General Motors Tries Two Ways To Dodge Tariff On Chinese-Built Buick Envision Import

Gorehamj

35 minutes ago, garagerog said:

Has nothing to do with politics, just concern over quality of Chinese made products, we ended up with a 2017 Nox.

And slave labor.  In a Communist state, people exist to serve the state, all are slaves to the state.

• Sad 1

In the late fall of 2016 wife and I were looking over GM CUV's, at our local GMC/Buick dealer we looked over an Envision that was way better equipped and much less expensive than the Terrains on the lot. I almost bit until I saw the made in China on the window sticker, I apparently wasn't the first one to pass because apparently they couldn't sell it for anywhere near asking price. Has nothing to do with politics, just concern over quality of Chinese made products, we ended up with a 2017 Nox.
There is a big difference between buying in bulk and rebadging a product and being the entire company from the first step to the last step.

An example of what I mean can be seen in the scooter market. There are multitudes of scooter companies that all seem to have the same basic scooter, and each company makes unique "add ons" to make them identifiable. I own a 2009 Piaggio Fly 150. This model was built in Italy initially, and by 2009 it was moved to China. I have had zero issues with it. I looked at a few of the Chinese built and rebadged scooters at the motorcycle show here back in 2009, and they were crap. They had a lot of flex in areas I didn't feel should have noticeable flex. The Piaggio felt like a scooter should. Many years later and still feels as stable as the day I got it. It cost a whole $125 more that the no-name Chinese scooter.

Currently GM is building in Mexico, US, and Canada. The vast majority of buyers have no idea which country their car/truck was built in. I doubt they can tell even if it was built in China either.

Sent from my KII-L05 using Tapatalk

First digit of the VIN is a dead giveaway. 1, 4, 5 is USA. 2, Canada, 3, Mexico. Not sure what the chinese one is, but it isn't any of these.

You'd think an originally American company would want to be proud of it's heritage, and produce ALL domestically- sold vehicles here, ESPECIALLY after being handed BILLIONS of taxpayer dollars to bail them out of their poor business practices. Plants in Mexico and China are what we get in return?

#@!& you, GM. Hope you fail for GOOD next time.

3 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

First digit of the VIN is a dead giveaway. 1, 4, 5 is USA. 2, Canada, 3, Mexico. Not sure what the chinese one is, but it isn't any of these.

You'd think an originally American company would want to be proud of it's heritage, and produce ALL domestically- sold vehicles here, ESPECIALLY after being handed BILLIONS of taxpayer dollars to bail them out of their poor business practices. Plants in Mexico and China are what we get in return?

a quick trip to the Local Dealership's website, and the VIN Code for China is "L"; The "L" probably stands for Lethal; as most Chinese built cars are. (cars like my Aveo, and the Spark built at the Bupyeong plant in Incheon, South Korea start with the Letter "K")

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

Our American automakers had high health care costs and trouble competing with foreign brands.
The banking collapse meant customers could not finance vehicles and GM went into managed bankruptcy

JsDirt would rather have our company be completely destroyed.
I reckon you won't be able to deal with this so you will flee to some forum where they are still ranting about Benghazi. 

I won't be "fleeing" anywhere, Thomas ...:lol:

That is PART of why they collapsed - not the sole reasons!  That's how a free market system works. If you run a business correctly, there would be no reason to collapse, regardless of the economy. You get by with what you've got! Unions these days don't help much - funneling money that should go to the workers right to the democrat party ...

Any sane person would've let the company collapse! Where are the bailouts for all the small businesses that democrats regulated out of existence?

I'm waiting ...

Edited by Jsdirt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There were many issues that were all interconnected at one common point - the finance.  The housing market crashed, which took out the building industry, which nearly halted the sales of trucks.  Then it all just trickled down, taking the automakers. The automakers flooded the market in the two years before the crash with no interest and big rebates.  Once everyone has a vehicle a year or two old, they don't need a new one. 

The unions are 100% responsible for the ridiculous wage packages assembly line workers get.  It's pretty bad when the assembly line worker is paid 50% more per hour than the technician gets to repair it. 

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/9/2018 at 8:58 AM, Jsdirt said:

Unions these days don't help much - funneling money that should go to the workers right to the democrat party ...

... the small businesses that democrats regulated out of existence?

Unreferenced, unsupported Fox News talking points

I will touch on it again.  GM has plant capacity here in the US to make this car.  Why can't they?  Or Canada/Mexico?  Tariff solved.

35 minutes ago, Campier said:

Not to stray from the original topic, but I have a friend who works for the local Motts plant.  The union he is part of has done nothing but $HIT all over the employees there.  Their dues constantly go up, their healthcare percentage keeps dropping, if you have a complaint to file, everyone blows each other at the top and some lowers and nothing gets done about it.  Its nothing but cronies. 

Unions are shite. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, newdude said:

I will touch on it again.  GM has plant capacity here in the US to make this car.  Why can't they?  U

Not to stray from the original topic, but I have a friend who works for the local Motts plant.  The union ...malaise deleted...

GM doesn't have capacity to make the Envision in the US. And what is GM supposed to do, build the Envision in the US to sell in China at a price disadvantage?

I have a hundred friends and classmates who work at GM Lordstown. They are proud of their company and their union. I don't know if you could hack it doing that demanding job on the assembly line. You gotta hustle.

Edited by Campier

11 hours ago, Campier said:

Thanks for the laugh, labor-boy! You waited 3 months for that whopper, aye? :lol:

Not taking the bait - got a life to live.

• Like 1