Factory "Rancho" Tenneco Shocks Love 'Em or Hate 'Em/Upgraded

Factory "Rancho" Tenneco Shocks Love 'Em or Hate 'Em/Upgraded  

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

“Must upgrade” list because they are complete garbage stock

-tires

-ranchos

-and for my ‘14 slt, headlights

-engine/trans tune

I just want to stay on topic regarding Rancho upgrades only. Certainly there are other truck upgrades but for now I want to see shock related feedback. 

Thank you for your input truckguy!

I still have the Z71 stock "ranchos" and have no complaints about my ride.

I always see on this forum that the consensus from those posting is that a shock replacement makes some significant difference on our trucks.

I'm subscribing to this thread and hoping to see if someone can quantitatively explain why the Bilsteins are so much better. I frequently see people claiming the "stock ranchos are crap" without actually describing the problem. Are they actually bad from the start? did they fail? What about your ride tells you they are bad?

How do bilsteins ride compared to brand new, properly working ranchos? I am in the dark on this topic. Please help me.

From what I know about shock absorbers, if your ride isn't bouncing far down the road after hitting a bump, they are doing their job. You can tell when someone's shocks are shot because the wheel (or whole car) bounces like 10+ times after hitting a bump.

Please fill me with knowledge, O wonderful internet.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

I just want to stay on topic regarding Rancho upgrades only. Certainly there are other truck upgrades but for now I want to see shock related feedback. 

Thank you for your input truckguy!

Everybody hates the ranchos

this thread is 3 years too late

3 minutes ago, aseibel said:

I always see on this forum that the consensus from those posting is that a shock replacement makes some significant difference on our trucks.

I'm subscribing to this thread and hoping to see if someone can quantitatively explain why the Bilsteins are so much better. I frequently see people claiming the "stock ranchos are crap" without actually describing the problem. Are they actually bad from the start? did they fail? What about your ride tells you they are bad?

How do bilsteins ride compared to brand new, properly working ranchos? I am in the dark on this topic. Please help me.

From what I know about shock absorbers, if your ride isn't bouncing far down the road after hitting a bump, they are doing their job. You can tell when someone's shocks are shot because the wheel (or whole car) bounces like 10+ times after hitting a bump.

Please read the Poll again.

This is not a Bilstein Vs. Rancho Topic, Poll or Thread.

The alternative to the stock Rancho can be any other brand of shock.

1 minute ago, truckguy82 said:

Everybody hates the ranchos

this thread is 3 years too late

I started this Poll based on the suspension offering of the new 2019 T1 Sierra AT4 and Silverado Trail Boss, as they come stock with the Rancho Tenneco shocks.

My opinion is that GM should have included something better for shocks, granted the price of the package.

3 minutes ago, aseibel said:

Ranchos = hit a large pothole or bump = feels like you hit an 8 inch curb and someone hit your dash with a sledgehammer

bilsteins = hit a large pothole or bump = thud, the end

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sierra Dan said:

This is not a Bilstein Vs. Rancho Topic, Poll or Thread.

sorry, I did not mean to imply Bilsteins are the only alternative, i only referenced them because they are very commonly referenced on this site.

I started this Poll based on the suspension offering of the new 2019 T1 Sierra AT4 and Silverado Trail Boss, as they come stock with the Rancho Tenneco shocks.
My opinion is that GM should have included something better for shocks, granted the price of the package.
Eww 2019? I'm following because my 16 Z71 is equipped with Ranchos.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

Ranchos = hit a large pothole or bump = feels like you hit an 8 inch curb and someone hit your dash with a sledgehammer

bilsteins = hit a large pothole or bump = thud, the end

so... the ranchos are too stiff for you? Hitting a large bump feels like hitting a large bump. I don't get what the dash has to do with it. It sounds like you are implying the bilsteins are softer, but again, your response doesn't give any real explanation other than you personally hate the ranchos. We already know that.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, aseibel said:

The Bilstein 5100's have much better damping, especially on rebound.  Takes almost all of the bounce out of the ride of the truck.  You truly have to experience it to know why everyone raves about them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, aseibel said:

so... the ranchos are too stiff for you? Hitting a large bump feels like hitting a large bump. I don't get what the dash has to do with it. It sounds like you are implying the bilsteins are softer, but again, your response doesn't give any real explanation other than you personally hate the ranchos. We already know that.

They are the worst shock I’ve ever had in my life

I don’t know the science behind it. I just know what it feels like driving with the ranchos and the bilsteins.

When asked for any sort of dramatic suspension movement, such as a large bump, the bilstein does a far better job. I don’t know what to tell you other then that.

• Like 1