Aftermarket Brake kit

4 hours ago, Jon A said:

The GM Brembo kit is a massive, quality upgrade.  I looked on ebay and can't find them anywhere close to $1600 (partial kits and used parts was all I could find), for that they'd be a steal and I'd definitely go that way. 

Check completed listings, there were a few sets that already sold.  Keep checking back. I'll update if I see them again.  

Anyone ever use these?

Screenshot_20180820-171403_Chrome.thumb.jpg.daef1fbd6dd156cf735c2dacf76948a9.jpg

That’s a waste of money. It’s stock parts powder coated red.

Best budget brake upgrades are pads and slotted rotors. Beyond that shit gets expensive quick.

For the record, I’ve yet to see twin piston front calipers not stop a 3/4 ton 4wd diesel with 15k lbs with ease. Using 6 piston calipers on a half ton with a couple thousand extra pounds is overkill to the extreme degree. Upgrade pads, get slotted rotors, and bed them in properly. You’d be amazed at what that will do for stopping power.

2014 z71 LTZ
Volant Intake
Borla Exhaust
Diablo

1 hour ago, Centex14 said:

That’s a waste of money. It’s stock parts powder coated red.

Best budget brake upgrades are pads and slotted rotors. Beyond that shit gets expensive quick.

For the record, I’ve yet to see twin piston front calipers not stop a 3/4 ton 4wd diesel with 15k lbs with ease. Using 6 piston calipers on a half ton with a couple thousand extra pounds is overkill to the extreme degree. Upgrade pads, get slotted rotors, and bed them in properly. You’d be amazed at what that will do for stopping power.

2014 z71 LTZ
Volant Intake
Borla Exhaust
Diablo

I will say there is some truth to this post. My last truck was a 2003 Avalanche, I had 33" Nitto's, a semi built 6.0l. It would move pretty damn good for the size and weight. It wasn't a race truck, I didn't want that. No lift on it either. I did use a complete set of power stop pads and rotors all the way around. I did take my time and seat the pads according to their instructions. Better, yes, what I wanted completely, no, but there was a noticeably big difference.

One thing to remember is that I carry a recovery box in the bed everyday that has tow straps, my race trailer hitch, come-along, recovery chains, a couple pieces of wood, and supplies to start a fire. Yes, I was stranded deep in the woods years ago, that's all it took for me, I said never again, and so I prepared. Now, when I head to the woods, I have my son's KTM motorcycle on the front hitch, my 570 Polaris in the bed, plus all of our gear. So, I want brakes that will stop me when needed on the highway. No, I do not drive 100mph, on the highway, but at speed, I need to stop all this extra weight as needed. Another reason is when I have my race trailer for my car the hitch, that's about 7,000 lbs extra that needs to stop, without wearing out my trailer tires, or brakes.

Yep, I could drive slower than posted speed, but, I do not see a reason why. I have the power to do it, suspension has already been taken care of, last thing in the stopping.

• 2 weeks later...

I am considering the following for now, however, I do want all four corners covered, not just the fronts. Your needs may be different, that's ok...

https://www.carid.com/2017-chevy-silverado-1500-brakes/?filter=1&manufacturers[]=PowerStop

https://www.carid.com/ebc-brakes/stage-3-truck-and-suv-dimpled-and-slotted-front-brake-kit-mpn-s3kf1278.html

I have Wilwoods on all 4 corners. 14.25 inch slotted rotors. Also added stainless brake lines and high performance brake fluid (both recommended). Running 20 inch wheels that meet stock specs. See the end of my build thread for pics.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk. My build thread: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?/topic/192614-Tenscourts'-2016-LTZ/Z71-CCSB-4WD-Silverado

Not really in depth. Just some pics. If you have a specific question let me know.

Seen the build thread, I must have missed it, if it goes into depth about the Willwood set up. I see that you mention it though.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk. My build thread: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?/topic/192614-Tenscourts'-2016-LTZ/Z71-CCSB-4WD-Silverado

Rotors are 14.25

Just the usual questions, rotor sizes, how many piston, and modifications needed, part number, etc...
Wilwood's site let's you put in the vehicle and it shows what they offer. I got the 14.25 slotted rotors front and rear. Drilled rotors don't offer any performance enhancement and they cost more. Even Wilwood will tell you that. That's 6 piston in front and I believe 4 in the back. They are direct bolt on although my BDS front knuckles had to be ground slightly for the mounting bracket to fit. Kits don't include brake lines which were extra and I needed 18 inch lines in the rear to account for the lift. Front and rear kits cost me $2250 each for a total of $4500. Labor was $600 so $5100 not including brake lines or fluid. I put around 15k in my upgrades counting wheels and tires, line-x'd steps, Borla exhaust, BDS lift, brakes, and flares but I paid off the truck in April and I plan to keep it forever.

Good grief. $5100 in brakes?!?!?!? That thing better lift the back tires off the ground when you stand on the brakes with a 10k pound trailer attached.

2014 z71 LTZ
Volant Intake
Borla Exhaust
Diablo
Bilstein 5100
Rough Country Level
Yes I realize it's a lot of money. But the day I picked her up a car stopped short in front of me on the way home and the instant I hit the breaks I was stopped. Between the brakes and the fox coilovers she stopped dead without a hint of nose dive. Definitely overkill but it makes me happy!

I should also mention I'm at 6600lbs with just myself and a full tank of gas. That only leaves 600lbs before I hit my gvwr and a cab full of passengers will hit that in no time. I fully expect with the brakes and upgraded suspension I can handle more than 7200lbs but the point is I'm not rolling light and the factory brakes seemed to fade quickly.

Good grief. $5100 in brakes?!?!?!? That thing better lift the back tires off the ground when you stand on the brakes with a 10k pound trailer attached.

2014 z71 LTZ
Volant Intake
Borla Exhaust
Diablo
Bilstein 5100
Rough Country Level

Now that is very good information, thank you. Don't forget, the tires are what actually stop you. I learned that long ago when I first started working in the vehicle development world. It took a little bit to sink in and accept, but, once it does, it makes perfect sense. Thank you for the info.

Between the drag, and auto cross world, I know quite a few of my buddies who use Willwood. I've even installed a couple kits for some of them. At this point, I'm not yet ready to spend that kind of money for my breaks, hopefully I won't need to either, lol. But, if that day comes, I will know in advance with what you have provided.

My experience with my 14 Crew, standard bed, topper, and gun drawers, 12.50x33x18 tires was that it didn't panic stop well even with extreme pedal pressure.  I live in L.A.  I drive the busiest freeway in the country to and from work.  Panic stops are a part of driving here. It just happens.   As soon as I put big tires on the truck and the topper and other things, I noted that it took all I could muster in pedal pressure and it didn't feel like it was stopping well.  I bought the six piston Wilwoods in 14.25" since I wanted to keep the 18" wheels for their larger tire sidewall for off-roading.    I don't think bigger brakes are extreme overkill, especially with bigger tires.    If I were running 20" wheels I'd have gone with 16" rotors. 

Those OEM Brembos in 16" are a smoking deal IMO, if you can use them.  They weren't offered when I did my conversion.  I'd take Brembo over Wilwood for similar money.  But Wilwood has a good reputation and is prevalent in racing, they're nearby, and they're reasonably priced. I have about 60,000 miles on my Wilwoods and never had a problem.  I recently replaced the pads.  They are dirty compared to OEM brakes, but so is my SS Camaro with Brembos. 

I actually gave some thought to machining brackets and rotor hats to adapt 2500/3500 front brakes to my truck.  The $2k for the Wilwoods was easier for me to do.  If I had more time and less money, I'd probably have done it.