Gnavarre

5.3L afm delete advice with a light lifter tick

I’m looking for a little direction. I bought a 2011 1500 off my dad who was the original owner. The truck has about 60,000 miles on it and hasn’t been abused. The engine is stock and it’s really just started making noise within the last 5,000 miles. It’s more prevalent when the engine is cold, but was a quart low when I went in for my last oil change (still had 40% oil life left).  Should I leg it out as it sits now? Invest in a programmer bypass or shell out the coin for a delete kit? 

Edited by Gnavarre
spelling error

If it's already ticking, a "programmer bypass", Range AFM Disabler, etc will not fix it.  The damage has already started.  Best bet, especially if you plan on keeping the truck any length of time, is to install the AFM delete kit

Here is what I would do: 

Clean the oil screen that is below the oil pressure sender. 

Change the oil and filter (replacing 1 or 2 quarts of oil with 1 or 2 quarts of transmission fluid)

Run the engine for a bit and see if the lifter frees up. Maybe try driving it a bit, and do some compression braking. 

If the lifter frees up, replace the engine oil. 

If the lifter does not free up, maybe add another oil additive, run for a bit, and then change the oil.

You can also cut open the old oil filter to see what color metal shaving are in it. 

The transmission fluid has a very high detergent content, and often frees up lifters. 

If my engine had that issue, and I could not free up the lifter with additives - I would just replace the engine myself with a used unit. 

Thank you. I’ll probably give this a roll and see where it takes me.  It’s a shame that such a low mileage engine is already having problems; especially being so well maintained. 

• Like 1

What are the thoughts on going with the AFM Disabler if the lifter frees up?  Also, I have a 2016 Yukon with the 6.2 that shuts down to 4, should I consider the Disabler on this?

A  lifter tick doesn't necessarily mean anything is broken or failing or due to fail.  Of course, that depends on what one means by "tick".  Around the spring of 2011, GM updated the AFM system with improved parts, a cover for the oil return in the oil pan to reduce spray, a revised rocker cover that keeps more oil out of the PCV system and of course a new VLOM and much improved De-Ac lifters.  

If I were you, I'd hook up my Tech2 (every man with one of these trucks ought to own one) and drive it looking for misfires and to make sure the AFM components are working right without error.

A BlackBear tune or Range device will of course disable AFM but the lifters are still in there and can fail.  So can the non-AFM lifters.  Lately, I've noticed almost as many regular lifters failing as AFM lifters and that is to say, it's not as often as years past.  The tune of course will provide benefits in other ways such as improved transmission performance and usually even better fuel economy than when AFM was active.

Edited by swathdiver
grammar
  • Like 1

Appreciate the feedback.  I’ll try and get a video in the next day or two on a cold start to help to get some better better info for the feedback.  Like I said, it’s only got 60k on it, my dad is in his 60s and I’ve only towed on it “semi” gingerly for a year. 

• Like 1

Did you take a breaker bar or something to use as a stethoscope and isolate the sound?

I have not...just always associated a tick like that with lifters. 

Hi

I have a 2007 Yukon that only starts ticking when I am parked at idle for 5 to 10 min,,,starts then gets loud. Once I rev the engine or start driving it disappears....Had the whole top of motor redone 3 yrs ago by a dealer.....Broke now and wondering if maybe have someone shut off the afm could possibly stop it being it only happens when I am idling

Posted (edited)

Easiest/cheapest way to disable AFM is via a Range V8 device.  Plugs into your OBD2 port under the dash, and is easily removable for dealer service visits.  

I see where some have told you the damage is already done.  I'd urge you to disable AFM as soon as possible anyway, on all of your vehicles.  My GM dealer's Service Manager says there are 2 kinds of GM AFM vehicles: 1) those that already have AFM problems, and 2) those that will have AFM problems.  

You may want to run some AutoRx, Marvel Mystery Oil, or Seafoam in your oil to see if that frees up the stuck AFM lifter, rather than the old-school transmission-fluid-in-the-oil trick.  

