Our 2019 Silverado Has Sat In Fort Wayne For 20 Days

Zane

On 8/27/2018 at 8:40 AM, lapoolboy said:

The most likely scenario is that it is waiting on transport.  They have to work out the logistics of transport via rail and/or truck.  Trust me when I say they WILL NOT begin transport until the train/truck/whatever is FULL!  Same reason airlines don't like empty seats!

I agree; they must be waiting for enough trucks going in the same direction. with the amount of distance Baby Blue has to go, you can pretty much guarantee she's traveling by rail. (with the way Norfolk Southern works, they want a FULL train going east.)

22 hours ago, CadillacLuke24 said:

Hail must not be a big issue in Fort Wayne. Wonder what that is like, not having to worry about flying ice :lol:

Many of those trucks will never be parked in a garage.  Mine will sit outside all year including Minnesota winters.  

On 8/27/2018 at 5:46 PM, amxguy1970 said:

"Only" when a little time with a coat of wax will have similar results twice a year (if it sits outside) for penny's on the dollar... Hard pass, especially on a truck that gets put to work.

Tyler

I have to disagree, you may get similar visual results from waxing twice a year but you don’t get the protection. I had a 2015 2500 High Country ceramic coated and the level of hardness protection added to the clear was amazing. Especially with the water based EPA friendly clear coat being used, dropping the money to get the truck coated is worth it. Mine is scheduled for next week to get the middle of the road coating package ($1100) and xpel clear bra on the bumper hood, fenders and mirrors. 

21 hours ago, CadillacLuke24 said:

True, but I imagine the dealer doesn't want to discount them right off the lot for body damage :lol:

They are insured on dealer lots, have to be as a condition of the finance agreement with ALLY.

• Like 1

Our 2011 GMC was ordered in Nov-Dec 2010, supposed to be built around Christmas, was built first part of January, got pulled for QC (a week where quality control folks go over bumper to bumper), then sat ready to ship until mid Feb, we finally got it end of Feb. We had rail car number so tracked it as it moved from factory, knew it was in rail yard locally, but dealer took a few days to pick it up. then the dealer had to do the dealer installed options, mud flaps, bed liner. I was nearly out of patience when we finally got it, but have loved it since. It currently lives outside so seems to be always dirty (we live on gravel road).

Have patience, it will eventually come. Pretty color, should be worth the wait.

Edited by Scotkb75

Since GM is being hush hush about it, my first thought was an early production run issue that needs to be resolved before shipping to dealership.  Those happen far more often than we hear about.  If that is the case, hopefully it's as simple as a software update on the subsystems or something as simple as that.

I few comments based upon my experiences of ordering my 2015 2500 High Country and 2017 Traverse Premier.

The paint booths in these assembly plants are nothing short of spectacular. They suited us up in protective gear and took us through the inside while they were in full production. Each truck gets a complete inspection after paint and then if needed, gets sent back around to fix any defects they find. And then inspected again. I think they told me they could go through the line up to 3 times before a body panel needs to be started from scratch. They had a whole pile of panels that had been rejected! But once the truck leave the paint booth area, there isn't anything with paint that would hold up production. So in the end, if the truck makes it through assembly, the paint wont be holding it up from delivery.

Occasionally they discover a post production issue on the vehicles and they need to put them on hold until they can determine what needs to be done. For instance when mine was being built, they had just gone through a downpipe issue on the Duramax's. They had approximately 700 trucks sitting outside waiting until they could come up with a plan of action. Any trucks that were just in queue for dealer lots were probably going to sit until they could bring each one individually back into the plant and perform a fix. Any trucks that had been special ordered were most likely going to get scrapped completely and re-built from scratch so as to get them delivered faster. Those 700 trucks had already been sitting for 3 weeks.

On our Traverse, we knew the exact day it had gone through assembly but then waited and waited and waited. When we were finally able to get a hold of someone at the assembly plant, we found that it had been pulled for post production quality inspection. They will randomly pull a new vehicle off of the line and then go over it with a fine tooth comb to ensure that the assembly line is functioning properly. It is a manual process of going through and performing things like checking body panel gaps. Paint thickness. Torque settings on bolts/nuts/screws. Fluid levels, etc. Part of me was like "Why pull a vehicle that someone distinctly ordered and is waiting?". And then the other part was "This is awesome as now I know that it is built perfectly". In the end, through a bit of complaining to regional, our local dealer was able to use the delay to our advantage and get us an added discount of several thousand dollars. YMMV.

When I walked out of the factory after watching the truck get built and being the one to turn the key for the first time, I was SUPER excited to get back home and get her picked up. But from Flint Michigan to the far west Chicago suburbs could turn out to a long wait. I had done a bit of research and found that most vehicles take a train ride to their final destination. And those train routes going through Chicago can be horrendous. As another example, I read that a freight train can get from Los Angeles to the Chicago area in 48 hours. And from Chicago to the East Coast in 30 hours. But it takes a full 30 hours just to get THROUGH Chicago. It is quite the bottleneck as the country's central rail hub. Fortunately, my truck came from Flint over the road. It was 3 weeks from the day I ordered it to the day I drove it off the lot which is about as fast as anyone could hope for.

All I can offer is that it pays to be patient and know that the end justifies the means! Good Luck!!!

• Like 1

I worked for GM and other OEM companies and many suppliers and seen it all, from quality issues to missing parts. Its not uncommon for a newly launched vehicle to sit outside because the supplier was not able to ship their part on time and vehicles sat outside with a missing part. I have even seen vehicles outside with no back seats!

On 8/27/2018 at 3:37 PM, Black02Silverado said:

Just go for the ceramic coating once you get it.  Around here it only cost $1,500 to have a full size truck done.  :)

What is up with a Tim Hortons inside the assembly plant.  One would think it would be a Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks.