Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

10 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

Darren I hate that your solution to solving this issue was to buy a new truck by the way LOL

I know, I feel bad for starting this and bailing.  I just couldn't pass up that deal.  I knew I was up for a new truck soon and I really don't like the '19 so I pulled the trigger on the last of this body style I could get.

Just now, Darmichar said:

I know, I feel bad for starting this and bailing.  I just couldn't pass up that deal.  I knew I was up for a new truck soon and I really don't like the '19 so I pulled the trigger on the last of this body style I could get.

If you ever want to donate your old carplay HMI to a good cause (reverse engineering) I'm more than happy to help ;)

3 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

If you ever want to donate your old carplay HMI to a good cause (reverse engineering) I'm more than happy to help ;)

I have a guy at work looking to get carplay in his '14 that offered to pay me what I paid or I would have sent it to you.  If he bails, it's yours.

Just now, Darmichar said:

I have a guy at work looking to get carplay in his '14 that offered to pay me what I paid or I would have sent it to you.  If he bails, it's yours.

No worries. I've been digging deeper and I believe in order to program these modules we need to do some manipulating of the VIN over the CAN Bus system. In basic terms, there are "passwords" required for some modules if they're locked.

I plan on building a bench top programming harness and taking a crack at programming some of these things off-board. 

However, that all takes time and money, so I've gotta work a little more and wait a little longer.

I'll keep you all posted.

-Mag

• Like 2

Damichar, I’m glad you found your solution. I’m also glad you started this, as I gained more information and was able to solve my issues. I’ve been looking for a solution, but this thread caused me to dig deeper.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Draphty said:

Damichar, I’m glad you found your solution. I’m also glad you started this, as I gained more information and was able to solve my issues. I’ve been looking for a solution, but this thread caused me to dig deeper.

I'm glad this is helping people enjoy their trucks more.  It never would have crossed my mind to swap out the HMI/radio modules to get Carplay/AA had I not came across this video.

• Like 1

Has anyone sent HMI and/or radio modules into dokus for programming? I have some 2017 modules in hand. When I asked him about this, he said he would do it, but his normal process was for you to ship in the modules 1st and THEN he sends you a paypal request for payment (to unlock/program the modules) ... 

I wondered if anyone had success in doing that, as it seemed sort of sketchy that he wanted the modules sent to him w/no paypal payment prior (as I'd have no recourse of action if he decided to just keep them).

Does he have a vetted business that someone can confirm?

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:07 PM, sk said:

No a dealer can't do it.  Their software only allows them to program an OEM option based on your VIN.

Just have Chris White do it.  He costs a little more but is not a fly-by-night operation.  You will get a module delivered back to you that is plug-and-play ready for your truck.

who is chris white?

14 hours ago, dubwise said:

Has anyone sent HMI and/or radio modules into dokus for programming? I have some 2017 modules in hand. When I asked him about this, he said he would do it, but his normal process was for you to ship in the modules 1st and THEN he sends you a paypal request for payment (to unlock/program the modules) ... 

I wondered if anyone had success in doing that, as it seemed sort of sketchy that he wanted the modules sent to him w/no paypal payment prior (as I'd have no recourse of action if he decided to just keep them).

He has a bunch of very positive feedback on eBay. I don’t think he would take the chance of screwing that up over a couple hundred dollars. I’d trust him. 

15 hours ago, dubwise said:

Send it to Chris white. He is cheaper than Dokus. $200 for both modules vs $150 per module from Dokus

• Like 1

3 hours ago, th3magpi3 said:

Send it to Chris white. He is cheaper than Dokus. $200 for both modules vs $150 per module from Dokus

Does he still do it? His website now says to go to MVI for this service. 

image.png.ec18ae227e4e8d2f00d5fff65478308d.png