Top of hood rock chips

Hey all,

Just washed the 2018 and found 2 rock? Chips on the top middle of the hood. 

Guess I could attempt to touch up with a touchup pin. Would you just put clear on the chip? Looks like it’s not down to primer.  Of course it will be tough not to create a bubble of touchup. 

Any good techniques?

This happening to others?

Truck just turned 6 months old!

C23A3BDC-BFFD-4836-9737-6BC26C367844.jpeg

FD7BC536-FD27-4BB9-BAB3-E84228E7B299.jpeg

Edited by 2009GMC

You will want to fill the chip with either paint/clear or clear. After it dries, you can wet sand using 800/1600/2000 grit. Don't press hard and take your time. If you do it right and don't get through the clear coat around the chip, a good coat of sealer polish should make it uniform. If you are uncomfortable doing this tedious task, do to a detailer or body shop and get their opinion.

8 hours ago, 454superDutt said:

Bought a new Chevy mid May.  The month of July I somehow got 5 chips on the hood in a week.  2 weeks later I now have another 6, 3 more on the hood and 3 on the front bumper.  Dealer is going to fix for free.

I would suggest filming (XPEL ultimate) the front end once repaired or it will continue to chip. I assume it's a Z71 with painted bumper? 

If you live where they use salt and sand in the winter it can be problematic. 

Hi, no it is not a Z71, custom made..I know someone that knows a dealer.  They send two men 500 miles, leave a sweet vehicle, take my truck back another 500 miles and change the oil for free.

My buddy has a GMC, he's got some sort of plastic film around his entire front end.  Runs back about 6". What ever he has, the stones have punched right through it and chipped his paint, both front fenders on the flare that buldges out.

I will try what you suggested, Than you!

One new stone chip is about 5" from the left side windsheild so I will have to cover the entire hood.

12 hours ago, jaxcam02 said:

I would suggest getting a hood air deflector.

I had the dealer fix a few on mine and I bought a AVS Bugflector 2 and haven't seen a new chip since.

I'd like to add a bug-rock deflector, but I'm a little leery about using double-sided tape directly onto my paint that's going to sit out in the sun for hours and hours, baking. 

I know folks use these all the time, but are there any long-term issues with this tape damaging the paint if not "refreshed" every few years? 

True. Took a magnet covered in microfiber cloth. 

Every body panel is steel on 14 - 18 K2xx except hood is aluminum. 

2019+ all swing panels aluminum (hood doors tailgate). 

On 8/15/2018 at 8:45 PM, jaxcam02 said:

AVS Bugflector 2 model # 25570

So it appears the AVS 2 has both stick-on and stand-off methods to mount them?  Seems odd...... I wonder if anyone with long-term tape has had issues with cleaning underneath it, or paint damage due to sitting out in the sun for years with adhesive on the paint. 

When I ordered my 2017 Silverado, my paint did the same thing. I don't live, or drive on dirt roads, but, the front bumper, and parts of my hood looked like the solar system. I ended up getting a new bumper, had it painted, and cleared to match the truck as the original one. The thing I did different was that I had the whole front clip, including the bumper wrapped with a paint protection film (not just a wrap), and then the entire truck, including the glass, mirrors, and inside and out of my rims coated with ceramic.

Your clear coat is about a 3 on the scale, the ceramic is a 9 on the scale, plus the paint protective film. Was it expensive to have professionally done, yes, but I have not had an issue since. For me, with a Midnight Edition that shows every little issue, in the long run, it will be worth it.

Now that I have lifted the truck, I am having a set of Rough Country wheel well flares painted and coated the same way as the rest of the truck. It's not just for looks, it will actually function to help save the paint, and hold re-sale should I ever decide to sell.

Inked20180727_180800_LI.jpg