Gorehamj

General Motors Tries Two Ways To Dodge Tariff On Chinese-Built Buick Envision Import

35 minutes ago, garagerog said:

Has nothing to do with politics, just concern over quality of Chinese made products, we ended up with a 2017 Nox.

And slave labor.  In a Communist state, people exist to serve the state, all are slaves to the state.

• Sad 1

In the late fall of 2016 wife and I were looking over GM CUV's, at our local GMC/Buick dealer we looked over an Envision that was way better equipped and much less expensive than the Terrains on the lot. I almost bit until I saw the made in China on the window sticker, I apparently wasn't the first one to pass because apparently they couldn't sell it for anywhere near asking price. Has nothing to do with politics, just concern over quality of Chinese made products, we ended up with a 2017 Nox.
There is a big difference between buying in bulk and rebadging a product and being the entire company from the first step to the last step.

An example of what I mean can be seen in the scooter market. There are multitudes of scooter companies that all seem to have the same basic scooter, and each company makes unique "add ons" to make them identifiable. I own a 2009 Piaggio Fly 150. This model was built in Italy initially, and by 2009 it was moved to China. I have had zero issues with it. I looked at a few of the Chinese built and rebadged scooters at the motorcycle show here back in 2009, and they were crap. They had a lot of flex in areas I didn't feel should have noticeable flex. The Piaggio felt like a scooter should. Many years later and still feels as stable as the day I got it. It cost a whole $125 more that the no-name Chinese scooter.

Currently GM is building in Mexico, US, and Canada. The vast majority of buyers have no idea which country their car/truck was built in. I doubt they can tell even if it was built in China either.

Sent from my KII-L05 using Tapatalk

First digit of the VIN is a dead giveaway. 1, 4, 5 is USA. 2, Canada, 3, Mexico. Not sure what the chinese one is, but it isn't any of these.

You'd think an originally American company would want to be proud of it's heritage, and produce ALL domestically- sold vehicles here, ESPECIALLY after being handed BILLIONS of taxpayer dollars to bail them out of their poor business practices. Plants in Mexico and China are what we get in return?

#@!& you, GM. Hope you fail for GOOD next time.

3 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

First digit of the VIN is a dead giveaway. 1, 4, 5 is USA. 2, Canada, 3, Mexico. Not sure what the chinese one is, but it isn't any of these.

You'd think an originally American company would want to be proud of it's heritage, and produce ALL domestically- sold vehicles here, ESPECIALLY after being handed BILLIONS of taxpayer dollars to bail them out of their poor business practices. Plants in Mexico and China are what we get in return?

a quick trip to the Local Dealership's website, and the VIN Code for China is "L"; The "L" probably stands for Lethal; as most Chinese built cars are. (cars like my Aveo, and the Spark built at the Bupyeong plant in Incheon, South Korea start with the Letter "K")

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

Our American automakers had high health care costs and trouble competing with foreign brands.
The banking collapse meant customers could not finance vehicles and GM went into managed bankruptcy

JsDirt would rather have our company be completely destroyed.
I reckon you won't be able to deal with this so you will flee to some forum where they are still ranting about Benghazi. 

Posted (edited)

I won't be "fleeing" anywhere, Thomas ...:lol:

That is PART of why they collapsed - not the sole reasons!  That's how a free market system works. If you run a business correctly, there would be no reason to collapse, regardless of the economy. You get by with what you've got! Unions these days don't help much - funneling money that should go to the workers right to the democrat party ...

Any sane person would've let the company collapse! Where are the bailouts for all the small businesses that democrats regulated out of existence?

I'm waiting ...

Edited by Jsdirt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There were many issues that were all interconnected at one common point - the finance.  The housing market crashed, which took out the building industry, which nearly halted the sales of trucks.  Then it all just trickled down, taking the automakers. The automakers flooded the market in the two years before the crash with no interest and big rebates.  Once everyone has a vehicle a year or two old, they don't need a new one. 

The unions are 100% responsible for the ridiculous wage packages assembly line workers get.  It's pretty bad when the assembly line worker is paid 50% more per hour than the technician gets to repair it. 

• Sad 1

On 8/6/2018 at 5:01 PM, Colossus said:

I don't think Buick will be around much longer as it is- at least in the states. 

Hopefully we will kick Trump out of the office before that would happen.... :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Zane

Zane Merva
      Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com
      6/5/2018

Only a few short years into this brand new model, Buick is giving some thoughtful upgrades to the 2019 Envision. A new nine-speed transmission and more powerful turbo 2.0L engine top off the long list of improvements. Buick is hoping these small changes will keep the model in buyer's consideration. 

Check out our other "What's New For 2019" Articles

Here's what's new for the 2019 Buick Envision.

