Fuel tank size?

9 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

Curious as to what year Silverado you had that couldn’t do better than 17 MPG highway.  Unless you’re driving 90 mph, the K2s and T1s will get at least 20 and usually a lot more. I saw 24 on a few trips with my 16 5.3.

It was a 2006 extended cab 1500 lt 2wd.  and out of the 7 GM cars I have owned it was the most ;unreliable POS I have ever owned.  I loved my first 3 GM cars but the last 3 all  had issues.  Thats why I jumped ship and have been very happy.  Wifes 2010 Edge has 98k and only 1 set of tires, 1 battery and front brakes.  Still dead on full at 7500 mile oil change.  Silverado used a quart in 3500 when new.  The funny part is all the guys at work with 5.3 liter chevys say thats normal and all V8 use 1/2 to a quart between oil changes...  Blows my mind how brain washed they seem to be.

Like I said  I loved my old GMs  and built a stout 327 (about 350 HP) and a high reving ( for its day) Olds 425 CID monster.  That one was fun!

• Like 2

Probably not fair to do a fuel economy comparison between a GMT800 that was designed in the 90s and a current F150, but I get it. Everyone has their own angle of brainwashing. Plenty of people complaining about oil consumption (and worse) on the 2.7 as well. You can find whatever verdict and opinion you want to see on the internet these days. :D

On 1/3/2019 at 3:49 PM, Snoringbear said:

I think GM’s strategy is to push those who tow toward the 2500.  More specifically, the diesel 2500.

The reality is they're pushing people to Ford and Ram. 

• Like 3

On 3/1/2019 at 11:29 PM, OnTheReel said:

Probably not fair to do a fuel economy comparison between a GMT800 that was designed in the 90s and a current F150, but I get it. Everyone has their own angle of brainwashing. Plenty of people complaining about oil consumption (and worse) on the 2.7 as well. You can find whatever verdict and opinion you want to see on the internet these days. :D

If you were referring to me then Its not so much the gas mileage.  Dependability is my number 1 reason for picking a vehicle especially for my wife.  My last dependable GM was my 1979 Trans Am 6.6 liter.  My last 3  GMs just kept getting more and more undependable while the Fords never needed anything other than scheduled maintenance and we always keep our cars for 8-10 years.  My son still owns a 5.4 Liter  2004 FX4 with over 250k on it that has been great and he is in no hurry to replace it.  Im not a Ford fanboy, if suddenly start having issues with them then I will look at my other options. But for now Ford as earned to be in my driveway.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I tow my 6000lb loaded TT 7 or so times a year up in the mountains of Idaho and and there have been a few times where I've wanted for a bigger tank. I absolutely love my truck and for my commute to work I can go almost two weeks between fill-ups. So it's just those 7 or so times I need the extra fuel⛽️. Good 'ol gerry cans. Never had to bring more than one and way less expensive than an after market tank.

But what works for me may not work for you. Your mileage may vary as it were.

I have said in the past I would get a custom tank made... still might happen but feels much lower on the priority list after this past weekend. I pulled my 6320lbs travel trailer from Portland back in to Montana.  Overall average across 3 notable passes and despite a mild headwind on the second day was 11.3mpg at 65mph. Typical range was 11-13mpg on the instant read with a few spots where the wind and grade didn’t fight me netting 14. 

Near enough to 200 miles a tank. If it came to it I would dump the 5 gallons from my genny’s can. The little Honda never seems to go through it so I wouldn’t be too worried about not having a little extra. 

• 9 months later...

I have been looking for a replacement tank that is larger than stock 26 gallons in my 2019 AT4.  I have used Transfer Flow for replacement tanks in my last 4 trucks (3 diesel) - for my 2014 Raptor they made a 50 gallon replacement tank, which replaced the stock 36 gallon tank, which was awesome.   26 gallons sucks for road trips and given my commute is 120 miles round trip I am at the gas station three times per week!  For towing even worse - GM should have at least put a 36 gallon tank in the truck.  

