you'll more than likely have this at the very least. You'll know if your radio module is incompatible if it has a blank space where the XM radio code is in the quoted picture above me.

U2M: Appears to be the same as U2K with the added option of HD Audio.

UQA: RPO code for Bose premium audio. I have been told if you have a UQA system you will need to get a radio module that also was from a UQA doner. As far as I know, the radio itself will still only show a U2M so it's best to check the RPO codes of the doner VIN to ensure it was a Bose system as well. If you have access to TIS2WEB you can check the RPO's of any GM VIN. If any of you need this service done please PM me. 

Hope that helps some people. Here's an article from infotainment that has more info on radio RPO codes. Enjoy. :driving:

EDIT: Here's a 400 page PDF of RPO code meanings from AC Delco

Edited by th3magpi3
New RPO Doc

8 minutes ago, Darmichar said:

If you do get the radio module firmware update, I'd recommend throwing the old HMI back in prior to going to the dealer.  When I had mine done, apparently it checks both the HMI and the radio module firmware and updates them both if needed. 

At least that's what my work order stated when I had mine done.

I don't know that an update to the HMI module if it needed it would mess things up or not, I'd hate to chance that.

No it doesn't. The radio update is not a sequence update. If anything your dealer just updated both for you because they work together. Just specify to them you only want your radio module (A11) done and not your HMI. 

I updated my radio software in my truck with SPS (what the dealer uses) and it had no ill effects on my HMI. Don't worry about removing your new HMI. 

So besides the whole leave hmi or swap back to old one debate, if I did go to get the radio updated, is there something I should specifically tell them? Like it's laggy? I would have never have thought to even update a radio, and I'm sure the dealer will have hundreds of questions as to why I think I need it. Just looking for something better than "well I upgraded my hmi to get Android auto and these nice fellas on the internet told me I should do this"

I did get the truck as a ceritified pre owned so I don't wanna give them any ammo to use against me if I ever did need to use the warranty for something, so I probably would just throw the old back hmi in to get radio updated. 

3 minutes ago, rahool82 said:

So besides the whole leave hmi or swap back to old one debate, if I did go to get the radio updated, is there something I should specifically tell them? Like it's laggy? I would have never have thought to even update a radio, and I'm sure the dealer will have hundreds of questions as to why I think I need it. Just looking for something better than "well I upgraded my hmi to get Android auto and these nice fellas on the internet told me I should do this"

I did get the truck as a ceritified pre owned so I don't wanna give them any ammo to use against me if I ever did need to use the warranty for something, so I probably would just throw the old back hmi in to get radio updated. 

Just tell them to take a look at your radio module software version and see if it's current. If it isn't, ask if they will update your radio module software.

Updates are periodically released by GM to fix errors and improve operation of their systems. 

Should take around 30 minutes tops. 

4 hours ago, risk235 said:

Going either tomorrow or Friday to get my radio updated. I’m just going say that my radio sometimes stutters when listening to music 

Don't tell them that because odds are they'll spend time trying to reproduce the issue in shop. Just say you want to verify that your radio module is up to date and if they could update it and provide you with a receipt of the current software version you'd appreciate it.Simple as that. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

Don't tell them that because odds are they'll spend time trying to reproduce the issue in shop. Just say you want to verify that your radio module is up to date and if they could update it and provide you with a receipt of the current software version you'd appreciate it.Simple as that. 

I agree, you go in with a non-existent problem they're going to take their time trying to 'solve' it (billing you more).