Spend my money on Lift Kits, Fox Coil Overs? OR BDS

I got it done.  6" BDS Fox DSC lift set to 5" in the front.  New rear leafs without the factory block, net lift about 4.5" there.  Plenty of clearance for Michelin 35x12.50x20 tires.  This was the first set of these in this big of a size my local Discount Tire had ever sold.  I don't need the aggressive look as much as i want the super quiet ride.  If they let me down offroad i suppose i will get something more aggressive.  Clearance on the stock 20s and the upper arm is about a centimeter or so.   Its a very normal look, exactly what i like.  That "I'VE CUSTOMIZED MY TRUCK" look isn't me.

BDS coilover lift 5.jpg

Edited by dareo
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 9/27/2018 at 7:17 PM, dareo said:

I got it done.  6" BDS Fox DSC lift set to 5" in the front.  New rear leafs without the factory block, net lift about 4.5" there.  Plenty of clearance for Michelin 35x12.50x20 tires.  This was the first set of these in this big of a size my local Discount Tire had ever sold.  I don't need the aggressive look as much as i want the super quiet ride.  If they let me down offroad i suppose i will get something more aggressive.  Clearance on the stock 20s and the upper arm is about a centimeter or so.   Its a very normal look, exactly what i like.  That "I'VE CUSTOMIZED MY TRUCK" look isn't me.

BDS coilover lift 5.jpg

Clean truck. Did you end up liking the ride? I know this is an old post but I was hoping to hear some feedback as I have the same dilemma. 

On 3/28/2022 at 1:51 AM, JT17 said:

Clean truck. Did you end up liking the ride? I know this is an old post but I was hoping to hear some feedback as I have the same dilemma. 

Bump!  I'm interested in the same as I have a '16 LTZ on 2.5" King Ext coilovers and am flirting with going with a 4" or 6" BDS lift as recommended by the guru's at Filthy Motorsports.

I started out with the intent of getting just enough lift to clear 35's so I went with the King 25001-148-A EXT TRAVEL in the front and the King 25001-154-A in the rear.  I also pulled the factory rear block and added a set of Deaver J1 (mini packs) under the stock leafs (minus the overload leaf).  With the front preload set to nearly soft as it will go (1/4" coil nut threads showing), the front lifted about 2" and the deavers add another 2" to the rear and I retained about 1.5" of rake.  Like yourself, I like my truck not squatting when I throw a few gallons of milk in the back 😉  

How does it ride and handle?  Do you like the Fox's and did you go with the ones that come with the BDS kit or procure them separately?

I'm trying to figure out if I can re-use my current Kings with the BDS kits but can't get ahold of anyone to ask.

Edited by dp454so

On 3/29/2022 at 4:40 PM, dp454so said:

Bump!  I'm interested in the same as I have a '16 LTZ on 2.5" King Ext coilovers and am flirting with going with a 4" or 6" BDS lift as recommended by the guru's at Filthy Motorsports.

I started out with the intent of getting just enough lift to clear 35's so I went with the King 25001-148-A EXT TRAVEL in the front and the King 25001-154-A in the rear.  I also pulled the factory rear block and added a set of Deaver J1 (mini packs) under the stock leafs (minus the overload leaf).  With the front preload set to nearly soft as it will go (1/4" coil nut threads showing), the front lifted about 2" and the deavers add another 2" to the rear and I retained about 1.5" of rake.  Like yourself, I like my truck not squatting when I throw a few gallons of milk in the back 😉  

How does it ride and handle?  Do you like the Fox's and did you go with the ones that come with the BDS kit or procure them separately?

I'm trying to figure out if I can re-use my current Kings with the BDS kits but can't get ahold of anyone to ask.

Are you not pleased with the King or just looking for more height? I’m looking for a plush Cadillac-like ride for the wife and kids over bumps, driveways etc. Just curious. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 10:07 PM, JT17 said:

Are you not pleased with the King or just looking for more height? I’m looking for a plush Cadillac-like ride for the wife and kids over bumps, driveways etc. Just curious. 

Not at all.  I should have put Kings on years ago and don't regret the $$$$ that they cost... worth every penny... buy once, cry once etc.  They ride very well, are adjustable, and rebuildable.  For me, that's piece of mind.  Buying a decent tire with an adequate sidewall will also help with the ride.  I went from the factory 22's to a 17" wheel and man, there is a big difference!

I was flirting with the idea of more lift (4") to be able to clear 37's (with cutting) but without going to the heavens with it.  Ask around and folks say you need a 6" lift to clear 35's but I was able to get 305x70x17's clear with the norcal mod and without cranking up the preload (lift) on the Kings.  The truck still has some rake, but that's fine with me for now.  

Finally did the "Norcal" mod to fit the 305x70x17's KO2's and man, I should have done this ages ago. Was concerned that I would have to pull the coilovers off and crank up the preload (i.e., lift) but the tires fit with no rubbing and the King EXT version shocks are in their sweet spot for both up and down travel.

It rides very different and like a truck should 😉 The 6.2 still has more than enough pull to turn these easily but I might look into a tune or even gearing to get some mileage and torque back, and to keep some strain off of the trans. If I can find a decent kit and/or parts, may even build and add a trans cooler.

Next - trying to find a body-matching camper shell, 3M clear film to protect the rockers and paint from the new wheel/tire poke, bumpers & winch, roof racks, lighting, cell range extender, aux fuel cell, dual batteries...

IMG_9041.JPEG

IMG_8897.JPEG

IMG_8922.JPEG

unnamed (1).jpg

IMG_8927.JPEG