Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

I'm anxiously awaiting my upgrade package ordered from @th3magpi3.  I didn't see anything in this thread about the USB output power on the upgraded hardware.  Is it only 1A or will you get 2A for charging? Plugging into my current system, I get a "slow charging" warning. Running navigation tends to drain the phone battery faster than a 1A charger can put it back so I plug into a lighter plug. Will this be a problem and, if so, has anyone figured out a resolution? 

On 8/1/2018 at 2:18 PM, lovelessjl said:

I did this, since my 2016 was one of the trucks that had the $200 rebate for having the old 2.0 hmi and no apple carplay or android auto.

Where can I get info on this? I have a '16 but don't have carplay or auto. I never received anything from the dealer either about this. 

edit* For those wondering... ACP/AA Technical Service Bulletin.  https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10078548-7690.pdf

It's funny, I called the dealership where I bought the truck and they had no clue what I was talking about. Called another near my work and apparently they do the updates all the time. $150. 

My manufacture date is 02/16 so I am dead in the middle of the HMI shortage. 

Edited by Goinovr

I used MVI Inc for my upgrade, just Google them and their website is easy to find. They weren't cheap though. If I were going to do it again, I think I'd contact th3magpi3 and see what he has going on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ok so I have been doing so checking on the forums and just trying to find out for sure what I need to purchase.

My truck- 2015 2500hd build date is 12/14. Radio is a IO4 and 4.2” my link with back up camera. 

I’m wanting to go to an 8” screen and want to have Car Play to use the Waze App. 

So this is what I think I need, buying off eBay and then prolly send to magpie. Can someone verify this and tell me if I need anything else or what to do? And do I need to have the vin programmed to mine?

84222864 radio receiver from late 2017.

84364934 2.5 HMI 

8” touch screen my link.

Edited by TheElectrician

11 hours ago, lovelessjl said:

I used MVI Inc for my upgrade, just Google them and their website is easy to find. They weren't cheap though. If I were going to do it again, I think I'd contact th3magpi3 and see what he has going on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

x 2.

I have done the upgrade twice now on our trucks and have upgraded to iO6 on both (2014 silverado and 2015 sierra) and both are working great.  One tip, when trying to unplug to install the HMI splitter, video talks about using a 90 deg pick.  It worked easily with the silverado, but I struggled with the sierra.  I used a pair of needle nose pliers and was easily able to remove it.

I have not upgraded the clusters yet, so when using carplay, the answer and end buttons on the steeringwheels do not work (like our daily drivers which have them from the factory installed).  These trucks will go to the kids when they start driving, so I probably wont spend the money for those upgrades, but can help install if they want the digital dash and they can pay for it. overall, very happy with the upgrades and MVI had fast shipment, less than 1 week after ordering both times, I had it at my doorstep.

On 5/23/2019 at 6:33 AM, Gorby2149 said:

Got my radio module & HMI back from th3magpi3 yesterday...all installed and working great in my 2014 Silverado!!  Thank you Chad!!

Radio Module #84222864= $100 shipped (Ebay)....from a wrecked 2017 GMC Sierra.  There are 3 variations of these....from Work Truck's, From Non-Bose(UQ3), From Bose(UQA) vehicles.  Make sure you get the correct one & it has a 2016+ date on it for CarPlay/AA.

2.5 HMI w/Nav #84331503= $200 shipped (Ebay)....per Google, from a 2019 Buick or Chevy Impala?? seller could not confirm exactly.  Make sure it's from a US vehicle if it has factory Nav, a few Ebay auctions out there with Europe maps.

New USB port in arm console = $30 shipped (Ebay)....2 USB ports and headphone jack.  One's with the card slot are not correct/need to be replaced.

New Nav Antenna = $30 shipped (Ebay)

Radio Module & HMI shipping to th3magpi3 = $26....For VIN Programming...Honestly was a little reluctant sending to Canada....no worries though, takes about a week to get there & another week for return shipping from him.

VIN Programming & Return Shipping = $125

TOTAL = $511 (I now have Factory Nav & Apple Carplay)

26$ isn’t bad for shipping to Canada 

• Like 1

I'm anxiously awaiting my upgrade package ordered from [mention=192095]th3magpi3[/mention].  I didn't see anything in this thread about the USB output power on the upgraded hardware.  Is it only 1A or will you get 2A for charging? Plugging into my current system, I get a "slow charging" warning. Running navigation tends to drain the phone battery faster than a 1A charger can put it back so I plug into a lighter plug. Will this be a problem and, if so, has anyone figured out a resolution? 

Little bit off topic but I figured I'd answer. I just bought a USB current monitor to solve this question. The new USB module that is carplay compatible charges between 1.5A and 2A.
06067108761df0731b0b6bb3a176de71.jpg

While the standard USB plugs charge closer to 1Af45bf1f40da291f8f3d7b08edf95177f.jpg

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Mag, is that installed in a truck or is that just a piece that plus into one of the usb's?

It's a removable tool the size of a USB flash drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the newer system, can we get a way to turn on the backup camera? 

Yup.  You need a harness.  The camera need constant power and you need your HMI unlocked. www.whiteautoandmedia.com provides this service. If you’re 17+, you also lost the ability the play videos from a flash drive. They all in on “unlock” service provides all that.

Video in Motion Bypass

Reverse Camera Access

Restore Video Playback via USB

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MNorby said:

How do you turn on the reverse camera then? Just install a switch that sends power to the camera and it will take over the screen even if not in reverse?

I offer this service as well. See my demo here and feel free to reach out via PM if you're interested :) 

• Like 2