In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
UrbanRage

Calling out trucks with 20" Rims and Bilstein shocks

1 hour ago, UrbanRage said:

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I do appreciate it. I'm going to bit the bullet and install the shock on the top setting.  

Glad I could help. I think you’ll be happy with that decision. 

I installed my kit myself except for compressing the springs. I took them to a local tire shop and they had the right setup to safely compress the springs. It cost around $60 for them to do it, but I wasn’t comfortable doing it myself because the rental tools from auto zone were too small to fit it properly. DB51602D-54B6-4AC7-9C44-E1A84F786611.thumb.jpeg.d42a3782b04ea579b6c062811d08c988.jpeg

• Like 1

How do you like the ride now?

2 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

How do you like the ride now?

I love it now. I'm glad I installed the Bilstien 5100s.

The ride is nice isn't it!? I just installed mine last weekend, highest settting plus 1/2" top strut spacers.  In the rear I installed blocks that were about 5/8" taller than stock (advertised as 1" lift blocks).  I'm on factory 18's with 275/70/18 which are fairly tall, about 33.5".  My front fenders are 39.5" and rears are about 40.5", so the rake is maintained.    Very glad I went with Bilsteins also.    

Edited by Leevon

On 9/4/2018 at 12:08 AM, Z71 _ GMC said:

I love it now. I'm glad I installed the Bilstien 5100s.

:thumbs:

Have you seen my topic poll in the ranchos love em or leave em?

I would appreciate if you could chime in and vote. 

1 hour ago, Leevon said:

The ride is nice isn't it!? I just installed mine last weekend, highest settting plus 1/2" top strut spacers.  In the rear I installed blocks that were about 5/8" taller than stock (advertised as 1" lift blocks).  I'm on factory 18's with 275/70/18 which are fairly tall, about 33.5".  My front fenders are 39.5" and rears are about 40.5", so the rake is maintained.    Very glad I went with Bilsteins also.    

Please vote also if you would like Leevon :thumbs:

• Like 1

On 8/27/2018 at 7:53 PM, UrbanRage said:

I've been looking and reading like a madman and I could really use some help/advise. I installed the rear Bilstein shocks which was a huge improvement over the Ranchos. So now my biggest decision is,  which setting on the front shocks and tire combo to go with. 

My end goal is to maintain a  little bit of a rake and no tire rub.

- Front shocks at 3rd setting. If the highest setting will still provide a little rake I'm good with that. 

- Tires I'm eyeballing - Continental TerrainContact A/T, size 275/60 R20......anyone have these? 

If would you please post some pictures of your setup and also let me know if you rub.  I really appreciate the help/advise. 

Was looking to get those same tires in that size? Did you get a chance to get these yet?

On 9/17/2018 at 5:24 AM, BSherrod said:

Was looking to get those same tires in that size? Did you get a chance to get these yet?

I  should have everything installed around the first week of Oct. I will post my results afterwards. 

On 9/23/2018 at 7:58 PM, UrbanRage said:

I  should have everything installed around the first week of Oct. I will post my results afterwards. 

Sounds great, thanks!

On 9/23/2018 at 8:58 PM, UrbanRage said:

How’d everything work out?  Any rubbing?

On 1/1/2019 at 8:27 PM, RHStansbury said:

How’d everything work out?  Any rubbing?

Sorry for the extremely late reply. I haven't been on here very much lately. The install was completed and I' very happy with the results. The Bilstein on the highest setting provided the perfect amount of lift. I do have very minor rubbing on the wheel liner. I'm sure I could fix it, but honestly to me isn't worth the time......yet.....hahaha..  I will say the ride is definitely much stiffer than the stock shocks and you do feel minor bumps in the road. The Continental tires are great! The ride, noise level and traction is awesome. I will be buying these again. 

I've got continental terraincontact 275/60R20 and just got my bilstein 5100s set to 3rd setting, and 1" block in back. I get no rubbing, and the tires are awesome. I had some rubbing on the fender liner before the bilsteins, but not any more.

For anyone planning on going this route, I paid under 850 delivered from discount tire direct, including tpms. Definitely loving the setup. Gained about 1.5-2.0 inches total from the tires and shocks I think.