2019 Silverado Hitting the lots!!

3 hours ago, GMC-AT said:

Also... whoever at GM decided it was a good idea to mount the 2019 side mirrors to the body... should be shot

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm glad they moved the mirrors. The mirror position on the K2 trucks is a major pain when trying to look forward out the side window. Between the tall hood, thick A-pillar, and the mirror's position, you can't see a very important area in front of the truck. Especially when driving off-road and trying to place the tires on a specific line to get past on obstacle. The 2019 trucks have a space to look through so you can see where the front tires are going to go.

Edited by HondaHawkGT

1 hour ago, HondaHawkGT said:

I'm glad they moved the mirrors. The mirror position on the K2 trucks is a major pain when trying to look forward out the side window. Between the tall hood, thick A-pillar, and the mirror's position, you can't see a very important area in front of the truck. Especially when driving off-road and trying to place the tires on a specific line to get past on obstacle. The 2019 trucks have a space to look through so you can see where the front tries are going to go.

Style wise the door mounted mirrors are one of my favorite parts.  That guy deserves a corner office.  

I see plenty of things better about the GM including tech and variety compared to the Ram.  There are also some glarring omissions.  

• Like 1

I don't agree with any suggestion that GM trucks are behind (or ahead) of RAM (or Ford).  They each offer some different and some comparable features.  These manufacturers all have the technical expertise to match each others' "technology".  GM's choice of features that they  offer in their trucks more closely match my needs and wants.  I enjoy following developments in all brands of trucks and GM continues to be my first choice!

Edited by Donstar
  • Like 4

I like the ride in the new 2019 Ram. It's definitely a truck shaped car. It would be awesome on long road trips. Really quiet and uconnect definitely better than GM or Ford's touchscreen system. The dash in the Laramie I drove looked great aside from the annoying shift knob. Is it too much to ask that they offer an optional column shifter? Not crazy about the 4WD controls being right next to the shift knob. I prefer them to be over on the left hand side. One difference I noticed is that the transmission seems to be tuned a lot different for 2019. Compared to older 8-speed Ram's I have driven, the new truck seemed a lot more aggressive at trying to get to 8th gear as fast as possible and the delay between pressing down on the pedal and the transmission reacting seemed as slow as my 6 speed was before I got a Black Bear tune. 

19 hours ago, GMC-AT said:

Look at some YouTube videos of the 2019 limited. Just a few things..
Air ride
Ram box
floor box/cooler
Vented and heated rear seats..that recline btw
Much more soft touch interior
Auto high beams
Lights that turn/move with truck
active shutters/ auto lowering for Aero
Etourque battery (personally don't like)
Auto wipers
massive 12in display

**Gm may have a few of these things now in 2019...not sure

Anyway...its leaps and bounds ahead of GM. Again..I have been diehard GM for many years...never thought in a million years i would own a Dodge...but I had to amit they are clearly top now...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Don’t forget panaramic Sun roof....There is definitely something special about the Ram limited. They set a high bar and that is good for all of us. GM may not have responded in 2019 but they will HAVE to respond in the refresh. That’s going to be good for GM buyers...

With that said I don like the exterior styling of the Ram. It looks like a half minivan and half truck. That’s my personal opinion, however. I really like the styling of the 2019 Silverado and Sierra. I think GM did a good job.l and according to the comments I’m apparently on  of the only ones that likes the new styling.

In the end I will probably end up with a GM. I think the reliability/quality factors are too far apart. It’s amusing to join any FCA product forum and watch the repair/recall/maintenance section. They are the only auto forums where the number of threads in the repair section grow faster than the normal thread sections. If you want a good laugh go to the JL Wrangler forum and visit the repair forum....FCA quality, quality control are on another level and it isn’t a positive level..LOL

Edited by Chris walker

On 8/11/2018 at 1:33 PM, Chris walker said:

Don’t forget panaramic Sun roof....

disappointed no adaptive cruise control in either line, especially with so many other GM vehicles with the feature, namely the Yukon and Tahoe/Suburban.

Edited by carfansince73

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:20 PM, GMC-AT said:

Look at some YouTube videos of the 2019 limited. Just a few things..

Air ride (GM and air ride compressors don't mix well.  See the U body vans, GMT-800 SUVs, 2000's Cadillac/Pontiac/Buick.  Gets $$$$ when air ride breaks)

Ram box (high desert but it was a limited deal on K2, but on T1 you can get the in box side storage units that only take up the bed space GM gained and don't eat up most of the box space like Ram Box.  So +1 to GM IMO)

floor box/cooler

Vented and heated rear seats..that recline btw (they added heated for T1)

Much more soft touch interior (everyone's feel is different of every truck.  I think some Ram and Ford seats are too soft/unsupportive, as are their door/dash materials that leave much to be desired)

Auto high beams (already have this and have had this since some GMT-900 applications)

Lights that turn/move with truck (GM has done this on higher end vehicles, mainly Buick and Cadillac.  Makes for one expensive and complex headlight assembly)

active shutters/ auto lowering for Aero (K2 got active shutters in 2016)

Etourque battery (Current Gen does have the Silverado eAssist option)

Auto wipers (GMT-900 had this as does K2)

massive 12in display (big whoop.  Vehicle connectivity should rank much lower priority than the manufacturers suggest it should.  You should be driving your car not fiddling with an in dash iPad)

**Gm may have a few of these things now in 2019...not sure

Narrowed that down to what GM doesn't have and or has a competitor to a feature.  Plus some commentary LOL.

