14 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

:lol: Well, I don't think Ram is going to eat it in '19. GM has it's work cut out for it if it thinks it's going to compete with them on a level field.  They've got GM beat just on price alone.

The new Ram looks pretty but the Silverado's platform is far more advanced. 

14 hours ago, newdude said:

Every review I've read today expressed much enamor for the Ram's 12in display.  Guess I don't get the hype LOL. 

Zane, what impressions do you have on material qualities and feel on the various trims interiors?  A couple other reviews I read seemed to wish for a more luxurious interior, mentioning Ram and Ford as both being better. 

Chrysler has a darn good infotainment system and people love big screens, so I can see why it gets a lot of love. Chevy's materials are darn good. I thought the interior is better than Ford or RAM, but that's my personal opinion. Ford uses too many hard materials and RAM's switch gear can be a bit flimsy at times. I also have concerns about RAM's electrical system as FCA vehicles are some of the few that cause issues with my electronics on a regular basis. 

14 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Everything new is the next best thing since sliced bread....until it isn't. How long does that take? Yea...like minutes.  

Except GM will use this new platform for the next decade. Starting off in a good place is key to them holding a competitive spot for many years to come. 

My turn offs so far of the 2019 Chevy are similar but...

• Unloaded suspension float on bumpy roads.  I loved the "old" Chevy ride.  Also a bit floaty unloaded but still felt very in control.  2007-2018 are a bit rough on otherwise smooth road.  The white model driven here seemed also to have 18" wheels.  20" wheels are just stupid in a truck.  Stupid.
  • Interior is functional but has a drab design.  I also loved the 2014+ interior.  Sad to see them take that and make it more plain and boring.
  • Limited availability for 6.2L.   So few need a 6.2, but yeah, it does need to be an option in all models.
  • Enough trim levels to make a customer dizzy.  I don't mind dizzy.   Especially when there is a choice.  Does this point also make a contradiction to the above point?  Too many options, but not enough?

I dislike the grill, and the round wheel wells too.  The old square wells gave the Chevy a standout look.  Now it looks just like all the others in that aspect.  Yuck.  I may go GMC this time around.  And, no, the square doesn't hurt aerodynamics.  If you think it does then you probably don't understand how golf balls work either.  And that grill just looks odd.  Chevy has failed at the front end looks before, and once again they've messed it up.  Looking forward to the 2021 redesign, if for the interior if nothing else.

I just saw an RST Z71.  It has 33" tall tires, 275/60 20. It was black so it wasn't so ugly. Also saw a chrome grill and bumpered maroon LT Z71.  Not so nice looking.  Although ugly on the outside, I would still get one, but really hope they change the outside soon. Kinda like only after two years like the current trucks. 

Edited by SILVER SLED

What trim has the body color grill and bumpers, and has "Chevrolet" in the grill instead of the bowtie?  It's the white truck second from the far end on the pic at top.

45 minutes ago, Nargg said:

My turn offs so far of the 2019 Chevy are similar but...

• ...  20" wheels are just stupid in a truck.  Stupid.

1" less sidewall bothers you that much?

On a tire that's 31" in circumference, a 20" rim isn't all that radical - there's 4.5" of sidewall. 26's, or 30's would look ridiculous, IMO.

Looking forward to seeing one in person.   I'm an HD buyer now and wish GM would release some information on the new HD trucks coming out, before I pull the trigger on a 2018 F350 next week.   

Zane, how do you feel the new Intellilink is?   The current version is terrible, map resolution is horrible, and Sync3 puts it to shame in almost all ways.

19 hours ago, BobHancock said:

No adaptive cruise, no magnetorheliological suspension, and a face that looks like a Star Wars Storm Trooper in white.  I had the first two in a GMC Denali and grew to like those features.  No reason Chevy can't do the same.  I'll bet it's some kind of corporate decision.  I'd like to hear Bob Lutz expound on this.  

Other than that, the 10-speed and less weight would be nice but not enough to tempt me away from my current ride. 

Is he still around?

He's 86 years old and still writes for the back page of Road and Track.

8 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

1" less sidewall bothers you that much?

On a tire that's 31" in circumference, a 20" rim isn't all that radical - there's 4.5" of sidewall. 26's, or 30's would look ridiculous, IMO.

Circumference?  That is one small tire.  I prefer 17" wheels or 18" wheels at the most.  On a 20" wheel a 31" tire should have a 5.5 inch sidewall.  On a 18 inch wheel it's a 6.5 inch sidewall.  17" wheel, 7 inch side wall. To me it's the extra metal that I don't like the look of.  I am from the era that trucks with big lift kits had 15 inch wheels.  The biggest stock wheel came on one tons, 16.5 wheels. . 

I am too, Doug ... but anything smaller than a 18" looks ridiculous on modern stuff (trucks, I should say) - they've designed the wheels to be huge these days. Probably so when the crap hits the fan, you'll be literally "spinning your wheels". Wide tires ain't going far in deep snow.

When the UPS guy delivered these wheels/tires in summer of '10, he asked if they were going on a tractor-trailer unit. :lol:  When I told them they were going on my little half-ton pickup, he was speechless in disbelief for a few seconds. They looked REAL friggin big inside the UPS truck.

LOL, yeah, NOT circumference - might have had a few too many the night before, there.  Meant DIAMETER. Words mean something! :lol: 

My summer wheels are 275/55-20, and have 4.5" of sidewall. Look perfectly fine on this piece of rolling Tupperware. :)

Silverado, rims wheels.JPG

IMG_9012.thumb.JPG.ff34ed8abe21a2265573269c39c224cd.JPG

Edited by Jsdirt

Here's the same diameter tire in a 22" - now it's starting to get a little ridiculous looking on a truck ...

Status wheels 2.JPG

Edited by Jsdirt

1955 Task Force is introduced with the all new 265 V8.  The write up that year sounds allot like this one.  

Shinny!!!! New!!!!! Improved!!! Some old, same old decade after decade. See what you young ones have to look forward too. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I think the biggest mistake is that GM isn't allowing the 6.2 in the lower model trucks or the Trailboss.  Now that Ford is putting the Raptor engine in the standard F150 I think it will help it sell even more. 

Who knows what GM will do for 2020 and beyond .

Not to mention it has been brought to my attention that these new models are locked down solid. As in nobody can tune them at all and that even to come later on you will not even be able to put a different radio in them.  That will kill the aftermarket for these in the ways of even putting on larger tires if it didn't come from the factory.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

I think the biggest mistake is that GM isn't allowing the 6.2 in the lower model trucks or the Trailboss.  Now that Ford is putting the Raptor engine in the standard F150 I think it will help it sell even more. 

Not to mention it has been brought to my attention that these new models are locked down solid. As in nobody can tune them at all and that even to come later on you will not even be able to put a different radio in them.  That will kill the aftermarket for these in the ways of even putting on larger tires if it didn't come from the factory.

but its not the standard F150. Its only the top trim model. 

2 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

That alone would be a deal breaker for me if I was in the market.

It's MY truck, I should be able to do what I damn well please to it. Can't say I'm surprised to hear that. Just another money grab by GM.

Hey GM - how about EARNING income on merit, instead of stealing it via EXTORTION?

Edited by Jsdirt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1