My 01 has spent most of its life in Kansas which is bad in winter with salt. It’s lifted so you can see the light frame surface fade and rust spots. I plan on lightly sanding it down but has anyone on here repainted their frame at home without taking it to a paint shop. 

Fluid film, in a can, spray it all over, and inside the rocker drains.. Mine is in NE and mostly has avoided rust this way.

Yea I did the same with my 2012' Tahoe,  I used a wire brush and then I used a couple cans of Rust-Oleum spray paint, turned out really nice.

I have used SEM Rust Mort and POR15 before. I used it on my 1985 F-150 when I had the bed off the frame. Granted, I live in Georgia and I believe we have not started to use salt until recently. However this stuff really works, Do some research.image.thumb.png.c0746390f27c857b2c48668a765d7036.png

Spray the frame, brake lines, and fuel lines with this stuff every year on your birthday. 

You can paint over it. 

krud-kutter-paint-thinner-solvents-cleaners-mr326-64_1000.jpg

chevrolet-brake-lines.jpg

maxresdefault (1).jpg

14 hours ago, starman8tdc said:

Spray the frame, brake lines, and fuel lines with this stuff every year on your birthday. 

You can paint over it. 

what exactly is holding that truck together? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, starman8tdc said:

You can paint over it. 

krud-kutter-paint-thinner-solvents-cleaners-mr326-64_1000.jpg

chevrolet-brake-lines.jpg

maxresdefault (1).jpg

What frame is that on ? I wouldn't be driving that one down the street.

I have a 05 Sierra 2500HD. I bought it used and I wire wheeled pretty much the entire frame and then some to get all the surface rust off. Hit it with some degreaser and then powerwashed underneath. I then brushed on a thick coat of rust oleum commercial black.

Twice a year, spring and fall, I just have to do a touch up here and there with a couple of cans of spray paint. (I'm OCD about making sure all the paint blends, there for I usually give the whole frame a quick coat)

On the heavily pitted areas on the chassis, I used Chassis Saver. Simple stuff to use. You just need to get the light rust off and that's it. The stuff has been on 3 years and looks like I put it on yesterday. If you use it, DO NOT let it touch your skin or anything else. It will be on your skin for weeks and it will never come off anything else for a very long time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, finh2o24 said:

I have a 05 Sierra 2500HD. I bought it used and I wire wheeled pretty much the entire frame and then some to get all the surface rust off. Hit it with some degreaser and then powerwashed underneath. I then brushed on a thick coat of rust oleum commercial black.

Twice a year, spring and fall, I just have to do a touch up here and there with a couple of cans of spray paint. (I'm OCD about making sure all the paint blends, there for I usually give the whole frame a quick coat)

On the heavily pitted areas on the chassis, I used Chassis Saver. Simple stuff to use. You just need to get the light rust off and that's it. The stuff has been on 3 years and looks like I put it on yesterday. If you use it, DO NOT let it touch your skin or anything else. It will be on your skin for weeks and it will never come off anything else for a very long time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That is basically the same thing that I did with mine. It has held up well.