Edited by newdude
  • Thanks 1

I saw a 19 Silverado LT at the dealership last night and I really dig the new setup.  It had small wheels/tires and no options but it looked pretty dang good.

I was glad to see the new aluminum doors don't look like Fords with all the unintended waves and ripples too.  I was seriously worried that was the result of using aluminum, but it's just Ford being Ford and making them as cheap as they can.

I had to google this "start stop" button to figure out what you guys are talking about. Now I understand. I did not know this was coming to our trucks.

I drove a rental car in Ireland that had this feature on a manual transmission. I about crapped myself the first time it killed in traffic and I didn't know it was supposed to do that. But after a few days I was used to it. Yes, its weird, but it barely affects regular driving.

I think if I got a truck with the feature, I'd leave it on and see how it affects me. I don't drive through much traffic or commute where there's a ton of stop lights.

Just like AFM, there will be people who MUST disable the feature, but I bet for most people who commute through areas with stop lights, it will be a nice feature to have.

All that aside, the front end is fugly. I'm glad I got a 2015 and don't have to buy one of these.
Chalk me up as one of the people that hate the auto stop in my 18 traverse!
Feels just like somebody "bumped" into my vehicle every time it starts on its own.
I am also guessing that it burns more fuel on each initial start up than it saves idling for 5 seconds!
Let alone all the extra starter engagements.
I haven't been able to find a way to disable it on my traverse without putting it in manual either!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, sldhead700 said:

I haven't been able to find a way to disable it on my traverse without putting it in manual either!

...so do that then?  All you have to do it drop it to manual mode and hit the shift rocker till it says L9 or M9.  Then drive on your merry way. 

On 8/11/2018 at 10:33 AM, Chris walker said:

Don’t forget panaramic Sun roof....There is definitely something special about the Ram limited. They set a high bar and that is good for all of us. GM may not have responded in 2019 but they will HAVE to respond in the refresh. That’s going to be good for GM buyers...

With that said I don like the exterior styling of the Ram. It looks like a half minivan and half truck. That’s my personal opinion, however. I really like the styling of the 2019 Silverado and Sierra. I think GM did a good job.l and according to the comments I’m apparently on  of the only ones that likes the new styling.

In the end I will probably end up with a GM. I think the reliability/quality factors are too far apart. It’s amusing to join any FCA product forum and watch the repair/recall/maintenance section. They are the only auto forums where the number of threads in the repair section grow faster than the normal thread sections. If you want a good laugh go to the JL Wrangler forum and visit the repair forum....FCA quality, quality control are on another level and it isn’t a positive level..LOL

See? Nearly every single one of Rams "advantages" comes from features. Bigger touch screens, bigger sunroof, coolers in the floor, vented rear seats.........where are the mechanical advantages? Towing benefits? More power? Stuff that makes a truck a better TRUCK? My Ram mostly has failed me in the electronics dept requiring many trips to the dealer....and It's just a mid grade trim! I could imagine what happens when the 12" TV screen craps out, or the dial shifter fails (which they do all the time) and the air ride? Around here in the great white north its comical how many brand new Ram trucks have all or part of the air ride fail in cold weather causing a lowrider effect.

If GM responded similarly to Ram we would have no new towing tech, no new 10 speed transmission, no new inline 6 diesel, no 2.7 T4 option, no DFM (take it for what its worth I guess) and while we're at it lets go back to the numbers the 6.2 was putting out back in 2013 as its comparable to Rams output today. Ram left all its powertrain options be as they were in the past, no power bump for the Hemi, and no transmission changes (they now trail GM and Ford by 2 gears) 

So, how happy would y'all be with a GM with a big TV, softer leather, pano sunroof, more funky coated trim bits on the dash (and not all of them are of high quality on the ram) a few more tech toys to impress the neighbours that you'll ultimately never use, and really, really bland styling?

I may have went with another Ram if the updated the engines and transmissions and did more with the exterior styling. I tow a bunch, go hunting, quading,  and generally use my rigs as a truck. GM has many features that i really like that have real benefits for use. 

If I were GM, I would build a Cadillac version of these new trucks. Throw the 500+ Hp Twin Turbo caddy V8 in it, a world class interior with suede and leather slathered everywhere, put every-single- electronic gimmick known to man, make a sunroof big enough to drive a Fiat 500 through, a full independent rear suspension with magnetic ride on all four corners, and put a $100K plus tag on it. It'll blow every other truck out of the water while testing just how much folks will pay for a luxo truck. But I really hope they keep advancing the common guy trucks, leave the glitz and chrome for the Cadillac version.

• Like 5