Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

39 minutes ago, roadblock said:

Anybody doing this swap to the HMI 2.5 WITH Nav? I currently have nav and enjoy leaving it on that screen to see the map of the surrounding area while driving. Is it possible to take the relevant GPS part off the HMI 2.0 and put it on the 2.5? 

Whats the cheapest option for getting the HMI 2.5 with Nav and the updated programming for my VIN?

Lots of people do the swap with the I06 radios (NAV) but they're substantially more expensive. Let me ask the eBay seller who's been selling us our I05 radios and get back to you. 

But to be honest, just leave your maps up in Google maps on a non NAV unit. The interface is much better than the factory nav in my opinion.

And as far as your last question, you can't "take off" the NAV from one HMI and swap it into another. They're different units all together.

Edited by th3magpi3

Just now, th3magpi3 said:

Lots of people do the swap with the I06 radios (NAV) but they're substantially more expensive. Let me ask the eBay seller who's been selling us our I05 radios and get back to you. 

But to be honest, just leave your maps up in Google maps on a non NAV unit. The interface is much better than the factory nav in my opinion.

And as far as your last question, you can't "take off" the back from one HMI and swap it into another. They're different units all together.

Thank you for doing that. I honestly just want the maps on there for the 75% of the time I don't connect my phone to the truck. Stupidly I paid for Nav when I bought the truck, kinda don't wanna lose it on an "upgrade"

For the 2014's though I'd need to get the new HMI 2.5 and a new radio module and updated USB plugs, correct?  All I want is Apple Airplay and bluetooth audio.  I've got the 8" screen with onstar nav with bluetooth.  Christmas is coming up and I need ideas for people.

Edited by Centex14
  • Like 1

Dude! Calgary, hell yea! Go flames. (Just read your bio lol)

As for your question, I just spoke with the seller. an I06 NAV HMI is going to suck for your wallet (Especially with the shit USD-CAD exchange rate).

The seller charges $699USD for a NAV HMI. vs. the like $100-$150 charge for the I05 non-nav. 

When was your truck assembled. Any idea? 

• Like 1

Just now, Centex14 said:

For the 2014's though I'd need to get the new HMI 2.5 and a new radio module and updated USB plugs, correct?  Christmas is coming up and I need ideas for people.

For full functionality, yes. I have a 2014 and unfortunately I also needed to get the radio module. 

If you only use carplay and you only care about music apps (spotify etc.) you're good with just the HMI.

Android Auto will somewhat function but will have zero audio.

But I would STRONGLY recommend getting both the radio module and the HMI. 

My radio module should be waiting for me to clear it at the customs office. I plan on making a full how to thread after I get everything successfully working. (Including part numbers etc.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Centex14 said:

For the 2014's though I'd need to get the new HMI 2.5 and a new radio module and updated USB plugs, correct?  All I want is Apple Airplay and bluetooth audio.  I've got the 8" screen with onstar nav with bluetooth.  Christmas is coming up and I need ideas for people.

I have a 2014.  I have currently only replaced the HMI module and the USB plug in the armrest.  I have full capability for maps/music.  I can not hear Siri, Siri can hear me when I request directions, etc.  I can not hear text messages being read to me.  I can not hear people when they call me.  If you're ok with that, you can get by pretty cheap.

Just now, Darmichar said:

I have a 2014.  I have currently only replaced the HMI module and the USB plug in the armrest.  I have full capability for maps/music.  I can not hear Siri, Siri can hear me when I request directions, etc.  I can not hear text messages being read to me.  I can not hear people when they call me.  If you're ok with that, you can get by pretty cheap.

And if the radio module works out without programming, you can also get by pretty cheap. Sub $200 if you're lucky. 

Personally, I want all the features, but if you're only iphone and can live with only half of the what some would say "non-essential" features, the HMI alone will be just fine 

Just now, th3magpi3 said:

And if the radio module works out without programming, you can also get by pretty cheap. Sub $200 if you're lucky. 

Personally, I want all the features, but if you're only iphone and can live with only half of the what some would say "non-essential" features, the HMI alone will be just fine 

Don't get me wrong, I'm eagerly awaiting your update to see if the radio module fixes it.  Not being able to hear people when they call me and not being able to hear/use texts was the deal breaker.  I can live without hearing Siri ramble on.

1 minute ago, Roscopcoletrain said:

says May not ship to Canada. Since you're in Canada, I assume he does eh? lol

I used a service called reship.com for that one. It ended up costing me an additional $27 CAD to ship it up here. So about $50 CAD total (Still cheaper than the dealer).

I now use a service that charges $18 flat and boats or flys packages in from Washington the next day (I'm on an island) which I clear at customs myself.

Send the seller a message and see if they'll ship to you. Their deal is the best on ebay. Even with paying the extra shipping service fee, it's about $20 cheaper than the others listed that ship to the great white north (those units start at $50 plus an adtl $28ish for shipping and import). 

I just called my dealer and they said this part is imported from the USA and the cost in hand in 7-10 days is $133.11 taxes in :puke: (ouch). So yea, get a reship or ask someone here to just mail the box back to you in Canada.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Roscopcoletrain said:

says May not ship to Canada. Since you're in Canada, I assume he does eh? lol

If you'd like you are also free to use my reship acct. It'll save you to $10 or so fee for signing up. Cost to ship was $23 total after fees, didn't have to pay any tax or duty (declared it as $5 value computer parts lol).

image.thumb.png.b2f5e58f78e653e024df9d8d5e8ed39d.png

Send me a PM if you're interested and I'll give you the detes. 

• Like 1

So the radio module would have to be done after install and can't be flashed to your VIN? And then my XM subscription will still be linked to my truck? So I'm at $224 plus whatever the dealer charges me.