Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

3 minutes ago, rahool82 said:

Profit? That never happens, but that would be awesome! Thanks!

Well here's one selling for $700

And here's the lowest price one I could find at $375

Even sold at $300 you're still profiting almost $150, as you'd only need the HMI and the USB.

Also, side note, if someone wanted to do the carplay/android auto mod and retain an I06, here's a 2.5 HMI selling for $350 (great price for factory nav and AA/ACP capability)

2 minutes ago, rahool82 said:

Well then I guess the beers are on me if I can sell it! Will I need to go to the dealer to get it updated or is that already done on the hmi module? I think I have the "2015.5" version as I have a text app on my display now

I believe the logic there is install it first and do the update at the dealer only if you have to.

So is it safe to say the following is true:

2014-need to upgrade radio module 

2015-need to upgrade radio firmware 

2016-nothing additional needed

I included 2016 since there was a shortage of the 2.5 HMI for a bit for that years model

Edited by risk235
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, risk235 said:

So is it safe to say the following is true:

2014-need to upgrade radio module 

2015-need to upgrade radio firmware 

2016-nothing additional needed

I included 2016 since there was a shortage of the 2.5 HMI for a bit for that years model

I believe all is true except, 2015 might need radio module, 2015.5 may need firmware

• Like 1

OK, update time. 

First of all, don't get your hopes up for self programming.

I don't know if it's that the VCX Nano is a piece of shit or that I legitimately cannot program a newer module in an older truck but that seems to be what's happening here. 

Module stays blank, cluster display states "audio off", no chimes or any audio are heard. 

When I attempt to program, the programming fails. SPS cannot even see the SW version currently installed in the radio module.

Looking further into this, it appears I may need a harness that has an ECU and a BCM from a newer vehicle in order to complete the process.

If I had a 2016+ vehicle to use as a test I would, but unfortunately I don't have access to one. 

5 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

OK, update time. 

First of all, don't get your hopes up for self programming.

Well I guess the other big take away is that it absolutely must be programmed. At this point how sure are we that the dealer can do this on an older truck?

Just now, Druder said:

Well I guess the other big take away is that it absolutely must be programmed. At this point how sure are we that the dealer can do this on an older truck?

Oh yea she needs to be programmed. 

As of right now, I don't know if this is something even the dealership can do. It is against GM policy to swap a used part into a vehicle and it might not even be possible for them to swap.

As of right now, it looks like sending it to our boy Dokus might be the only option. 

16 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

Oh yea she needs to be programmed. 

As of right now, I don't know if this is something even the dealership can do. It is against GM policy to swap a used part into a vehicle and it might not even be possible for them to swap.

As of right now, it looks like sending it to our boy Dokus might be the only option. 

I just sent a message to Dokus to see if a VIN programmed receiver module would work and how much.  If he replies in the affirmative I'll take the hit and order one.

1 minute ago, Darmichar said:

Also, @th3magpi3, what was involved in replacing the receiver module?  Is it behind the glovebox too or behind the dash panel surrounding the display panel?

Pry tool, 4 7mm bolts, various clips. Behind panel. 

It's the top module

IMG_20180816_210907.jpg

9 minutes ago, th3magpi3 said:

Pry tool, 4 7mm bolts, various clips. Behind panel. 

It's the top module

IMG_20180816_210907.jpg

Gotcha.  What's the module below it?  Don't remember seeing another one on any of the diagrams?