2018 Options That Have Been Retired
           Ebony seats with Dark Plum interior accents      Midnight Amethyst Metallic exterior color      Headlamps, halogen composite with automatic exterior lamp control      Headlamps, articulating      LPO, 19" (48.3 cm) Ultra-bright machine-faced wheels with Midnight Silver painted pockets      Wheels, 19" (48.3 cm) 10-spoke aluminum with premium Manoogian Silver finish      Exhaust, single-outlet stainless-steel      Transmission, 6-speed automatic (1SN & 1SP)  
      New Features, Colors & Options for 2019
           Dark Galvanized leather-appointed seats with Ebony interior accents      Satin Steel Gray Metallic exterior color      Air cleaner, ionizing      Tire Fill Alert      Wireless Charging      Headlamps, projector beam, high intensity discharge (HID) (1SV, 1SD and 1SL)      Headlamps, Bi-LED technology (Premium and Premium II)      Taillamps, LED with low-profile design      Wheels, 18" (45.7 cm) 10-spoke painted aluminum (NEW DESIGN)      Wheels, 18" (45.7 cm) 10-spoke polished aluminum (NEW DESIGN)      Exhaust, turned down, hidden      Transmission, 9-speed automatic (1SN/1SP)  
      Small Changes In Trim & Packaging for 2019
           Lighting, interior ambient, located on instrument panel and front door trim changes from Ice Blue to White      LPO, 19" Ultra-bright machine-faced wheels with Midnight Silver painted pockets replaced by 19" aluminum wheels, LPO      Wheels, 19" 10-spoke aluminum with premium Manoogian Silver finish replaced by 19" aluminum wheels
    • By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
      3-8-2018
      Earlier this week GM-Trucks.com reported that the bean counters at Goldman Sachs had estimated import tariffs on steel and aluminum could cost GM $1billion in profits. Maybe they were wrong? In an interview this week, GM's CEO Marry Barra was asked specifically about the top-selling General Motors vehicle, the Silverado. The host asked, "Have you done any studies? Would it jump the price of a GM Silverado by $100? Is there a way to gauge?" Ms. Barra's answer was interesting. She said, "It's a small impact. We would look to find offsets and efficiencies in other places to not have to pass that on to the customer." Although that was good news for Silverado buyers, what Barra said earlier in the interview was a bit of a surprise, given the media's coverage of the tariff issue. When asked if she thought there would be tariffs on imported steel and what it would mean for the price of a General Motors car, Barra said, "We source about 90% of our steel and the majority of our aluminum from the United States. So when I look at the specific impact from that perspective I think it something we can more than offset. " 

Barra did go on to say that if there is a change that drives the cost up it will have a direct effect on demand.  For part one of our coverage regarding why GM and other automakers are staying silent on tariffs, please check out our prior story.

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      3-6-2018

General Motors could lose up to $1 Billion in profits per year if the 25% tariff on steel and 10% tariff on Aluminum proposed by President Trump actually go into effect. This, according to a report in Market Watch who cites Goldman Sachs as having done the math. Don’t expect GM’s Mary Barra to pull an Elon Musk style hissy fit though. Here’s why. 

One very specific tariff has benefited General Motors and its peers in the U.S. automotive industry for over 55 years. The “Chicken Tax” as it is most commonly known, is a U.S. 25% import tariff on light trucks covering nations not included in the North American Free Trade Agreement. The dispute began under President Kennedy, during a trade argument primarily over American chicken with European countries. As a counter to the tax imposed on American food exports, President Johnson instituted the retaliatory tariff which has very effectively blocked the importation of any pickup truck made outside of North America in any significant (or insignificant) number in the modern age.

The 25% import tariff on light trucks first initiated during Kennedy’s administration and instituted during Johnson's protecting American automakers’ truck business was kept in place by Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama, and Trump. Automakers have been pretty careful not to complain about the tariff, since it accounts for a huge volume of jobs in America, Mexico, and Canada. And even more importantly perhaps, huge profits.
    • By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      9-27-2016
      The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) has released the results of its safety testing of the Buick Envision.

The results prove that the Chinese-built Buick is just as tough as any American-built crossover its size. The new Envision scored Good on every crash test. When equipped with its optional forward crash prevention system, it earns the Top Safety Pick Plus designation.

The Envision was the first Chinese-built vehicle tested by the Institute.

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      9-16-2016
      The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has tested the Buick Envision, but not yet released its results. We spotted this image in an IIHS tweet today on the subject of photography. The new Envision is a 5-passenger, compact crossover that Buick (GM) builds in China. It will compete with vehicles like the Mazda CX-5 and Lexus NX-200t.

Although Volvo presently manufactures a vehicle in China for sale in the U.S. market, the Buick Envision could be the first relatively high volume vehicle sold in America that is made in China. Do you think where it is built will have any difference in its safety? Sound off below in the comments, but you better hurry. IIHS has already loaded the blank Envision template on its site, and as the image shows, testing is well underway or complete.