Disappointed with 2019

1 hour ago, Snuff said:

After 382 miles I LOVE my truck.

Lol, I have 389 miles and I love mine too!

Seriously though, the more I look at the difference between the 19 and 18, I'm really glad I waited.

When ya really look at the 2, the 19 makes the 18 look like it was made ages ago imo. 

This new Silverado is flat out awesome imo. 

Just hands down a nicer truck. 

I do wish however, Chevy would offer an optional 38 gallon gas tank like Toyota does. It would cost a mint to fill it up lol, but man, would you have the range.....

Edited by MacLaren
  • Like 2

After 382 miles I LOVE my truck.
I noticed on another thread you mentioned that your 5.3 with the 8 speed felt just as fast as the 6.2 in the 14-18s and faster than the 5.3 in the 14-18s. Do you still feel that way? My 17 with the 5.3 & 6spd with 3.42 gears feels slowwww. And it's tuned. I took a 2019 5.3 RST with the 8 speed as a service loaner and thought it had the 6.2 until I popped the hood. I thought it was just my imagination. Maybe these new trucks are just faster [emoji1745]

Lol, I have 389 miles and I love mine too!
Seriously though, the more I look at the difference between the 19 and 18, I'm really glad I waited.
When ya really look at the 2, the 19 makes the 18 look like it was made ages ago imo. 
This new Silverado is flat out awesome imo. 
Just hands down a nicer truck. 
I do wish however, Chevy would offer an optional 38 gallon gas tank like Toyota does. It would cost a mint to fill it up lol, but man, would you have the range.....
Man I know, even Ford has the 36 gallon tank with the F150. 26 isn't big enough.

Yeah it's annoying that GM expects 24 gallon fuel tanks to be sufficient for everyone's needs. It's not. Especially for anyone towing a trailer. Ford's standard tank is 24 gallons but they at least offer the option of a larger fuel tank.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GM Canadian Guy said:

I noticed on another thread you mentioned that your 5.3 with the 8 speed felt just as fast as the 6.2 in the 14-18s and faster than the 5.3 in the 14-18s. Do you still feel that way? My 17 with the 5.3 & 6spd with 3.42 gears feels slowwww. And it's tuned. I took a 2019 5.3 RST with the 8 speed as a service loaner and thought it had the 6.2 until I popped the hood. I thought it was just my imagination. Maybe these new trucks are just faster emoji1745.png

If you get a chance try to drive both and feel the difference. For my driving habits and budget I felt the 5.3 with 8 speed was plenty quick and strong enough. I even drove an F150 5.0 with 10 speed but it did not excite me. I think the 2019 us very nice and some great pricing available. I really like the “standard bed”.

Yeah it's annoying that GM expects 24 gallon fuel tanks to be sufficient for everyone's needs. It's not. Especially for anyone towing a trailer. Ford's standard tank is 24 gallons but they at least offer the option of a larger fuel tank.
Have you looked underneath the 19's? Plenty of room to fit a larger aftermarket fuel tank. Easily 40 gallons, why GM doesn't give us the option is beyond me. Still even with these trucks shortcomings I'd still buy a new GM over the other two.

A little off topic but I've driven all of the big three and even though there's still things that piss me off with these new trucks they're better IMO than the Ford/Ram equivalents. Rams don't even look like trucks anymore, they look like SUVs with boxes. Ford's drive like pigs and need new rotors every 30k. My dad had a 15 F150 and I swear the brakes were done after 30k, huge pulsating, and really mushy. These FNC Duralife rotors are an amazing invention. My rotors still have no rust after 45k driving in the great white north with all our snow and that salt brine solution they spray on city streets.

4 minutes ago, GM Canadian Guy said:

Have you looked underneath the 19's? Plenty of room to fit a larger aftermarket fuel tank. Easily 40 gallons, why GM doesn't give us the option is beyond me. Still even with these trucks shortcomings I'd still buy a new GM over the other two.

A little off topic but I've driven all of the big three and even though there's still things that piss me off with these new trucks they're better IMO than the Ford/Ram equivalents. Rams don't even look like trucks anymore, they look like SUVs with boxes. Ford's drive like pigs and need new rotors every 30k. My dad had a 15 F150 and I swear the brakes were done after 30k, huge pulsating, and really mushy. These FNC Duralife rotors are an amazing invention. My rotors still have no rust after 45k driving in the great white north with all our snow and that salt brine solution they spray on city streets.

Yeah the Duralife rotors are pretty awesome quality-wise. Waaaay better than the older brake parts GM used in back in the day. My 2014's rotors were still mostly rust free around the hub after 5 years driving in the rust belt. 

