11 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Here’s a bit I found online but I’m sure anyone can dig up a lot more, I remember seeing it on the news a few years back.

https://jalopnik.com/carmakers-want-to-make-working-on-your-car-illegal-beca-1699132210

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is in regards to the firmware in the ecu.  If they won that lawsuit you would have the laws as what is applied to your DirectTv receiveri.  It would not stop a company from creating a new ecu with its own protected firmware. .  It has nothing to do with changing a camshaft.  It actually has zero implications to probably 90% of the vehicle owners. 

I remember now. Not sure if that John Deere case was related to this ... but a farmer purchased a $500,000 combine, and when they started having trouble, they inquired J/D about service info. J/D's response was basically, we own the software - it is ours, and you can't have it. This also touched off a lawsuit.

Seemed to be a trend during the last administration ... :sick:

Here's a more recent case:  https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/06/nebraska-farmers-right-to-repair-john-deere-apple

Obama’s administration implemented the deep spy technologies throughout the US, drones sometimes following planes, I know cause my trip from Texas to Chicago the passengers and I freaked out as to what we thought was a missile which eventually turned out to be a guided drone. Cameras everywhere especially using terrorism as a reasoning for the American people to accept it all. This is why less government is good especially the reduction of BS positions Obama started and why we all should become libertarians for the sake of America, The US Constitution. Lol

• Like 1

Washington State is exploring the idea of replacing the current gas tax for road funding with a pay-per-mile system via GPS tracking. From there it's a short trip to the government adjusting the cost of your trip to push their agenda, or dictate what trips they deem to be necessary and when they deem them necessary. With Seattle leading the charge, the DOT would much rather see people on bikes, busses or trains and not driving their own automobiles. From there, why not instant speeding tickets? Are you now a suspect of a crime because you were within a mile radius?

• Like 1

That is in regards to the firmware in the ecu.  If they won that lawsuit you would have the laws as what is applied to your DirectTv receiveri.  It would not stop a company from creating a new ecu with its own protected firmware. .  It has nothing to do with changing a camshaft.  It actually has zero implications to probably 90% of the vehicle owners. 

As I’ve stated before, there’s lot more than just the one article I easily found and copied, not just firmware, it’s about repairs and aftermarket parts too. Look it up yourself!

Washington State is exploring the idea of replacing the current gas tax for road funding with a pay-per-mile system via GPS tracking. From there it's a short trip to the government adjusting the cost of your trip to push their agenda, or dictate what trips they deem to be necessary and when they deem them necessary. With Seattle leading the charge, the DOT would much rather see people on bikes, busses or trains and not driving their own automobiles. From there, why not instant speeding tickets? Are you now a suspect of a crime because you were within a mile radius?

Absolutely correct! Less government is a good thing cause the bigger the government the bigger their expenses hence needing more BS ways to make it. Years ago, while I was in Greece, I got a ticket for speeding on a speedway cause your plate is electronically monitored and speed measured by arrival time between terminals. Thank God it’s a small government and they don’t have enough money to implement it everywhere. Same crap here, ever seen a Democrat be in charge of a healthy city?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Invasion of privacy for one thing. We’re constantly being watched whether you know it or not, Samsung got sued cause their TVs came with mics on them listening to the surroundings and Samsung claimed it was in order to give better feed back especially while you’re making Whoopi with your partner. Lexi same thing, amazon expressed same interest, all for better customer service etc etc etc! Your smart phone asks whether it’s ok to let the maker communicate with your phone in order to make better phones...why not just make a better phone and listen to reviews???? Cause programs used for spying are literally in almost every electronic device we now have. There’s no conspiracy, it’s out in the open. I just don’t want someone telling me what I can or cannot do, buy, etc... we live in The United States of America not Russia or other dictatorship run country.

Btw, I change insurance companies before anyone receiving my personal habits or whereabouts and then selling that info to third parties.

I prefer to play the odds and simply not bother worrying that today I may be the one in 35 million (I am in Canada, guess I am 10 times more lucky to be the one that gets violated.) that gets his ass monitored.  I have a 3 times better chance at winning our big Friday draw lottery.

The government is not some faceless machine.  It is comprised of regular people like everyone reading this.  That means a good number are also in fear of being monitored.  I think sometimes tv and movies are too real. 

I prefer to play the odds and simply not bother worrying that today I may be the one in 35 million (I am in Canada, guess I am 10 times more lucky to be the one that gets violated.) that gets his ass monitored.  I have a 3 times better chance at winning our big Friday draw lottery.
The government is not some faceless machine.  It is comprised of regular people like everyone reading this.  That means a good number are also in fear of being monitored.  I think sometimes tv and movies are too real. 

