Love my Iridescent Pearl paint, terrified of chips. Best way to protect?

So, as stated, I love my iridescent pearl tricoat paint.  I've got an '18 with just around 3K miles so far.  I wasn't big on previous GM offerings but this one has just been perfect for me.  In bright daylight, it's almost silver, dimmer light it's white.  When the lights get dim it really "shines" as the colors shift from gray to silver to white.

Anyway, as most know, a tricoat can be a horrible pain when it comes to rock chips.  I'm just looking for advice on the best way to protect against them.  I guessing that one of those clear bra wrap things is probably the best option.  I'd probably have to get most or all of the front, front edge of the hood and maybe behind the wheels.  Anybody car to share experiences or suggestions?  Ballpark costs would be nice as well.

Anyone had success with touchup paint from places like Dr. Colorchip?  I know it won't be perfect but decent from a moderate distance would be tolerable.

I have 17 CCSB Denali Ultimate with the White Frost Tricoat and was concerned about the same thing.  After driving for a couple weeks I got a few chips on the front bumper.  Before things got worse, I got the front bumper and piece above the bumper covered in Expel Ultimate film.  I would recommend to get this immediately if you want to keep it from getting damaged.  I paid a local shop that is certified by Expel to install and it ran me about $500, that included them touching up the few chips I had also.  It's not cheap, but definatly worth the investment.  Now I don't worry at all about anything chipping the bumper.   Does not require any special treatment and I can't even really tell that is is there.

As far as using it behind the wheels, I have the stock molded mud flaps and that protects that area IMO and don't think it is necessary.  I considered doing the front edge of my hood, but didn't want to see the line where the film edge ends and didn't  want to cover the entire hood with the film either.  

Edited by 907Tisch

I have a tri-coat 17 High Country. I did the bumper on it with 3M bra. Most everything else is chrome.

I have never seen decent touch-up for pearl paints.

I think you will find the range to run from $400 to $600 depending on the model of your truck and how much needs coated.

I have a tri-coat on my bike that when chipped, I do the same. The "touch-up" is done the same way the paint goes on. Base coat, color coat, clear coat. The 3M bra is a nice product that I have used on my trucks and also on my bike. Another option may be an AVS hood deflector?

As others have said, I’ve used 3m in certain places. I don’t have your paint color, but I was discouraged by a nasty chip 3wks I to ownership. I didn’t the best I could to “cover” it up, and now have 3m. 

+1 on the Expel or similar not a cheap option but in this case you get what you pay for IMO. Find a  reputable installer in your area and a brand with a warranty worth a sh!t. Another area to think about is the door sills my 015 drivers side looks like crap from me dragging my work boots over it and the pass rear ended up with a scratch in it from hauling something in the back seat. After I touch them both up I’m ordering a roll of film off EBay and doing them myself.

Guy I work with had a grey Yoda painted front end was done before it left the lot. I parked next to him for months before one day I noticed the edge of it across his hood. He had 50k+ on it, been on there for 3 years, not one chip anywhere and still looked good.

Idea of pricing 

Good pic of what the edge/line looks like

The matte would look killer against the pearl IMO 

• Like 1

I have a Denali with a painted front end. I have  XPEL brand clear-bra on the entire front end I got the rockers and behind the wheel wells done as well. the line from the film does not bother me, it is not visible enough to be and annoyance. I would gladly take the line from the film over rock chips. the truck is a GMT900 which means there is ZERO rock protection behind the wheel wells from the factory. I also have wide tires so If I didn't have the film my paint would be trashed. im not sure about 3M brand film, but the place that installed XPEL has a lifetime warranty on the yellowing of the film which I had replaced for free after about 2 years of it on the truck. Pricing for all of the film was around 1200.

Edited by KMGZ400

Thanks for all of the replies.  I should have mentioned that I have a Z71 so everything is painted up front.  Good to hear that the Dr. Colorchip stuff works decently but I think I'll still look into a clear bra.  I'm thinking at a minimum I'd want the front bumper, front section of the hood and maybe a strip above the windshield.  Depending on cost, the rest of the front end might get covered and the rocker panels.

I really appreciate all the mentions of XPEL as I wasn't aware of that product so I can now look into it.

Called a local place that installs XPEL Ultimate Plus.  $1380 for everything.  Seems kinda steep compared what folks have mentioned so I'll shop around if I can.  Also, she told me that the XPEL only has a 10 year warranty which is also stated on the XPEL website.

Heh, only other XPEL installer in the area was even steeper.  $1900 for the works.  

Edited by colonel00

If you do get rock chips the Loew Cornell fine tip pen is a life saver. There’s videos on YouTube using it, I have one and it produces superior results to any touch up pen or the tooth pick method. Hate how easy these tricks chip but wouldn’t trade my painted bumper for chrome, no way! 

Well I stopped by the first installer that I called just to chat and he worked with me.  Looks like I'll be able to get everything on the front, the mirrors and A pillars and even the rockers behind the rear wheels for under a grand.  Compared to what other people reported paying, it seems a little high but I guess prices have gone up and I"m limited on installers.  More than I was wanting to spend right now but to minimize the headache of chips and other paint issues, it's a pill I'll swallow.  As a bonus, the wife is even on board with the need.

Edited by colonel00

On 8/10/2018 at 10:08 PM, colonel00 said:

Well I stopped by the first installer that I called just to chat and he worked with me.  Looks like I'll be able to get everything on the front, the mirrors and A pillars and even the rockers behind the rear wheels for under a grand.  Compared to what other people reported paying, it seems a little high but I guess prices have gone up and I"m limited on installers.  More than I was wanting to spend right now but to minimize the headache of chips and other paint issues, it's a pill I'll swallow.  As a bonus, the wife is even on board with the need.

Well you have a lot more paint than some of us that just need bumper and maybe leading edge of hood done. If I had just painted mirrors that would have added $100.

Edited by rrmccabe

On 8/10/2018 at 8:37 AM, lapoolboy said:

I just touched up several chips on my iridescent pearl tricoat with the Dr. Colorchip kit.  Looks damn near perfect and I struggle to even find the spots now.  Someone unfamiliar with the truck would never be able to spot them.

I was just going to asked if any one has used the Dr. ColorChip Kit. I have a 2017 silverado Midnight edition. Got a few chips on the hood, so I guess I will order the Kit now that some people on here used it with good resolutes.     

Edited by Big Earl