Active Exhaust for GM trucks? (like the Camaro & Corvette has)

Hi guys,

I have a 2017 crew cab 1500 with the 5.3 V8 and want to install an exhaust system similar to a Borla S or Corsa sport.  The only problem, is, is that I want it to be controllable.  With how popular these trucks are, I don't understand why nobody has come out with an active exhaust system for these trucks being that trucks are used for such a wide array of uses in today's society!?  If any of you are familiar with the Camaro or Corvette NPP active exhaust system available as a factory option, you'll know they have a butterfly valve that electronically opens up when the engine gets above about 3000 rpm (depends on the drive mode selected).  What a lot of owners do is tap into this circuit with a switch so that they can override this feature and either open it all the time or close it depending on the sound they want (a remote version is also available called a mild 2 wild switch).

I love loud exhaust, but I don't like it when I cold start in my neighbourhood at 4am with sleeping babies in the house, or when we're a road trip through the mountains with the family as the drone is unbearable.  I want to be able to turn it on and off at will. 

Roush sells a performance exhaust system for their Roush F150 that has this type of valve, as well as GM with their Camaro and Corvette NPP exhaust.  I've done my research and it looks like there is nothing on the market available for GM half tons, but before I go ahead and hack apart a $1200 Borla system and plumb in a valve to customize it, have any of you guys heard of anything like this that I could just buy?  Here are some examples of what I want to build:

Roush F150 Active Exhaust

https://www.roushperformance.com/2015-f150-active-cat-back-exhaust.html

15-19 ROUSH F-150 Active Cat-Back Exhaust Kit Components

Camaro NPP

Image result for camaro NPP valve

Corvette NPP

Image result for corvette NPP valve

Mild 2 Wild Controller for Camaro or Corvette

https://www.nakidparts.com/mild2wild/mild2wild-npp-exhaust-control-products

c6-corvette-z06-grand-sport-zr1-mild2wild_1.jpg

Love these systems in the 'Vettes. I had a buddy back in college that had a '98 Silverado with this type of system custom made. It was badass to be incognito then open it up. 

It's very possible a custom exhaust shop could create a system for you but I'd expect a $1500+ price tag. 

I had a manual set up of quad exhaust on several trucks through the years. Full quiet exhaust, and y piped before the muffler that would run with it. Then I would have a block plate for the loud side for trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got those on my charger. They are bypassed. Several reports of them breaking and rattling. And the cold starts happen with the valves open so they won’t help with that.

You could have an electric cut out rigged up to act similar to this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, Centex14 said:

Got those on my charger. They are bypassed. Several reports of them breaking and rattling. And the cold starts happen with the valves open so they won’t help with that.

You could have an electric cut out rigged up to act similar to this.

I'm not sure what you are referring to?  Are you saying the GM valves rattle and break?  I have never heard this.  They are fairly reliable parts.  Also, you can definitely control them to remain closed for cold starts so I'm not sure where you're getting your information from.  Plus, if you wire them in manually (which I plan to do) with the control of a switch I can have them open or closed on demand.

1 minute ago, cmysstailights said:

Why not just install a exhaust cutout, 150 bucks and any exhaust shop can install

I don't want a cutout which essentially is a straight exhaust.  I want a quality exhaust tone which is loud similar to a Borla S or Corsa Sport.  I'm not overly concerned about price.  I basically want it to sound like a Camaro or Corvette with the NPP option.

29 minutes ago, 5.3Avalanche said:

I'm not sure what you are referring to?  Are you saying the GM valves rattle and break?  I have never heard this.  They are fairly reliable parts.  Also, you can definitely control them to remain closed for cold starts so I'm not sure where you're getting your information from.  Plus, if you wire them in manually (which I plan to do) with the control of a switch I can have them open or closed on demand.

Camaro and Vette forums have some rattling and melting reports out there.  Just like the squeaking flappers on K2. 

I’m speaking of my charger directly but yes, there are several reports of the GM valves failing as well. And you are talking about taking control of the valves and not letting the computer do it’s thing, that’s a whole different ball game than what I said. And why would you want them closed during cold start when your engine is at a high idle and needs the additional flow?

2014 z71 LTZ
Volant Intake
Borla Exhaust
Diablo

I don't want a cutout which essentially is a straight exhaust.  I want a quality exhaust tone which is loud similar to a Borla S or Corsa Sport.  I'm not overly concerned about price.  I basically want it to sound like a Camaro or Corvette with the NPP option.

Cut outs don’t have to be straight pipe. I’ve seen people route it through mufflers.

2014 z71 LTZ
Volant Intake
Borla Exhaust
Diablo

I'd find a local custom exhaust shop and talk to them about this.

I found that the price was quite reasonable when I installed a "camaro style" Flowmaster dual exhaust on my Grand Am, they custom bent all the pipe and welded it together, it has held up great for a couple years now. You can just buy any muffler you want and the rest is just stainless pipe.

I would recommend anyone to go this route when you want something that isn't on the market.

3 hours ago, aseibel said:

I'd find a local custom exhaust shop and talk to them about this.

I found that the price was quite reasonable when I installed a "camaro style" Flowmaster dual exhaust on my Grand Am, they custom bent all the pipe and welded it together, it has held up great for a couple years now. You can just buy any muffler you want and the rest is just stainless pipe.

I would recommend anyone to go this route when you want something that isn't on the market.

I agree, and this is what I have been anticipating I'd need to do to get what I want.  I'm just surprised that nothing like this exists in a kit form.  It must either be too expensive, or those valves are not reliable enough for companies to sell something like this. 

Not sure where your at but I’d contact these guys and talk to them about this and see what they say. If I was to do true duels on my truck I would make the 12 hour drive one way  to have them do it seem some of their work in person very impressive. Might even have a video of something like this on a different vehicle on YouTube (they have 100s of videos). Even if your not close enough to go to them they might be able to point you in the right direction as far as parts and routing for your local shop.

http://www.kinneysmufflershop.com/kinneysmufflershop.com/HOME.html

17 hours ago, wforrest08 said:

Not sure where your at but I’d contact these guys and talk to them about this and see what they say. If I was to do true duels on my truck I would make the 12 hour drive one way  to have them do it seem some of their work in person very impressive. Might even have a video of something like this on a different vehicle on YouTube (they have 100s of videos). Even if your not close enough to go to them they might be able to point you in the right direction as far as parts and routing for your local shop.

http://www.kinneysmufflershop.com/kinneysmufflershop.com/HOME.html

Thanks for the link.  Unfortunately, they're 1500 miles from me up in the north east, so I'll have to find someone local here.

If you have a dual outlet exhaust right now, the easiest way would be to install a electric cutout on 1 of the pipes.  Close it in the morning before starting it up, and once you're ready you can use the switch to let it rip.  Nobody makes a kit for trucks right now that I'm aware of.

You're not going to get the same results as the factory cars, those mufflers are setup for 1 tip to go through the muffler, and the other pretty much goes around it internally.

Edited by pewterliftedz