Cooper AT3 4S

Really interested in seeing some real world review on them. I figured by the time it’s time to replace my SRA’s there should be some thing out there on them. In the meantime the Continental TerrainContact AT’s are the front runner for me. 

• Like 2

I am on my second set of Cooper Discoverer ATP's which are similar to what you're looking at... The ATP's are Discount Tire Exclusive for whatever reason... I got 45k miles out of the first set before they we're down to 4/32's and I decided to swap 'em out... Good grip quite enough etc... Obviously I bought a second set to replace the first, what stronger endorsement could I possibly give than that.

They seem VERY similar to the first AT3s. I'd assume that the 4S run just as well or better. I like the slight redesigned sidewall but not aggressive enough for my taste. Loved the AT3s on my Tundra, but wanting a more aggressive look. The XLTs look nice but I want more pictures to confirm my purchases. 

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to wear out my stock Michelins, next tire is the AT3 XLT. Lots of great review on the regular AT3's that have been around for a while, new tire is an update in the tread, rubber and sidewall treatment. I expect to get around 50K miles out of them as they warranty them for 55,000 or something like that, my truck is heavy at 8,250 lbs with me in it. Going a different route with tire size this truck, looking to fit a 285 75 18 on the stock wheels, nearly a 35 inch tire but narrow. Should be able to get by with cranked stock keys, or re-indexed keys and shock extenders, hopefully.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to share. After a very rainy weekend here in western PA and lots of driving I decided to get rid of the Goodyear SRA’s sooner rather than later. Got the Cooper AT3 4S tires on in the stock 275/55/20 size. Can’t do much of a review on them since I only have about 15 miles on them on dry roads but they rode real smooth from the tire shop and we’re pretty quiet at about 50mph. Heck even the SRA’s handled those conditions well. [emoji6]

I really like the look of them on the truck too. I would imagine they’d look even better on a clean truck! Expecting more rain so I’m in no rush. Plus I kind of like the dirty truck with new tires look!

7ab6a49562df94a7d88f65d27dfbd894.jpg4095af40a32e3467293febad1a548caf.jpgae119523f9f40a4a7c4ed500382f7590.jpg

97c2610a357d895fcd22acdabc1bf103.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cupton said:

Just wanted to share. After a very rainy weekend here in western PA and lots of driving I decided to get rid of the Goodyear SRA’s sooner rather than later. Got the Cooper AT3 4S tires on in the stock 275/55/20 size. Can’t do much of a review on them since I only have about 15 miles on them on dry roads but they rode real smooth from the tire shop and we’re pretty quiet at about 50mph. Heck even the SRA’s handled those conditions well. emoji6.png

I really like the look of them on the truck too. I would imagine they’d look even better on a clean truck! Expecting more rain so I’m in no rush. Plus I kind of like the dirty truck with new tires look!

7ab6a49562df94a7d88f65d27dfbd894.jpg4095af40a32e3467293febad1a548caf.jpgae119523f9f40a4a7c4ed500382f7590.jpg

97c2610a357d895fcd22acdabc1bf103.jpg

THESE LOOK GREAT!! Really making me question Fualken's 

Now anyone want to test the XLTs? :D

THESE LOOK GREAT!! Really making me question Fualken's   

Now anyone want to test the XLTs? [emoji3]

It really was a tough choice. It came down to the Coopers really being an American company, severe snow rated and I regretted not getting them on my other truck. Might be a dumb reason to buy a tire, but it is what it is. I had 3 tires I was really considering.

Continental Terrain Contact AT - Awesome reviews but I really wanted that severe snow (3 peak) rating living in a place where we see snow in western Pennsylvania. They probably would of been fine since I haven't seen that much snow since we moved here 3 years ago. But my luck the winter after I bought them we would of been dumped on.

Falken Wildpeaks - Ive seen lots of good reviews on these and it has the sever snow rating. I was a little worried about the aggressive tread since my truck is 90-95% on the road and didn't want too much road noise. But apparently they are pretty quiet. I've got the 55 aspect ratio so the tread would be a minimum height anyway. Falken isn't an American tire. Like I said, "DUMB REASON".

Copper A/T3 4s - I wanted the 1st gen A/T3 when I replaced the tires on my last '15 sierra a couple years ago but I was dumb and didn't get them because there was a good deal on the Goodyear All Terrain Adventures at the time. So I bought those instead. They were OK, but still not what I was hoping for in the snow or rain. Way better than the SRA'a were though! So I went with the Coopers this time because I liked the look of the tire, American company, the reviews on the previous generation were good and I regretted not getting them on my other truck. I had to make amends with myself. Ha!  [emoji6]

Worst case, if Im not happy then I get something different for the next set. Just like a very expensive pair of shoes.

Edited by Cupton
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Uhhhh, hate to bust your bubble, but Cooper sold out to Apollo Tyres from India back in 2013 for $2.5B.  Google it.  

So much for that "American company" choice.  I'm not a Goodyear fan anymore, but GY is the only American tire company left.  

Some would say, yeah, but Cooper has an office in America.  Ok, but all the international tire companies do, in order to do business here; Bridgestone, Hankook, Yokohama, etc.  

I remember hearing that a few years ago but I understood that the deal never went through for some reason. I cant remember where I read that. Dangit, oh well! That being said, they drive and look great and I have no more slippage in the rain. Looking forward to seeing how they handle the snow this upcoming winter.

10 hours ago, Cupton said:

I remember hearing that a few years ago but I understood that the deal never went through for some reason. I cant remember where I read that. Dangit, oh well! That being said, they drive and look great and I have no more slippage in the rain. Looking forward to seeing how they handle the snow this upcoming winter.

After I read your reply, I did some more research.  The articles I previously read and what I remembered were about how Cooper was going to sell out to Apollo.  You are right, I stand corrected.  My sincere apologies!  The deal did fall through just before it was completed, with many lawsuits afterwards.  So according to later articles in Modern Tire Dealer and Wikipedia, that leaves Goodyear AND Cooper as the two remaining American tire companies. Be proud of your new tires

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MaverickZ71 said:

After I read your reply, I did some more research.  The articles I previously read and what I remembered were about how Cooper was going to sell out to Apollo.  You are right, I stand corrected.  My sincere apologies!  The deal did fall through just before it was completed, with many lawsuits afterwards.  So according to later articles in Modern Tire Dealer and Wikipedia, that leaves Goodyear AND Cooper as the two remaining American tire companies. Be proud of your new tires

Shoot, you’ve got nothing to apologize for! It’s all good! ?

On 9/19/2018 at 11:42 PM, Cupton said:

Shoot, you’ve got nothing to apologize for! It’s all good! ?

Where did you get your AT3's?  Im in the same boat.  Im trying to find them locally but the one's around here that can get the tire want an arm, a leg, first born and the first right of refusal to the grandchild.  Western PA here too - around Greensburg.

13 minutes ago, mr. tim said:

Where did you get your AT3's?  Im in the same boat.  Im trying to find them locally but the one's around here that can get the tire want an arm, a leg, first born and the first right of refusal to the grandchild.  Western PA here too - around Greensburg.

I’m up in the northern Pittsburgh area up by Cranberry. I get all my tires from Fleming Tire in Mars. They had to order them from the local distributor but they came in the same day (Unusually fast) and I had them installed that same afternoon. Usually it’s a full day to get them delivered as long as they are in stock at the distributor. 

Have you tried Tirebuyer.com? They have some pretty good deals and they ship them to your tire installer. Free shipping too as long as they go to a tire shop and not to your door. I’d check them out too. 

Edited by Cupton