Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

Do you have the radio module with it too? You should sell as a whole kit. RADIO, HMI, and CLUSTER from the other thread. That might be a nice upgrade for someone with a new WT model.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

Just wanted to come back here and give a big shout out and thanks for @th3magpi3 for doing such an awesome job getting my HMI and radio module programmed. The day they arrived he had them programmed and out the door, had it not been for the holiday weekend i would've had them 2-3 days after.

He ensured they were programmed properly and once i got them had to get a new USB port and helped troubleshoot i had the wrong one. He made sure once my new one arrived my CarPlay worked perfectly! One of the best people I've dealt with and knows his stuff really well.

I wouldn't hesitate at all to use him for module programming or questions. Great prices, Great Guy!

Edited by MBtrucker
Spelling, Addition of info
  • Like 1

Sorry for my ignorance. But im lost i have 2015 silverado i want android auto and projection . Seems i just need a 2.5 hmi module and thats it correct? could some post the link which from where you purchase and was configured to ur vin without paying 700

Just now, palomino88 said:

Sorry for my ignorance. But im lost i have 2015 silverado i want android auto and projection . Seems i just need a 2.5 hmi module and thats it correct? could some post the link which from where you purchase and was configured to ur vin without paying 700

At a minimum for proper operation you need the Radio, HMI and USB hub. If you want it ALL to work as a factory 2016+ you need to upgrade the instrument cluster as well. 

If you drop us a line from our website we can send you a curated parts list for the best possible results including the cluster etc.

www.whiteautoandmedia.com

Off topic....

Chris. Just wanted to let you know, with Cue turned off, the truck has been working perfect.  Also, for android auto, all you have to do is say "ok google", and android auto works perfect with voice control. There is no need to push any buttons on the screen or the steering wheel.

So for anyone who who does the 2.5 upgrade with ALL the extras from WAMS, AND has an aftermarket stereo using the NavTV module, TURN CUE OFF!!!  Or you will have issues with not having audio output to your speakers.

Edited by RACERX7775

On 3/30/2019 at 12:14 AM, Workedsierra said:

@the3magpi3 New to the forum but I’ve read almost every page of this thread. I have a 15 Sierra with the text app icon... I want to add CarPlay. Are you selling the hmi and radio modules or simply selling the programming? 

Thanks in advance 

@the3magpi3 yes same issue just Silverado 

Got my radio module & HMI back from th3magpi3 yesterday...all installed and working great in my 2014 Silverado!!  Thank you Chad!!

Radio Module #84222864= $100 shipped (Ebay)....from a wrecked 2017 GMC Sierra.  There are 3 variations of these....from Work Truck's, From Non-Bose(UQ3), From Bose(UQA) vehicles.  Make sure you get the correct one & it has a 2016+ date on it for CarPlay/AA.

2.5 HMI w/Nav #84331503= $200 shipped (Ebay)....per Google, from a 2019 Buick or Chevy Impala?? seller could not confirm exactly.  Make sure it's from a US vehicle if it has factory Nav, a few Ebay auctions out there with Europe maps.

New USB port in arm console = $30 shipped (Ebay)....2 USB ports and headphone jack.  One's with the card slot are not correct/need to be replaced.

New Nav Antenna = $30 shipped (Ebay)

Radio Module & HMI shipping to th3magpi3 = $26....For VIN Programming...Honestly was a little reluctant sending to Canada....no worries though, takes about a week to get there & another week for return shipping from him.

VIN Programming & Return Shipping = $125

TOTAL = $511 (I now have Factory Nav & Apple Carplay)

Edited by Gorby2149
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, DCazares said:

Just to confirm, in order to get AA on my 2014 Sierra SLT with a Denali Cluster from WAMS, I would need to replace the cluster too correct?

No, only if you wanted the full factory integration with all of the steering wheel controls to work as intended inside AA/CP. However if you think you want to upgrade the cluster later to get those features (which I highly recommend as the entire system was designed around voice controls and pressing the button on the screen to use siri over and over sucks in CP for example LOL) we need to handle the conversion as everything is matched. 

Edited by GTPprix

39 minutes ago, DCazares said:

Just to confirm, in order to get AA on my 2014 Sierra SLT with a Denali Cluster from WAMS, I would need to replace the cluster too correct?

No. I replaced my silverado cluster with a denali cluster first. Then Later I did the AA 2.5 upgrade. I also got all the unlock features too. The cluster has nothing to do with the upgrade.   You need the hmi, radio, and usb port in the center console. All I have to do is say "OK GOOGLE" and it works perfectly without pushing the mic icon on the screen. Dont have to touch the screen at all.  AA does not work with the hands free button for the cluster. Our trucks, 14-15, dont have that ability. But it does show texts on the DIC. Or you push the listen button on the steering wheel and it will speak the text. You can also hit the text icon on the radio screen to show texts.

I think all this info is correct... lol.

Edit: it doesnt show actual texts on the DIC. it shows the option to listen or dismiss. Then, you can push the check button on the steering wheel.

Edited by RACERX7775
  • Thanks 1

Without a cluster upgrade you miss these features:

Track skipping / volume control via steering wheel paddles in Android Auto (it works in Carplay)

Long pressing the mic button to activate Siri/Google Assistant (like Chris said, it's designed around voice control so just say "Hey Google" or "Hey Siri" and it will activate your assistant.)

Now playing track in DIC with Android. (when you set your cluster view to media it shows information related to the current track playing. Apple iPhones will still show the now playing, Android devices will just show blank on the cluster)

All in all, if you're trying to do this on a budget I would say avoid the cluster upgrade. It's not worth a few extra hundred dollars to get these small features.

As always, if anyone is curious about performing this upgrade to their own vehicle feel free to contact me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

Without a cluster upgrade you miss these features:

Track skipping / volume control via steering wheel paddles in Android Auto (it works in Carplay)

Long pressing the mic button to activate Siri/Google Assistant (like Chris said, it's designed around voice control so just say "Hey Google" or "Hey Siri" and it will activate your assistant.)

Now playing track in DIC with Android. (when you set your cluster view to media it shows information related to the current track playing. Apple iPhones will still show the now playing, Android devices will just show blank on the cluster)

In mine....AA. Dont have CP

Track skipping- Doesnt work

Volume control via paddles- Does work

Long press voice button on wheel- Doesnt work.

Now playing track on DIC- Shows Audio off. 

All of this stuff for me, i dont miss at all. I never change the DIC except from MPH to Trip A.

But with all the stuff I have in my truck, Its amazing how everything works together.  

AGAIN, A SPECIAL THANKS TO WAMS AND MAG. THANK YOU GUYS FOR THE HELP!!!