Right now neither Transfer Flow or Titan have a large replacement tank available.  I have spoken with Transfer Flow and they are developing a larger tank, not sure on size yet and then have to get DOT approval of tank - a process out of their control, so they can't predict when something will be available for the new truck - hopefully by this summer.  I will keep watching to see what comes out as a larger tank is an immediate upgrade when available

Edited by Supercup

2 hours ago, Supercup said:

I have been looking for a replacement tank that is larger than stock 26 gallons in my 2019 AT4.  I have used Transfer Flow for replacement tanks in my last 4 trucks (3 diesel) - for my 2014 Raptor they made a 50 gallon replacement tank, which replaced the stock 36 gallon tank, which was awesome.   26 gallons sucks for road trips and given my commute is 120 miles round trip I am at the gas station three times per week!  For towing even worse - GM should have at least put a 36 gallon tank in the truck.  

Right now neither Transfer Flow or Titan have a large replacement tank available.  I have spoken with Transfer Flow and they are developing a larger tank, not sure on size yet and then have to get DOT approval of tank - a process out of their control, so they can't predict when something will be available for the new truck - hopefully by this summer.  I will keep watching to see what comes out as a larger tank is an immediate upgrade when available

Did they say it would be approved for gasoline or are they developing it for use with the 3.0L?

31 minutes ago, redwngr said:

Did they say it would be approved for gasoline or are they developing it for use with the 3.0L?

I did not specifically ask about diesel  - in reviewing their website - looks like gas for F150 and Toyota Tundra - all other replacement tanks they make are diesel for HD trucks (Ford, GM, Ram and Nissan).  They also offer 50 gallon replacement tank for Ford F150 diesel for 2019. 

link:  https://www.transferflow.com/shop/replacement-fuel-tanks?noncompat=true

Edited by Supercup
  • Like 1

Taked to Transferflow again today - they currently don't have any plans to build a replacement tank for Chevy/GMC 2019 + - maybe a bunch of email showing demand would help them change their mind!

They are selling all the tanks they make, as fast as they can and are not ready to allocate design time to another tank at this time.

Have in bed tanks - but a no go for me. 

On 8/24/2018 at 2:30 PM, Wintersun said:

If you want a 30+ gallon fuel tank it is an extra available for $500 with the F-150 and the RAM Rebel or standard with the Toyota Tundra Limited trucks. Out in the west where I travel a 22 gallon usable tank range means carry jerry cans which is something I have done in the past with my Willys but not something I care to repeat.

The Tundra’s actually started with a 38 gallon tank in 2016 for trim levels of SR5 Upgrade and above. Where I thoroughly enjoy the larger tank, it does have a large reserve. I’ve ran mine down to about 10 miles of range and put in roughly 28 gallons. 

Edited by Z71RAD88

On 1/24/2020 at 1:35 PM, Supercup said:

Taked to Transferflow again today - they currently don't have any plans to build a replacement tank for Chevy/GMC 2019 + - maybe a bunch of email showing demand would help them change their mind!

They are selling all the tanks they make, as fast as they can and are not ready to allocate design time to another tank at this time.

Have in bed tanks - but a no go for me. 

I emailed telling them I was interested.

Tundra mileage is horrible so that even with the 38 gallon tank, it's nowhere near as much range as my F-150 with the 36 gallon tank.  Ram's pricing is out of market, in my opinion, and here in Michigan, Chrysler employees are up in arms about Chrysler's strict, new employee pricing program so the best I can get is 1% below invoice from Chrysler under Friends and Family rather than Employee Discount from my uncle (direct family only now).  There is a 1500 Denali sitting at dealership 8 miles from my house that would have my name on it if it didn't have a puny 24 gallon tank.  I'm instead getting a new F-150 Platinum with a 36 gallon tank.  For those of you who live in urban or suburban areas where the weather is nice, it may not be a big deal to you to find and stop at a gas station.  But here in rural Michigan like much of the rural USA, it can mean having to go well out of the way to fill up more often.  Worse to me is that over 16,000 miles per year of driving means I'm stopping an additional 15+ times for gas in arctic conditions much of the year simply because GM won't offer a market competitive fuel tank that offers range?  Not me.  GM lost this sale.  I totally understand the range anxiety that electric car owners get and would suffer from it horribly with GM's puny tank especially with a decent engine, etc for towing.