Live from the first 2019 Silverado press drive

Zane

Hi everyone! I'm in Wyoming right now attending the national press introduction for the 2019 Silverado. This is the first time anyone from outside of GM will have a chance to drive the all new truck. 

I'll be updating this thread with photos and videos that I take while I'm here. Driving impressions are embargoed until next Monday, the 13th.

Feel free to ask questions or put in a request for any information of photos you want. I have access to GM engineers while I'm here. 

20180808_134214.jpg

20180808_183417.jpg

20180808_182556.jpg20180808_140038.jpg

• Like 1

I was browsing videos and pictures past day or so, and I was wondering Do you know what is these 2 blank switches are for? one is on the left side of the switch row and the other is on the right. I have noticed this done on quite a few RST/LT trail boss models. No one seems to talk about these switches with no markings? Are these to wire something into like a light bar ? Thanks

Untitled1.png

Untitled12.png

4 hours ago, silveradonationfan15 said:

I was browsing videos and pictures past day or so, and I was wondering Do you know what is these 2 blank switches are for? one is on the left side of the switch row and the other is on the right. I have noticed this done on quite a few RST/LT trail boss models. No one seems to talk about these switches with no markings? Are these to wire something into like a light bar ? Thanks

Those are just standard blank switches because the truck isn't equip with the feature that would normally use those switches. Looking at High Country interior photos/videos from the Detroit auto show the leftmost blank switch is likely the switch for the lane keeping assist system. What the symbol on the rightmost switch means is not immediately jumping to me,  it appears to be for deactivating or turning something off though.  

Edited by teehee

Zane, 

Can you confirm the strength, performance and function of the new " Plastic" Hood release lever?

This seems like a cheap way to save a few ounces or cost over steel.

What is the engineers answer for this?

Untitled-2.thumb.png.4bcace6466789150bdfeb2e95490b8fa.png

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, teehee said:

Those are just standard blank switches because the truck isn't equip with the feature that would normally use those switches. Looking at High Country interior photos/videos from the Detroit auto show the leftmost blank switch is likely the switch for the lane keeping assist system. What the symbol on the rightmost switch means is not immediately jumping to me,  it appears to be for deactivating or turning something off though.  

Could very be true, hopefully you can use the swithes for something else

18 hours ago, Zane said:

Feel free to ask questions or put in a request for any information of photos you want. I have access to GM engineers while I'm here. 

I'm dying to find out why they designed a truck tailgate that does not sit flat/ flush/ even with the bed level when open. Any way you can get anyone to explain that?

Edited by aseibel

16 hours ago, silveradonationfan15 said:

Untitled1.png

Untitled12.png

Far left is lane departure, far right is an all windows down switch (I think).  When equipped.... otherwise blank switches with no wires or purpose. 

6 hours ago, aseibel said:

I'm dying to find out why they designed a truck tailgate that does not sit flat/ flush/ even with the bed level when open. Any way you can get anyone to explain that?

I didn't notice that today. All the tailgates sat flush, or at least seemed to. Where did you see that they are not level?

6 hours ago, JacobC1983 said:

Does the driveline clunk or pop? Is the dynamic fuel management smoother than active fuel management

Can't talk driving impressions until Monday. That said, no abnormal issues or driveline clunk whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, Zane said:

Far left is lane departure, far right is an all windows down switch (I think).  When equipped.... otherwise blank switches with no wires or purpose. 

Also the far right switch is used for the power steps and hill decent. And yes I have seen the all windows down switch there too. I would really like to know which trucks get the all windows down switch?? Haven’t seen it on many trucks, even on a loaded HC it wasn’t on there. 

8 hours ago, Zane said:

I didn't notice that today. All the tailgates sat flush, or at least seemed to. Where did you see that they are not level?

Left to right, they are level. But not front to back. When you open the gate to lay a piece of lumber in the bed, it only touches at the tip of the tailgate and way up at the front end of the bed because the gate angles up.

They have all been that way since the last generation. I saw a video of the 2019 with the gate down and I can see as plain as day that they did not fix it with this model either. Someone actually designed a tailgate that is not in the same plane as the truck bed and I want to know the purpose of this. I was hoping you could ask one of the GM engineers for an explanation. Its really a poor design for anyone who hauls long items in the bed because it places half of the weight or more on the farthest edge of the tailgate.