After that, be sure to use Dexos-rated (GM rating) synthetic oil and change it at the OLM-indicated intervals or sooner, and to use a quality oil filter, but not one that is too restrictive.  I'm using the new Shell Gas Truck oil now (contains a modified additive pack from their diesel oil) [available at WalMart and Autozone] and a Wix 57060 oil filter.  The Shell Gas Truck oil seems to help the AFM problems in my engine (lifter ticking/piston slapping and oil usage) by freeing up stuck AFM lifter(s) and piston oil rings.  

Some on here have had success in helping their AFM problems by running a catch can in their PCV system, also.  

Due to $ concerns, I'm running mine as described above until if and when it blows up.  It makes engine noise at startup, but I have most of the oil usage problem solved.  Then I'll have the engine rebuilt with an AFM delete kit from Texas Speed or another such company.  

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 1

Techron is the industry standard for detergent additives and is sold to many oil companies who rebrand it in name and volume.

The catchcan is a device used to control the effects of high blowbye gases (stuck rings). It'll have minimal impact on the afm lifters as the oil must being pushed through the cam would have normally just been burned off.

The ATF shade mechanic method was used as ATF has high dispersant levels (acts like detergent) long before detergents were added to oil. The current best thoughts are mixtures of ATF with mystery, seafoam, b12 etc. The cleaners break down the buildup and atf helps to flush it away allowing oil to replace.

If you have pending AFM problems, you might buy some time with a oil additives and good filter/change frequency. But if the lifter/cylinder is no longer at spec, you are due sooner or later.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Siik_two High Country
      Alright guys I acquired some new parts today for the High Country, picked up a Howard's Cams american muscle cam, and dod delete kit, I need to know everything there is to know before I start this project,  tips, tricks, videos, will I need new pushrods, new oil pump, anything other than what came with the kit, etc. Thanks 
    • By Dexter10
      Have 2 Range devices that work perfectly and have new software. Mint condition and box included.  Will work for all GM 5.3s. 

Only one in pic cause they are the same except one is red led and the other blue. 

$125 shipped each or $225 for the pair

• By flatnem
      I have a very slightly used Range Technology AFM disabler. Keeps your truck locked in V8 (or V6)mode and simply plugs into the OBD port and can be unplugged as needed. Worked perfectly and never caused a fault. Used it for less than 2 months and have sold the truck. My understanding is it works with any GM vehicle that has AFM. Paid $200, asking $140.

• By aldaron327
      My 2009 Silverado build started out of anger and desperation. My 5.3L LC9 was suffering from oil consumption issues and the dreaded "lifter clack" that so many of us have suffered through. My cam was replaced once under warranty because a lifter failed and fell apart, scoring one of the lobes and my lifters were replaced twice; once with the cam and then a second time because the dealer maintenance dept. installed the wrong lifters... I brought the truck in several times but the oil consumption amount wasn't quite to the point where they would replace the engine. Fast forward several thousand miles and I finally crossed the 100,000 mile mark. The truck was past the warranty limit and the dealership THEN decided that they would be willing to help me out (out of my pocket, of course). I inquired about them installing a different cam and supporting parts to eliminate the AFM and they quoted me almost 2000.00 in LABOR alone. So, I decided to try my hand at doing a cam swap. What's the worst that could happen, right?!

First, I sat down and went through all the parts that I would need to swap to support the AFM delete. Cam, obviously... Lifters, Valley Cover, Valve Springs to support the new cam. In question was whether I needed a new timing cover, oil pump, etc. I decided to go ahead and replace/upgrade it as well. Part of the frustration was the fact that I bought a project car and had planned on building it into an LS powered sleeper, so I had already started buying parts to build it. More on that some other time, but suffice to say, some of THOSE parts ended up in the Silverado.

I decided to go with a pretty mild cam (GM LS Hot Cam), Pace Setter coated long tube headers, Y Pipe, CNC machined 799 heads with LS6 valve springs from Scoggin-Dickey, a Melling high-volume stock pressure oil pump, Trick Flow push rods (stock height) DUI Sultans of Spark coils, and Taylor Thundervolt 10mm wires, LS2 Dampner, LS2 Valley Cover... I know I'm probably forgetting something...

