Tire decisions. BFG - GY - Falken

I've started the search for new tires. I believe I have 5k miles left in mine. I currently have the stock GY.

I average about 20k to 22k a year so I'd like to buy a tire that would not kill the MPG too bad. I would like a little more of an aggressive look than the street tires that come on these trucks.

I am currently looking at the following in 275/60R20:

1. BFG KO2. ($235 ea. LT)Good:  These look great and would probably last a good while. Bad: expensive,  they don't have a rim guard which I think would help on a 20" rim

2. GY Duratracs. ($230 ea. LT) Good: Nice looking tire, have the rim guard and I live 25 miles from a Goodyear plant (support the local company). Bad: Expensive

3. Falken Wildpeak AT/3.($175 ea. P) Good: less expensive, have rim guard, Bad: not as aggressive, lesser known brand

I don't do any off-roading but I do like a good looking tire (AT). Snow traction isn't a concern (North Alabama)

I don't do any real towing.

Things that matter:

1. Wet traction 

2. Noise

3. Loss of MPG

4. Tread life

Advice? Experiences? Thoughts?

Thanks.

Edited by danb303

As far as your list though:
I've been impressed with the wet traction thus far. But haven't had an the opportunity to put them through the Washington rains just yet. They're completely silent as far as I can tell. Haven't had them long enough to report on tread life, but I've read good things.

Not that you don't have enough choices already, but i'm going with:

COOPER DISCOVERER A/T3

co_discoverer_at3_l.jpg.5a4dad0d6aa465be9ad86ed66453735e.jpg

$200 for my size (18") but I know the store I buy them at has buy 3 get one free deals at least one or more times a year. (black Friday)

I had them on previous truck and liked them enough to buy again. Great traction in all conditions, not loud, good tread wear.

I have about 10 months on a set of KO's in 20" - tire noise is somewhat noticeable, MPG went down some (1-2MPG depending on surface) however here in Michigan the traction is 2nd to none in the snow and wet. Even at the boat launches that are all slimed up. Expensive, 1st rotation done and not one slow leak to date - very happy

• Like 1

COOPER DISCOVERER A/T3
$200 for my size (18") but I know the store I buy them at has buy 3 get one free deals at least one or more times a year. (black Friday)
I had them on previous truck and liked them enough to buy again. Great traction in all conditions, not loud, good tread wear.
I have put at3s on a lot of trucks/SUVs. They are a great all terrain tire and usually can find deals on them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I have put at3s on a lot of trucks/SUVs. They are a great all terrain tire and usually can find deals on them.

I drive roughly 40k miles a year living 75 miles from work. All highway. Usually last 2 and a half years before I put on a new set.

1 hour ago, aseibel said:

COOPER DISCOVERER A/T3

I had these on my 1st Gen Tundra. Great tire. They recently did a redesign with a few more options that are aggressive. OP you should look up these: http://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-at3-xlt.aspx

A3.PNG

34 minutes ago, Spendit said:

I have about 10 months on a set of KO's in 20" - tire noise is somewhat noticeable, MPG went down some (1-2MPG depending on surface) however here in Michigan the traction is 2nd to none in the snow and wet. Even at the boat launches that are all slimed up. Expensive, 1st rotation done and not one slow leak to date - very happy

Agree,  Stock 20" size, noticeable noise, MPG down a little...These are my winter setup, great grip in all conditions.

Edited by 03C5Z

You list mpg and noise as two important factors but have the most aggressive AT tire and two hybrids listed.

The BFG's are over rated and over priced, they are out performed by other more reasonable options in tires tests (not to mention the design has caused some concerns with hydro-planning). Haven't heard that great of things about the Duratracs, especially about longevity and toughness (though you aren't off roading so that is mute). Of the 3 listed the Falken's I have heard best things about but they are hybrids and are new so the long term verdict doesn't have data behind it yet (neither does the BFG's really).

I did plenty of homework with tires before my last set and the Coopers are what I will be going with the next go around. They aren't the most aggressive looking (though these new redesigns take care of that) but they just flat out perform. They are highly rated (they won expedition portals AT tire test), do well on the road especially compared to the other more aggressive options), have a deeper tread in many cases in P rating, are cheaper and made in the USA.

I have also heard good things about the Hankooks as well. I would put less emphasis on looks and more on overall performance and needs as the coolest looking tire is usually performs the worst on road. Also avoid LT tires and stay P-rated for street duty (or maybe C-rated at most) unless you are towing heavy. My P-rated Generals did the alpine loop in Colorado, white rim in Moab and other places with out fail, it will be plenty on the street and keep your ride nicer and mpg less impacted. Good luck on your search.

Tyler

Edited by amxguy1970
  • Like 2

Below is my 2 cents. Keep in mind this is based on the tire size you are looking for (275/60r20), the ply of the tire as I mention below can change based on the the size. Even if it's the same brand tire.

KO's are a 10 ply tire, so they are heavier. I ran them on another vehicle I had and as everyone else is mentioning, my MPG went down and there was a little more noise on the road vs my previous tires (nothing crazy though like a Mud Terrain tire). The good - they are tough tires that can take a beating. I never had a flat or leak in driving 50k miles on them. Also, the traction in snow is incredible. BUT if you hardly ever tow or load up the bed, they are overkill for just highway driving. The other bad, if it matters to you, is that they are a stiffer tire so you'll feel bumps more than a lesser ply tire.

I can't speak to Goodyear Dura's. Have only seen that they have good reviews.

Falken Wildpeak AT/3' are a 4 ply tire, so lighter. Reviews are off the charts for this tire, people love them. Your MPG won't suffer, it's a softer ride because it's not a 10 ply, and you get an AT tread for the look you want - though you did comment they don't look as aggressive as you'd like. Traction is great all around. The only *potential* downside to these tires would be towing capacity. You can still tow what the truck is rated for, but being a 4 ply tire the sidewalls are not as robust as a 10 ply. All that means is you *could* get a flat or puncture easier. But there are plenty of people who'll tell you they've never had an issue towing with a 4 ply or 6 ply tire. There's just greater risk, that's all.

Based on your circumstances - lots of miles per year and never seeing snow - I'd go with the Falken Wildpeak AT/3's. You'll save money upfront and in the long run. If you decide you want to tow a lot and/or do off-roading, may want to consider a 10 ply tire like the BF KO's. Regardless of your choice, those are all great rated tires. Just depends on how you plan to use them.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, amxguy1970 said:

The BFG's are over rated and over priced, they are out performed by other more reasonable options in tires tests (not to mention the design has caused some concerns with hydro-planning).

When I did my homework they were tops in their class last year.  As for hydro-planing, that's a load of bull.  I've driven 75-80 mph through 1-2 inches of standing water in a torrential downpour and the truck hasn't budged an inch in any storm.  They are fantastic in the rain.  

In the size selected, 275-60-20, the KO2 is a Load Range D tire (64811), not E.  It weighs 54.5 pounds.

• Like 3

Falken Wildpeak A/T in 275/65/R18 will be going on mine before the winter hits.  I've got 52k+ on the original GYs, and should have another 4-6k on them before they get replaced.  Held up better than I expected, even though I never felt all that confident in them.  Time for the new tires before that white crap starts falling from the sky.  Everyone I talk to that has the Falken's love them, plus they are rated pretty good too.