Resonators gone new mesh screens replace them

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2018 at 8:17 PM, Black02Silverado said:

The Resonance Free Pipe (RFP) takes the place of a traditional resonator with much less weight and bulk. Some vehicle applications however still use resonators. An RFP works by venting a small amount of gas through the mesh in the pipe to break up standing waves which cause resonance in longer pipe sections. One tuning valve is used on the 5.3L L84 and two tuning valves are used on the 6.2L L87.

Interesting, thanks for posting.  Exhaust tuning my '17 truck has been one of my biggest frustrations.  By tuning valve do you mean flapper valve, like the one that is currently in use? That thing is the bane of my existence.  

9 minutes ago, Largely Unknown said:

Interesting, thanks for posting.  Exhaust tuning my '17 truck has been one of my biggest frustrations.  By tuning valve do you mean flapper valve, like the one that is currently in use? That thing is the bane of my existence.  

They are calling the mesh screen a tuning valve. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
I don’t want it loud like a different muffler loud I just want a little more sound I’m gonna go cut them today
It all depends on the muffler you buy. Not all muffler swaps are loud. Look at a Borla ProXS if they're still available.

• 5 weeks later...

I put a flowmaster 40 series on and it sounds great

It all depends on the muffler you buy. Not all muffler swaps are loud. Look at a Borla ProXS if they're still available.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2018 at 2:43 PM, 2019denali said:

I don’t want it loud like a different muffler loud I just want a little more sound I’m gonna go cut them today

that sounds like a terrible idea

if you just want a little more sound you should get a CAI instead

No.  Works for drone/resonance elimination.  Change the muffler out.  That will get you more sound.   
I put a flow master on my 2017 and the value behind the muffler I opened it all the way, sound great. Have not had no issues.

On 11/29/2018 at 8:43 PM, Sarg330 said:

I put a flowmaster 40 series on and it sounds great

Yeah I was thinking about the flowmaster 44 for my 19.  Guy on you tube just put one in along with changing to 3” pipe from muffler back and it sounds great!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Has anyone had luck closing off the mesh resonators? I just bought a new Silverado Friday and had a Flowmaster Super 40 installed yesterday. I looked under the truck and didn’t see resonators so I thought it would give me the sound I wanted but it’s sooo quiet. It has a great tone but even a cold start is quiet and you can still hear that stock vacuum cleaner sound when you rev it, along with a muffled good tone. I wanted mild but this still feels like what stock should sound like. 

2 hours ago, Jstnelson said:

Has anyone had luck closing off the mesh resonators? I just bought a new Silverado Friday and had a Flowmaster Super 40 installed yesterday. I looked under the truck and didn’t see resonators so I thought it would give me the sound I wanted but it’s sooo quiet. It has a great tone but even a cold start is quiet and you can still hear that stock vacuum cleaner sound when you rev it, along with a muffled good tone. I wanted mild but this still feels like what stock should sound like. 

A simple hack, not the greatest looking but the cheapest would be to cut open a beer can or soda can and cover the mesh screens up with that and two hose clamps.  That should block off the screens enough to give you and idea of what  the sound change would be I would think.

16 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

A simple hack, not the greatest looking but the cheapest would be to cut open a beer can or soda can and cover the mesh screens up with that and two hose clamps.  That should block off the screens enough to give you and idea of what  the sound change would be I would think.

I’ve thought about trying some temporary hack like that. I’m curious if there is anything inside the pipe as well though. If there is some kind of obstruction within the piping, I’d just get the pipes replaced. But if it’s just hollow pipes with mesh cutouts, I’ll seal them up. 

I think ill I’ll deconsruct a wire clothing hanger and stick it through the tailpipe and see if I hit anything lol 

Edited by Jstnelson