Step 1: Buy a tech manual. I picked up a Haynes manual at Autozone and I bring this up because the pics and the descriptions were so-so. I also had to consult the internet to get at some of the stuff (oil pickup tube to oil pump bolt for example).

Step 1.5: Dis-assembly. I started pulling parts based on internet testimonial and common sense mechanical intuition.

The Offending AFM parts are out. (Yes, I'm skipping some stuff).

The bolt attaching the pickup tube to the oil pump is a real bitch to get out. I had to lower the pan by loosening the bolts which was made even more fun by the front axle and diff (4WD).

The gear/pulley puller was an el cheapo that I got from my Grandpa who got it to pull off a pulley on a mower deck I think it was a Harbor Freight special. I damn near snapped it in half pulling off the crank pulley.

Step 2: Clean up the mess... The tech at the Chevy dealer that did my last lifter replacement apparently was getting sponsored by Permatex because there was enough RTV on the block and head mating surfaces to caulk a boat. In his defense, I had no leaks. I got the mating surfaces and the intake cleaned up of the oily goop and RTV.

Step 3: Start putting parts in!

Rockers lifters and LS "Hot Cam" soaking in some break in oil. Not really necessary, but I read conflicting info so I decided to do it.

Cam and oil pump installed. I read that the 3-bolt style is the way to go. Incidentally, I think the Hot Cam only comes as a 3 bolt.

Heads with Harland Sharpe 1.7 Rocker Arms. I heard good and bad things about them but I'm here to tell you that they are AWESOME. As it happens, they are taller than the stock rockers, so you'll have to get some different valve covers or some spacers. Pro Form makes some good, decently priced valve covers. UMI Performance makes some 1/2" billet spacers that I got off eBay. I didn't have a ton of luck with them, so I switched to the Pro Form valve covers. You have to order the coil pack mounts separately, so be sure to get the LS3 style mounts or you'll be sad.... guess who ordered the wrong ones....

I sprayed my stock valve covers with some Duplicolor crinkle paint in flat black. They look shiny because they aren't dry yet. On the first start, I realized VERY Quickly that they weren't tall enough. That's ALSO when I found out just how tough the Harland Sharpe Roller Rockers are. They took a beating but kept working.

Step 3: Close her up and refill all the fluids. I don't have pics for that, but I did flush the radiator. I filled the radiator after buttoning everything up and wouldn't you know it... on the second gallon of coolant (at 11:30PM the night before I had to leave at 2:30 to catch a very early flight), I started to hear the sound of running water.... running coolant, actually. Turns out that the back steam ports on the Scoggin-Dickey heads were not blocked off like my factory heads. A set of Trick-Flow port blocks later and it was no longer leaking coolant.

Step 4: Clean everything up, AGAIN.... Attempt to start engine. First time go! I had video of the first start up and the first dyno tuning session but then I had to get a new phone so I lost the old stuff.

After the dyno tune, the truck put down 366 horses to the rear wheels. I wasn't looking for a huge jump, so I was pretty happy. Everything ran OK for a few weeks, but I screwed it up. I decided to get a PCV catch can and despite all the research I did, I still mis-routed the hoses. WARNING: if you mis-route the hoses, you will cause some serious additional issues. I started throwing all kinds of codes including P0300 and P0106, P0141... it was like the truck was going haywire. This was due to some issues with the tune and the fact that I had a self-induced vacuum and oil leak. I embarked on a journey of sensor chasing that finally got under control after I took it to a professional. Hoses rerouted, a re-tune (the original tune was apparently too agressive without getting into a couple of the tables that SHOULD HAVE been addressed. It was a learning experience. The new tune is driveable but hasn't been optimized yet. I ran out of time that I could be without my truck, so the guy I took it to got it in decent enough shape that it wasn't surging or throwing Traction Control and Stabilitrak failures. I'm going to take it back when I get back off the road and have some more tuning done. I'm also going to swap my Magnaflow muffler for a 50 series flowmaster because the drone with the magnaflow is deafening through Long Tubes. I'm also looking for a new torque converter with just a little higher stall than stock. Anyone with some good advice feel free to chime in.

-Tim