What I’ve stated here is not something from movies, it’s all real life. Americans are not puppets to be controlled and though there are a great many of people and countries that have been taught to not be able to think do for themselves here in America we’re not one of those. The United States of America was born and created for and by those that want to live in a place protected from tyrannical government. The people made the government and not the other way around and so it’s up to the people to have control of their own lives. God Bless The United States of America [emoji631]

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Told the wife some years ago after the bailouts; "When they can no longer find ways to earn my money they will devise ways to STEAL it legally". She thought me a nut then...not so much now.  They however I meant in a much larger context but this is a good example. Extortion it is then. These prices are twice what I paid for my 2015!!! No sir, they are NOT twice the truck. This isn't the first time this has been tried. Remember the early 70's? Locked us out of your cars....for a while.....better computer tech now. Maybe it will stick. 

...but it is twice the truck...WT is not = to LTZ, High Country, LT, RST, etc.  You want a cheap, bare bones truck, you buy and pay for a cheap, bare bones truck. 

...but it is twice the truck...WT is not = to LTZ, High Country, LT, RST, etc.  You want a cheap, bare bones truck, you buy and pay for a cheap, bare bones truck. 

His pricing is a bit exaggerated but does have a point that prices are definitely going up and with no huge discounts going into the new 19’s. What really stinks is that I was looking forward to the 2022 DMax...awwww

7 hours ago, newdude said:

Really? Do they both got from point A to point B? The extra 40K is for what? No really. For what? So you can get noticed by every other truck that looks just like yours? 30K or 70K you get the same 2 mill crap paint. The same frame and coachwork. Is a fancy computer, stereo and leather worth 40K? Ego is what your spending that cash on. Has nothing to do with transportation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2018 at 4:19 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

Everything new is the next best thing since sliced bread....until it isn't. How long does that take? Yea...like minutes.  

Case in point:

2006: The new 6-speed transmission is great!

2014: That old 6-speed was junk!  But the new 8-speed is great!!

2017: That old 8-speed was trash!  But the new 10-speed is fantastic!!!

• Like 3

On 8/15/2018 at 1:48 PM, mookdoc6 said:

Chrome would be the only thing looking good after 200k on it......just saying!

Agree, learned the hard way.  Had a 2008 with painted front bumper.  Misquite and cedar on my deer lease ate it up.  Have only bought with chrome front bumper since.

On 8/13/2018 at 4:59 PM, captain chaos said:

I'm new here and will be new to GM trucks. I currently own a 2016 Ram and wish to replace it within the next few months. I'll be getting me a new Silverado as it seems to offer more of what I want in a truck. The new Ram just doesn't do anything for me considering its rather drab styling and carryover engines (my Ram certainly hasn't been overly dependable either) It does have an awful nice interior in the higher trims though, in all honesty FCA electronics are iffy and a huge display screen does not make the truck any more functional imo.

This right here.  I had a '12 Ram 1500 pre UConnect, a '14 Ram 1500 with the 8.4" Nav, and a '16 Ram 2500 with the 5.0 Uconnect.  The '12 is the only one that work worth a damn.  The UConnect on the '14 and '16 gave me nothing but trouble.  The UConnect on the '16 was so problematic, I went through three warranty units in three months and either got defective units from Chrysler, or they did the same thing.  After a month long wait for the fourth and nothing but excuses, I said the hell with it, dumped it, and bought my current Chevy.  Best vehicle decision I've ever made.  Between the issue with my Ram, and a huge issue I had with FCA corporate with my wife's '16 Charger, I'll never own another Chrysler product ever again.

Having said all that, it's going to take some pretty extreme incentives to get me to trade my '17 for a '19.  It's nice, but lack of major improvements in the engine department have me underwhelmed.

1 hour ago, askibum02 said:

This right here.  I had a '12 Ram 1500 pre UConnect, a '14 Ram 1500 with the 8.4" Nav, and a '16 Ram 2500 with the 5.0 Uconnect.  The '12 is the only one that work worth a damn.  The UConnect on the '14 and '16 gave me nothing but trouble.  The UConnect on the '16 was so problematic, I went through three warranty units in three months and either got defective units from Chrysler, or they did the same thing.  After a month long wait for the fourth and nothing but excuses, I said the hell with it, dumped it, and bought my current Chevy.  Best vehicle decision I've ever made.  Between the issue with my Ram, and a huge issue I had with FCA corporate with my wife's '16 Charger, I'll never own another Chrysler product ever again.

Having said all that, it's going to take some pretty extreme incentives to get me to trade my '17 for a '19.  It's nice, but lack of major improvements in the engine department have me underwhelmed.

Well, there’s plenty of upside potential whenever the GM truck division gets around to it.  The 2019 supercharged Corvette 6.2L is putting out 755 hp/715 ft-lbs with more room to grow...

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:04 AM, MaverickZ71 said:

Case in point:

2006: The new 6-speed transmission is great!

2014: That old 6-speed was junk!  But the new 8-speed is great!!

2017: That old 8-speed was trash!  But the new 10-speed is fantastic!!!

6 speed works best in the HD trucks.  If only they tuned the 6L80 to drive like the 6L90...

8 speed does leave some sour taste in ones mouth...

That 10 speed is actually a really good box.  Makes the 8 speed seem pointless.