Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

30 minutes ago, Druder said:

He replied to my email that they needed both so the software will match. I also got my hmi programmed to my VIN already so that was a bummer to hear. So my $400 budget is now up to $430ish.

I read that the truck won’t start without the HMI in so I’m guessing I would have to put back my 2.0 HMI while I send the 2.5 and radio to be programmed. 

5 minutes ago, risk235 said:

I read that the truck won’t start without the HMI in so I’m guessing I would have to put back my 2.0 HMI while I send the 2.5 and radio to be programmed. 

That's correct. Put your old one in. Send the new one to be programmed. 

5 minutes ago, risk235 said:

Any chance you might be able to program it down the line 

That's the plan. If I can get this all figured out I'd like to be able to provide the service at a fair price. 

• Like 4

Well, I'm still interested in this and appreciate all the work being done by everybody.  Though it seems "easy" mechanically (swapping modules and such) it appears to be a pain in the a$$ electrically.  Like others have mentioned, over $400, and I think the return on the investment begins to diminish.  Man, I'd love to get Waze on my dash though, as I always have it running on my S8+.

On 8/24/2018 at 6:26 PM, risk235 said:

It’s a 2015.5 (had the text function) 

I was thinking it would work because the OP of the YouTube video posted in an update that he updated his radio and Siri and phone calls worked. I’m will eventually get the radio but for now I’m content with music and navigation working especially with Waze and Google Maps coming next month. 

Unfortunately yes. Not sure why CarPlay isn’t working with Siri or phone calls since it’s allowing audio to come from the music apps 

I have the opposite problem on Android auto.. phone calls work fine but no music or Google assistant from phone

8 hours ago, OldBlue61 said:

Well, I'm still interested in this and appreciate all the work being done by everybody.  Though it seems "easy" mechanically (swapping modules and such) it appears to be a pain in the a$$ electrically.  Like others have mentioned, over $400, and I think the return on the investment begins to diminish.  Man, I'd love to get Waze on my dash though, as I always have it running on my S8+.

I can get waze and Google maps working using Android auto, phone calls too, just no navigation voice or music. All I have swapped are the hmi and the USB plug, about 140$. I have a 2015.5 that had the text app

If any of that helps 

12 minutes ago, rahool82 said:

I can get waze and Google maps working using Android auto, phone calls too, just no navigation voice or music. All I have swapped are the hmi and the USB plug, about 140$. I have a 2015.5 that had the text app

If any of that helps 

Me and you are in the same boat my dude. Android auto completes calls through the vehicles bluetooth which is why they work in android. Anything that requires audio over the USB connection does not work. 

1 hour ago, th3magpi3 said:

You all are weenies. 

Yeah, but those LED headlights/taillights are legit, plus everything works just fine on Android Auto, especially Waze it's awesome! I'll be a weenie, any day awesomeness.

19 hours ago, th3magpi3 said:

Me and you are in the same boat my dude. Android auto completes calls through the vehicles bluetooth which is why they work in android. Anything that requires audio over the USB connection does not work. 

I guess the radio module is missing a part(microphone) that allows audio input over the USB connection? Or that the mic is only configured to work with Bluetooth. All of the music apps work fine on CarPlay. Just speculating on my part. 

Edited by risk235