2010 oil indicator reminder, 5k miles and 60% oil life left?

2010 1500, 4.8 2wd 4 door regular Dino oil,not synthetic...

Ok guys, who believes or goes by the oil reminder that this years truck has? 

If I recall, i had right under 5000 miles on the current oil and it says 60% oil life is remaining. 

This makes no sense but I can believe anything now a days.

per the manual it says it’s a method it uses with cold starts, driving times etc... that makes the percentage up. 

I changed it anyhow as with any oil I’d rather be safe than sorry with close to 5000 miles on it. 

I know a lot of newer trucks at my work go to 7500 miles before oil change is required in the fords. 

So what should one do, go by the indicator or just change it around 5k like I normally do

Edited by BLACK DEATH

I'd go 7,500 miles.  That would be the right amount on conventional oil.  Also it would tell you if your OLM is set at that point or not.  Since I have seen them go from 40% to 5% once the odometer hit 7,500 miles. 

Most manuals say to change it every year if you don't hit the mileage.  Mine is lubed by plain old Mobil One synthetic and you can feel the difference between fresh clean oil and 5,000 mile oil.  I used to run a Jiffy Lube and conventional oil back then was dead by 5000 miles.  To each his own.

I always go by the oil change interval recommended by the computer, on all my vehicles.  I've got an '08 Cadillac, '05 Suburban, and '10 Sierra Duramax.  The Caddy uses Mobil 1 synthetic, the truck gets Chevron's oil for diesels, and the Suburban gets Chevron's 5w-30.  I haven't had any problems with any of them, and right now the Suburban has 142,000 miles.  The algorithm is interesting; I wasn't driving the Suburban much one year and the reading went from about 30% to 0% overnight when it hit the one year mark for oil change.

My thinking is that GM spent a lot of money and research developing the algorithm so it's going to be a good guide.  Plus, if it's faulty leading to a lot premature engine failure, there will be hell to pay legally.  Interesting tidbit; the woman who developed the algorithm won a prestigious engineering award for her work.