It seems to be pretty common with Ford truck to have brake caliper and rotor problems. I don't know what the deal is but I know quite a few guys with Ford trucks that constantly have problems with calipers sticking to the point that they drag on the rotors and ruin all the parts. One guy has changed every caliper on his F-250 twice in the last 5 years. Pins looked good, clips were clean enough to not cause a problem, all the brake hoses replaced, etc. The calipers just seize up. Their F-150 brake system is a mixed bag. The Ecoboost engines use a vacuum pump that nearly identical to the vac pump on the 2014-18 trucks, but instead of being easy to access from the front of the engine, Ford placed their vacuum pump on the rear of one of the cylinder heads. The pumps fail as often as the GM pumps do, but it's a lot more work to get at it and replace it. Ford has also had issues with the master cylinder. For some reason they switched from a Bosch master cylinder to a Hitachi master cylinder in 2013. The Hitachi design uses a single cup piston seal instead of a more traditional two cup seal design. It gives the brakes a spongy feel and they have a known issue with seals coming unseated and the result leak causing a complete loss of brakes. The pedal goes to the floor and the truck doesn't stop or slow down. There's a big ongoing lawsuit over it right now because the master cylinder has been an issue for years and the Ford continues to use the Hitachi part.

58 minutes ago, GM Canadian Guy said:

I noticed on another thread you mentioned that your 5.3 with the 8 speed felt just as fast as the 6.2 in the 14-18s and faster than the 5.3 in the 14-18s. Do you still feel that way? My 17 with the 5.3 & 6spd with 3.42 gears feels slowwww. And it's tuned. I took a 2019 5.3 RST with the 8 speed as a service loaner and thought it had the 6.2 until I popped the hood. I thought it was just my imagination. Maybe these new trucks are just faster emoji1745.png

The tuning is world’s better on the 19s. I noticed too in the same circumstance. My 2016 was in the shop and had a 19 loaner. The K2 trucks just feel so lazy in comparison. I’m not sure how much faster the 19s actually are but they sure feel faster.

• Like 1

Dude, my 19 5.3 8 speed will flat out get it lol...

I love it.

And, moreso I love how it shifts thru the gears so seamlessly.  It's so very responsive!

You dont have to get on it at all really to be clickin on down the road if ya know what I mean. But, when you do, she'll raise hell.

Hope that makes sense. 

Really, these Silverados have always been the best allround trucks imo

My 07 Classic drives extremely well for 270k miles imo. The Silverado imo, just has a history of very comfy, plenty of power and good reliability. 

Edited by MacLaren
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

The tuning is world’s better on the 19s. I noticed too in the same circumstance. My 2016 was in the shop and had a 19 loaner. The K2 trucks just feel so lazy in comparison. I’m not sure how much faster the 19s actually are but they sure feel faster.

That's the best way to describe the the k2's, sluggish, lazy, unresponsive. You tend to drive to match the personality of your vehicle, I haven't had a speeding ticket since I got my 2017. I'm in my 20's but I drive like a pensioner in my truck, albeit less so now that I have the diablo sport canned 87 tune on my truck with the firm shift profile for the transmission. Truck woke up a lot from that but still doesn't feel nearly as quick on its feet as the 19s. One of these days I want to do long tubes headers, L86 intake manifold, L86 TB and a custom tune from Diablew; that should wake it up a lot more and from what I read you end up using less gas because there's less overall restriction in the exhaust and intake.

2 hours ago, Canadian GM Guy said:

I'd agree with the 19s feeling stronger 5.3 8 speed vs my 5.3 6 speed.  I liked the tuning more. Looking to get a tube on my 18, unfortunately you can't tune the 19s yet, if ever. 

I put about 100 miles on my loaner. I never thought it had a 6.2 though, it had more get up than mine but still felt a tad soft. A lot of trans clunks in the 19 too.  I think the 10 speed will be a significant improvement on the 19s.  My 18 feels smoother.

Edited by Yondu

On 15/07/2019 at 3:51 PM, killramos said:

Well seems as good a place for any for a first post from Alberta, Canada...

Getting real close to pulling the trigger on a new 2019 AT4 and just wondering what some of the more knowledgeable folk on here think of the truck. Going for a pretty well loaded model, with the off road performance pack etc. 

This has been a great thread so far. Anything I should really be looking out for?

Kind-of stumbled into a truck purchase despite never really being a truck guy. Got a JK wrangler right now for my utility/winter vehicle and feeling like a need a bit more space with a new dog and closing on a lake cottage next week. Was originally thinking about a gladiator ( I know I know...) but I can get into a loaded AT4 that can actually do truck things for less money so here I am.

Down the line being able to launch a boat would be nice but for now it’s mostly going to be carting furniture from the city to the cottage as well as basic landscaping etc. so I’m definitely buying more truck than I need but can’t say no to some of these incentives...

cheers guys!

I'm also in Alberta and have only seen one AT4 so far. LT TB, RST and Denali seem to be popular personal trucks and SLE and Elevation for work (at my site, anyway).

I know the TB has monotube Ranchos, which guys on here have said are better than the twin tubes that are in, for example, the RST Z71. I assume it would be similar on the GM side with the AT4 vs other trims.