Rebels Come Calling ( Who is not running 0W-20 Oil ? )

Maybe it has been heavily debated in one of these forum topics.

I want to know who out there is breaking from the "recommended" 0w-20 viscosity oils in their 5.3 or 6.2

Anyone running 5w-20, 5w-30, or 0w-30 ?

If so, any notice in performance, major MPG loss.

Upside of having an engine that no longer sounds like a sewing machine or has blanketed the sewing machine sound?

Just looking for info and not scientific breakdown explanation of how viscosity works.

I am a GM guy. But noticed since 2014 they started with this 0/w20 in the trucks? I took my 2014 and 2015 in for my free oil changes here in Florida and noticed the part# was for 5w30? Service guy said thats all we run in them it's too hot here and it's dexos don't worry. Then I learned they do it for fuel mileage not protection. As stated above other models with same motor run 5w30, and in the vette they recommend even thicker for track use.....same motor. My 2017 has had 5w30 Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic (whichever is on sale) since it's first oil change. Definetly runs quieter not so ticky. I have not lost 1 mpg. My last oil analysis came up perfect. If someone lived up north with zero degree startups I could understand running 0w20. But not otherwise. 

• Like 1

I Don't understand why Any one would not just use whats Recommended  ? Engines Are not the same Today as yesterdays small block 350s , 318s  302boss motors , Back then 100,000 miles on a motor was considered lucky and god forbid even think about buying anything with over 60,000 miles they were done !, now 100,000 mile cars and trucks are still getting the money  ,

Why fight it ?  I am thinking it has to do with the AFM , less lightly to gum a lifter up , the way oil Viscosity was explained to me  is 0w is cold start up flows great and as it gets hotter the oil unwinds and thickens to a SAE 20 oil Will SAE 30 (thicker when hot ) be better?

I think 5 or 0 at start up is not the problem,,.. its would you want SAE 20 or SAE 30 running thru these small oil channels that lubricate lifters  , the cam and crank shaft don't care but its the small things that need constant oil That  they add for the AFM , Again this is only an opinion ! and probably make no difference in longevity so I will run with whats recommended 0w/20 , definitely synthetic though 

Any body remember Slick 50 when it was a thing ? they would have a motor run with no oil in it , first synthetic oil

• Like 1

I Don't understand why Any one would not just use whats Recommended  ? Engines Are not the same Today as yesterdays small block 350s , 318s  302boss motors , Back then 100,000 miles on a motor was considered lucky and god forbid even think about buying anything with over 60,000 miles they were done !, now 100,000 mile cars and trucks are still getting the money  ,
  Why fight it ?  I am thinking it has to do with the AFM , less lightly to gum a lifter up , the way oil Viscosity was explained to me  is 0w is cold start up flows great and as it gets hotter the oil unwinds and thickens to a SAE 20 oil Will SAE 30 (thicker when hot ) be better?
    I think 5 or 0 at start up is not the problem,,.. its would you want SAE 20 or SAE 30 running thru these small oil channels that lubricate lifters  , the cam and crank shaft don't care but its the small things that need constant oil That  they add for the AFM , Again this is only an opinion ! and probably make no difference in longevity so I will run with whats recommended 0w/20 , definitely synthetic though 
Any body remember Slick 50 when it was a thing ? they would have a motor run with no oil in it , first synthetic oil

Well in Southwest Texas heat I’m running 15w-40 winters 10w-30. If people read the owners manuals it says may running heavier oil in warmer climates. 0w-anything is for up north and gas miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow 15w-40 ! Thats Rebel , But The engine cooling system kinda keeps the engine under 230 Degrees whether its

110 degrees out  or  -110 degrees after full warm up , I mean I'm tempted to run 10w30  in summer but I did not see anything in any manual about 15w40 for a gasser  , I will look at that when my warranty is over ,though never heard anyone checking viscosity on a warranty for an engine failure 

But I guess oil is oil ,its getting oil and  thats all that matters ! 

It was also explained here that they sell a lot more pickup trucks and Yukon Xl/Suburbans than Corvettes and Camaros. When saving 1/2 mpg on 300,000 trucks compared to 50,000 Camaros that helps with their  CAFE standard as a company. The Corvette has AFM and guys at the track run 15w50 with no issues. It is also recommended to be removed after track use. Why?...Cold start up and the time it takes to get to operating temperature, so not recommended for a quick start and go as most people do. I had one of the first AFm's in the 2007 Sierra. I did 5000 mile oil changes with Mobil 1 full synthetic and a Wix Gold Filter since new. Had the truck for 7 years and many many miles! Never had one issue with the motor. I have read of many guys having AFM issues later in that motor. Not me. Most people do not change or use a good oil and filter as they should. So alot of recommendations are made around peoples habits and shortcomings and them covering your warranty on the truck. I am actually considering 0w40 Mobile 1 as the 5w30 is like water when hot last I changed it. Oil pressure is also barely 30 psi w/ 5w30 here in the heat. I think a very good filter and synthetic oil is more important and picking your viscosity based on start up and driving temps outside. I'm in south Florida and my start up is mostly over 80 degrees and daily temps 90-98 in summer and I am idling at the school for 45 minutes too. 0w20 is not even an option. But I also plan on keeping my truck.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Artie61 said:

Wow 15w-40 ! Thats Rebel , But The engine cooling system kinda keeps the engine under 230 Degrees whether its

110 degrees out  or  -110 degrees after full warm up , I mean I'm tempted to run 10w30  in summer but I did not see anything in any manual about 15w40 for a gasser  , I will look at that when my warranty is over ,though never heard anyone checking viscosity on a warranty for an engine failure 

But I guess oil is oil ,its getting oil and  thats all that matters ! 

Your in NY,  you can't do that. I am originally from Staten Island, NY and remember plenty of 10 below zero mornings. I would be running 0w20 or 0w30 up there.

3 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

I ran Mobil1 5w30 and wix filter in my 05 Avalanche.

Had 172,000 miles on it when i sold it and it was still running strong.

Treated as you did, that LS motor will do 350K! I have several friends over 275K .The LS motor is just an awesome motor. I am curious how this LT motor will stack up in time against the LS known longevity. I have an LS1, and LS2, and an LS7 still in my household and love them. This LT 6.2 is a beast, happy so far. 

35 minutes ago, seamus2154 said:

Your in NY,  you can't do that. I am originally from Staten Island, NY and remember plenty of 10 below zero mornings. I would be running 0w20 or 0w30 up there.

Yea 5w30 would be the most I would go but so far 0w20  makes sense, if only for the afm , I will use what is recommended for my climate

1 hour ago, Sierra Dan said:

I ran Mobil1 5w30 and wix filter in my 05 Avalanche.

Had 172,000 miles on it when i sold it and it was still running strong.

I also have a 2011 Camry 4 Cyl. Toyota recommended regular 0w-20, but I couldn’t get one, so I used 0w-20 synthetic oil instead, but engine made louder noise, and synthetic oil is more expensive, so subsequently I used 5w-30 regular from Costco. Surprisingly, it ran quieter and increased in horsepower. I have been using 5w-30 for about 4 years since. No issue so far. My 2014 Silverado is still using 0w-20 synthetic oil. I might add a little bit of half quart or one quart of regular oil 5w-30 to 0-20w synthetic oil. I believe GM design 2014-2018 engine and transmission to last 500k miles average and minimum 300k miles and maximum 1M miles. It depends on us to reach the maximum without getting bored or unfaithful to GM.