In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Replacing 2.0 HMI module with 2.5 HMI module to add CarPlay/Android Auto to 2014-2015 Silverado

Anyone with a 14-15 who did this upgrade using Android Auto and a Samsung phone have any issues with voice activation to ok google via the phone picking up my voice? My phone did an update and now it doesnt work. But does work with bluetooth and if I push the mic button on the bottom right of the screen. I was thinking of getting the 16 Red denali cluster so that feature would work on my steering wheel.  Then I'd have to sell my 15 Red Denali cluster.

It is such an inconvenience to have to reach ALL THE WAY OVER to push it. Lol. 

Edited by RACERX7775

I have a Note 8, but I would suspect it's not necessarily as much the phone as it is the Google voice inconsistencies. I did the entire upgrade including the cluster so I could use the steering wheel controls and it worked great. Had to take the cluster out to have something reworked on it. And for the time I didn't have the cluster the Google Voice just didn't work as well as I would have hoped. So from my own experience, I would recommend anyone who does the upgrade, do the cluster upgrade or get the existing cluster programmed so you can use the steering wheel controls. So much easier

Edited by djewell
  • Like 1

I’m sure this has been covered somewhere in the 74 pages of this thread.... but it takes a lot to go through them.....so my apologies....

im starting to gather parts to upgrade my 14 to be CarPlay capable. I’m going to buy a module and a 2.5 HMI and have it programmed. I can’t seem to find a good list of module part numbers that will work.  WAMS only has 4 part numbers listed on their website and literally none of the modules on eBay match up to any of those numbers. Can anyone shed light on this? I know it needs to be a U2M or U2K but there’s a wide range of part numbers with those RPO codes. 

im planning on using costal to program once I get parts in 

• Like 1

I’m sure this has been covered somewhere in the 74 pages of this thread.... but it takes a lot to go through them.....so my apologies....

im starting to gather parts to upgrade my 14 to be CarPlay capable. I’m going to buy a module and a 2.5 HMI and have it programmed. I can’t seem to find a good list of module part numbers that will work.  WAMS only has 4 part numbers listed on their website and literally none of the modules on eBay match up to any of those numbers. Can anyone shed light on this? I know it needs to be a U2M or U2K but there’s a wide range of part numbers with those RPO codes. 

im planning on using costal to program once I get parts in 

The WAMS list is a best practices list so that they maintain full warranty compliance. They can work with you on fitment of other modules. Send them an inquiry on their website. They’ll take care of ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, RACERX7775 said:

Anyone with a 14-15 who did this upgrade using Android Auto and a Samsung phone have any issues with voice activation to ok google via the phone picking up my voice? My phone did an update and now it doesnt work. But does work with bluetooth and if I push the mic button on the bottom right of the screen. I was thinking of getting the 16 Red denali cluster so that feature would work on my steering wheel.  Then I'd have to sell my 15 Red Denali cluster.

It is such an inconvenience to have to reach ALL THE WAY OVER to push it. Lol. 

Did you have the cluster reprogrammed?

9 hours ago, cbrsilv15 said:

Did you have the cluster reprogrammed?

I started with my 14 silverado dash cluster and upgraded to 2.5 Android Auto and a 14-15 Denali cluster.  At that time, we pretty much had to get the matching year to make it work. Which meant the steering wheel controls for Android Auto would NOT work. Which wasnt a big deal. So, when I hooked everything up, I was stoked when all I had to do was say OK GOOGLE so my phone could hear it, and it worked perfectly. But since my phone updated, it doesnt respond if I have my cable hooked up. My phone also used to have android auto on it. That is now gone also.  I shot a message to WAMS, and the only way to do it from now, is to sell my cluster and find a 16 Denali "RED", not blue, cluster and have it programmed for my truck.

2 minutes ago, Jocobe Betancourt said:

I have a 2014 Z71 silverado that i'm waiitng on the 2.5 upgrade to arrive from dokus, my question is about the cluster, will it only work with a denali cluster? or can I get a 2017-2018 z71 cluster and have it programmed? 

Your 2014 cluster will work, but will need to be re-programmed for the volume and skip buttons to work with Android Auto. The buttons will function as normal with the radio and bluetooth music streaming. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, truckmann said:

Your 2014 cluster will work, but will need to be re-programmed for the volume and skip buttons to work with Android Auto. The buttons will function as normal with the radio and bluetooth music streaming. 

will the cluster work with apple car play? because I just have an iphone that I want the cluster to work for. 

will the cluster work with apple car play? because I just have an iphone that I want the cluster to work for. 

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto functionality relies on the newer 2.5 HMI hardware and Radio Module for it to function. In addition, it used to be, that you needed to upgrade the cluster too to allow the “press and hold” button on the wheel to interact with your phone. That is no longer the case.

I did a video showing that here -

So to get CP/AA to be fully integrated, you need the cluster to be programmed and the HMI hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, pgamboa said:

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto functionality relies on the newer 2.5 HMI hardware and Radio Module for it to function. In addition, it used to be, that you needed to upgrade the cluster too to allow the “press and hold” button on the wheel to interact with your phone. That is no longer the case.

I did a video showing that here -

is that the only thing that will not work if I do not upgrade the cluster? 

39 minutes ago, pgamboa said: