Darmichar

Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

I think he potentially might be contracted by MVI to do programming to be honest. Just send him an email and he will sort you out. 

• Like 1

Also if any of your are rolling in it, alpine has a pretty badass new system with carplay and android auto

I have read this entire thread and I'm still confused as hell. I have a 2014 running io5 non navi. 8" screen. All I want is to add Android auto. If I purchase this what side affects am I looking at and will it work?! Also if anyone has other insight on a cheaper way to accomplish this I appreciate it
https://digital-dash-solutions.com/product/2014-2015-io5-with-carplay-android-auto-upgrade/

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, Perseus said:

I have read this entire thread and I'm still confused as hell. I have a 2014 running io5 non navi. 8" screen. All I want is to add Android auto. If I purchase this what side affects am I looking at and will it work?! Also if anyone has other insight on a cheaper way to accomplish this I appreciate it
https://digital-dash-solutions.com/product/2014-2015-io5-with-carplay-android-auto-upgrade/

That is the most expensive solution and one that people in this thread are attempting to avoid because let's face it, $750 is a lot of cabbage to connect your phone to your truck. It is however the easiest solution and probably 99.99% success rate if you decide to go that route.

52 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

I think he potentially might be contracted by MVI to do programming to be honest. Just send him an email and he will sort you out. 

I'm waiting to hear back, I've heard from others that he usually responds on the weekend but the site gives weekday hours so Idk. If I don't hear from him by Monday I will see if anyone has his direct email.

Posted (edited)
On 2018-08-24 at 9:06 AM, Perseus said:

Yea do not go this route lol.

Go buy an HMI from dokus. 

Get the USB connector GM 13509942

Then buy a compatible radio module GM 84278527 or any from any 2016-2018 Silverado/Sierra.

It's unfortunate that programming costs as much as the actual hardware but it's our only option currently while we research more on how to program them ourselves. 

Total cost will be $400 - $500 (Parts will be $200-$250, programming will be around $200 - $250)

Hope this helps. 

Edited by th3magpi3
  • Like 1

Bad news. I got my radio updated and nothing. Only thing I noticed is that MyLink responses a bit faster and CarPlay opens faster. So I guess now my only option is to get a radio module. Just a bit bummed out since I spent a pretty penny updating the radio. 

Is is it possible to get a radio module already programmed to your VIN from one of the guys?

9 minutes ago, risk235 said:

Bad news. I got my radio updated and nothing. Only thing I noticed is that MyLink responses a bit faster and CarPlay opens faster. So I guess now my only option is to get a radio module. Just a bit bummed out since I spent a pretty penny updating the radio. 

Is is it possible to get a radio module already programmed to your VIN from one of the guys?

What did they charge you. 

Yes. Buy a module and send it to Chris white. 

54 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

What did they charge you. 

Yes. Buy a module and send it to Chris white. 

$135. Was hoping it was going to work. So it’s $200 to program plus whatever the radio cost. Man...going to wait a bit before I try doing all that

6 minutes ago, risk235 said:

$135. Was hoping it was going to work. So it’s $200 to program plus whatever the radio cost. Man...going to wait a bit before I try doing all that

I know dude. It sucks. Radio module is $80. $200 to program the radio and HMI. What year is your truck 

1 hour ago, risk235 said:

Thanks for the heads up.. it seems this whole project is turning into quite the money pit

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

I know dude. It sucks. Radio module is $80. $200 to program the radio and HMI. What year is your truck 

It’s a 2015.5 (had the text function) 

I was thinking it would work because the OP of the YouTube video posted in an update that he updated his radio and Siri and phone calls worked. I’m will eventually get the radio but for now I’m content with music and navigation working especially with Waze and Google Maps coming next month. 

18 minutes ago, rahool82 said:

Thanks for the heads up.. it seems this whole project is turning into quite the money pit

Unfortunately yes. Not sure why CarPlay isn’t working with Siri or phone calls since it’s allowing audio to come from the music apps 

Edited by risk235

11 minutes ago, rahool82 said:

Why I haven't bought anything yet. I want a plug n play solution

1 hour ago, th3magpi3 said:

I just noticed that you said $200 to program the radio and HMI. So do I have to get both programmed at the same time or can I just get the radio programmed and it will be cheaper? Obviously I got the HMI already programmed to my VIN

41 minutes ago, risk235 said:

I just noticed that you said $200 to program the radio and HMI. So do I have to get both programmed at the same time or can I just get the radio programmed and it will be cheaper? Obviously I got the HMI already programmed to my VIN

He replied to my email that they needed both so the software will match. I also got my hmi programmed to my VIN already so that was a bummer to hear. So my $400 budget is now up to $430ish.