Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

I have to give a big shout out to @th3magpi3 for his service to get my (new to me) HMI 2.5 and radio module programmed for AA/ACP. I validated that everything still worked as "factory" with my HMI 2.0, then installed the HMI 2.5 (plus the USB module) to get "projection" functionality. So far I've only tested ACP, but it's working great, my factory nav and steering wheel controls are fully functional too.

Thanks again!

• Like 4

Can't find anyone else in this thread with my situation. I have a 2015 silverado with 8" screen without navigation. I just want the Android Auto and Apple CarPlay to work. Do I need to upgrade to the 2.5 hmi or just get my radio module updated by a dealership? I have the text application on my radio already if that helps, I think I saw someone say that tells you if you were a late or early build for that 2015 year. Thanks for any help!

16 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

You're also going to need a radio.

Depending on when your current radio was manufactured, you may be able to use it. Check to see if the date is late 2015. Feel free to send me a part number to verify.

Don't forget the USB port too.

Feel free to reach out if you need anything programmed or just general info. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Okay, MVI is quoting me $800 for the upgrade. That is more than I want to spend to get Android Auto. When I first read this forum it was $150-300 that people were paying for the hmi modules. 

On 10/29/2018 at 3:00 PM, truckmann said:

I got my HMI and radio modules back from @th3magpi3 last week and installed on Friday. Everything is working as expected and it ended up being much cheaper than any other option I could find. 

I got mine yesterday, install was pretty straightforward. I would not hesitate to use th3magpi3 again. He was very professional and courteous . My only advise would be to talk to him about customs and shipping beforehand( he can help you save some money). I would also skip the factory nav, and save $200.

Edited by thomascw

20 minutes ago, thomascw said:

I got mine yesterday, install was pretty straightforward. I would not hesitate to use th3magpi3 again. He was very professional and courteous . My only advise would be to talk to him about customs and shipping beforehand( he can help you save some money). I would also skip the factory nav, and save $200.

Also, if you decide to go with factory nav; make sure you know which map is installed. I bought mine off ebay for $300 from inside the USA. Turns out it has a map for Europe. Not th3magpi3 fault. For me to have maps; it looks like I'll have to pony up another$100

So far the only thing I miss when dropping the factory nav is not being able to see speed limits on the DIC anymore. It's minor just something to note. If I can find a good deal on a 2.5 HMI with factory nav I may upgrade. Oklahoma is terrible at putting speed limit signs up so it was handy to have it available in the DIC. 

Just found this thread today and read through the whole thing.  Some great info here, and most importantly, enough explanation and research to save me a lot of money.  I was planning to buy a whole new radio and HMI (MVI was the most likely seller) which was going to take time to save up for.  As it turns out, I was able to verify that my 2016 Silverado was one that suffered from insufficient stock syndrome.  That's a LOT more manageable, so I just ordered a 2.5 HMI from dokus so will hopefully have AA by next weekend. :)  I'll let you know if I run into any problems.

Thanks to @Darmichar for starting the conversation!  I'm guessing it has helped a lot of people out (me included).  And thanks to everyone who contributed, especially @th3magpi3.  

• Like 3

23 hours ago, adverbius said:

Just found this thread today and read through the whole thing.  Some great info here, and most importantly, enough explanation and research to save me a lot of money.  I was planning to buy a whole new radio and HMI (MVI was the most likely seller) which was going to take time to save up for.  As it turns out, I was able to verify that my 2016 Silverado was one that suffered from insufficient stock syndrome.  That's a LOT more manageable, so I just ordered a 2.5 HMI from dokus so will hopefully have AA by next weekend. :)  I'll let you know if I run into any problems.

Thanks to @Darmichar for starting the conversation!  I'm guessing it has helped a lot of people out (me included).  And thanks to everyone who contributed, especially @th3magpi3.  

Apparently I am in the same boat as you.  2016 with a 2.0 HMI I assume due to the parts issues.

I may go ahead and order from dokus as well.  If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay???

And for those that upgraded from non-nav to nav, where does the nav antenna get routed to?  

I dont have nav and will probably never use the factory maps (use apps on iphone) but the speed limit thing sounds kind of handy and it couldnt hurt resale value.  Trying to justify the extra costs of the Nav HMI versus non-nav.

1 minute ago, t76turbo said:

And for those that upgraded from non-nav to nav, where does the nav antenna get routed to?  

I dont have nav and will probably never use the factory maps (use apps on iphone) but the speed limit thing sounds kind of handy and it couldnt hurt resale value.  Trying to justify the extra costs of the Nav HMI versus non-nav.

I would save the money and use Waze or Google maps. I had factory nav and paid extra to keep it ( about $200 more), it’s really bad. The nav antenna is routed above the glove box. There is a YouTube video 

1 hour ago, t76turbo said:

Apparently I am in the same boat as you.  2016 with a 2.0 HMI I assume due to the parts issues.

I may go ahead and order from dokus as well.  If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay???

I wanted to find a seller who could flash the HMI with my VIN, and most can't (or won't).  I ended up paying $225 plus shipping for the deal. More than twice what some have paid since the beginning of this thread, but a LOT less than the $800 to $1200 price I was looking at with a complete radio upgrade.  I was fine with that price given his rep.  Tracking shows I should have the HMI by Thursday, so I can let you know by Friday how it goes. 

With any luck this will be working smoothly and I'll be testing out full android phone access in the 1500 by this weekend.  :cool:

3 hours ago, t76turbo said:

FWIW I REALLY wanted factory nav on my '16 Silverado, but I never used it on my '08 Avalanche simply because GM didn't update maps frequently enough to make it practical.  Since AA (or ACP, if I have to admit it) offer a better nav experience BY FAR (more options, mapping guidance, and MUCH more frequent updates) I decided I could do without. Just my $.02