Darmichar

Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

I am also watching this with interest. I actually purchased a new hmi 2.5 from the same ebay seller and that should be in tomorrow. I also purchased a radio module based on the part number given earlier. The HMI should be programmed for my VIN but not the radio module. I will wait on that unless needed later. I will have to find someone to do that.
Thanks all for the info so far.

Posted (edited)

Is the part labeled 6 in this diagram the HMI module?  If it is I think the 84278527 (5 in the diagram) is the correct part number that also needs replaced. 

I'm also not seeing anyone that is selling it stating that it may need to be updated to a new VIN. 

image.png.beef67842878e61b641b506f19032458.png

Edited by Darmichar

9 minutes ago, Darmichar said:

Is the part labeled 6 in this diagram the HMI module?  If it is I think the 84278527 (5 in the diagram) is the correct part number that also needs replaced. 

I'm also not seeing anyone that is selling it stating that it may need to be updated to a new VIN. 

image.png.beef67842878e61b641b506f19032458.png

Yes and Yes. You can tell which one is the HMI because the exploded image shows a circle which represents the little fan at the top of the face of the HMI. 

And like I said, it doesn't have to be that exact part number. And it's because most of the people selling at are just selling them from wrecks that they don't specify a VIN reprogram.

Most all replacement parts require VIN programming to work, especially radio components. GM has had a "Theftlock" feature for their radios since the 90's. TIS2WEB and similar scanner tools can be used to unlock the radio modules. 

My seller specifically said to make sure my part number matches exactly with the one I bought (84278527). 

Here's another seller stating it may have to be reprogrammed.

image.thumb.png.8a8ab836740d2b5d106340665388ccd5.png

But like I said, a subscription to tis2web with a programmer or a trip to the dealership should take care of you. 

I will have my radio hopefully tomorrow and will update everyone on my experience. Stay tuned. 

I’ve been following this. Today I pulled the trigger on a 2.5 hmi that I found on eBay for $99+15 for shipping. Ad says they are take offs with CarPlay/Android auto that customers wanted nav. I didn’t care about the built in nav, as I like the iOS map. Sent them my vin as they program it before it ships. So, for the money I don’t see a problem. Will update when I receive and install. They had several in stock to be sold, so if anyone else in interested.

1 hour ago, Draphty said:

I’ve been following this. Today I pulled the trigger on a 2.5 hmi that I found on eBay for $99+15 for shipping. Ad says they are take offs with CarPlay/Android auto that customers wanted nav. I didn’t care about the built in nav, as I like the iOS map. Sent them my vin as they program it before it ships. So, for the money I don’t see a problem. Will update when I receive and install. They had several in stock to be sold, so if anyone else in interested.

Yea man that's Dokus on eBay. He programmed a few of our HMIs. He does NAV upgrades and sells off the IO5 units. Great price on the HMI even before custom programming. Highly recommend.

What year are you putting it in?

I purchased a 2016 cc ltz71 8” screen, Bose that was built during the 2 month shortage of hmi’s that did not have CarPlay. Bought it used with 14k miles and was unaware of the shortage until after purchase.

8 hours ago, Draphty said:

Bit confusing, so you're saying if we want AA, but don't care about Nav, we just need that 2.5 hmi, and that they program it? 

Bit confusing, so you're saying if we want AA, but don't care about Nav, we just need that 2.5 hmi, and that they program it? 

That’s what I’m thinking. The eBay seller stated that the ones that he was selling included cp and aa and he would program my vin to it. Mine should arrive Friday, and of course, I’ll find out and report back when I install it, about 30 minutes after it hits my door!

4 minutes ago, Draphty said:

That’s what I’m thinking. The eBay seller stated that the ones that he was selling included cp and aa and he would program my vin to it. Mine should arrive Friday, and of course, I’ll find out and report back when I install it, about 30 minutes after it hits my door!

please do. Never once used the factory Nav. I use AA on my phone before I'd use factory nav. And at this price, seems like a no brainer to swap it 

please do. Never once used the factory Nav. I use AA on my phone before I'd use factory nav. And at this price, seems like a no brainer to swap it 

Exactly..all I car about is the CarPlay capabilities using the iOS maps.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Roscopcoletrain said:

You bet. We have different tyoes of radios in our trucks. The ones with the tiny little screens are called I03, the 8 inch without factory NAV are I05 and the 8 inch with factory NAV are IO6. That seller sells off 2.5 HMIs from customers who have a 2016+ I05 radio and want factory NAV. Any 2016+ HMI is capable of AA and ACP. I agree, it is a no brainer. Google Maps is miles ahead of GMs factory NAV and an I06 isn't needed if you have one of the smartphone projection options available. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Draphty said:

As long as your truck is a late model 2015 and up all you should have to do is replace the HMI and get a new USB port from a 2016 plus vehicle and get a firmware update to your radio module. 

Attached is my original HMI beside the new one provided by the same seller you guys are talking about. It's an easy swap. You will need TORX bits however to remove your glovebox. 

IMG_20180724_191916.jpg

Edited by th3magpi3

9 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

As long as your truck is a late model 2015 and up all you should have to do is replace the HMI and get a new USB port from a 2016 plus vehicle and get a firmware update to your radio module. 

Attached is my original HMI beside the new one provided by the same seller you guys are talking about. It's an easy swap. You will need TORX bits however to remove your glovebox. 

IMG_20180724_191916.jpg

How late? 9/25/15 for me. 

4 minutes ago, Roscopcoletrain said:

How late? 9/25/15 for me. 

If that's your manufacture date then you should be absolutely fine. However, the only way to tell would be by getting your radio firmware and doing the swap. 

Anybody doing this swap to the HMI 2.5 WITH Nav? I currently have nav and enjoy leaving it on that screen to see the map of the surrounding area while driving. Is it possible to take the relevant GPS part off the HMI 2.0 and put it on the 2.5? 

Whats the cheapest option for getting the HMI 2.5 with Nav and the updated programming for my VIN?