Factory "Rancho" Tenneco Shocks Love 'Em or Hate 'Em/Upgraded

Factory "Rancho" Tenneco Shocks Love 'Em or Hate 'Em/Upgraded  

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

so... the ranchos are too stiff for you? Hitting a large bump feels like hitting a large bump. I don't get what the dash has to do with it. It sounds like you are implying the bilsteins are softer, but again, your response doesn't give any real explanation other than you personally hate the ranchos. We already know that.
Shock absorbers aren't about soft vs hard. They're about bump vs rebound. A soft shock will bottom out over potholes and speed bumps and will make the ride feel hard.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

I'm curious of this as well.  I had stock Ranchos on my 2010 Silverado and it didn't seem to rebound has hard on bumps (maybe they were shot by 40k)

My 2015 Sierra with Ranchos can get scary on any type of washboard road where the back end just wants to bounce out sideways.  Add some snow, and there's potential for an accident.

I'm debating Bilstein 4600 for replacement in the near future.

Edit:  I think the nature of opinions may have to do with an empty truck bed as well.  I recently had 600lbs in the bed and it rode MUCH smoother.

Edited by royalkangaroo

12 minutes ago, smit303 said:

I had the factory Bilsteins on a 90 stepside Z71. They felt great for the 70K miles I owned the vehicle. It came with LT tires and real metal skid plates too. A very solid truck.

Amen to my point about GM needing a better shock on the AT4 and Trail Boss from the factory :thumbs:

1 minute ago, royalkangaroo said:

I'm curious of this as well.  I had stock Ranchos on my 2010 Silverado and it didn't seem to rebound has hard on bumps (maybe they were shot by 40k)

My 2015 Sierra with Ranchos can get scary on any type of washboard road where the back end just wants to bounce out sideways.  Add some snow, and there's potential for an accident.

4600 and 5100 are the same other than outer Color/Finish and the fact that the 5100 has a longer stroke due to the 0-2" lift they can provide (fronts).

Either will be a much better alternative to the Rancho.

AT4 and Trail Boss could benefit from this as well.

I like mine, 82,400 miles and counting. The rear end is skittish at times, but that's nothing throttle control can fix :thumbs:

One thing I've noticed is that the Ranchos handle more noticeable bumps with ease. Deep potholes, ruts on ratted out old two tracks, They don't bottom out and they don't slam the undercarriage on the ground. I've heard that they are designed as such to work well in offroad situations. I'm not sure if that's the case, but I am happy with their performance. 

I'd like to see a comparison of Bilsteins and Ranchos both on and off road. We know Bilsteins ride better on road, that's been validated countless times. Where it would count is off road, which is the point of the Z71 package. 

• Like 1

Just now, CadillacLuke24 said:

I like mine, 82,400 miles and counting. The rear end is skittish at times, but that's nothing throttle control can fix :thumbs:

One thing I've noticed is that the Ranchos handle more noticeable bumps with ease. Deep potholes, ruts on ratted out old two tracks, They don't bottom out and they don't slam the undercarriage on the ground. I've heard that they are designed as such to work well in offroad situations. I'm not sure if that's the case, but I am happy with their performance. 

I'd like to see a comparison of Bilsteins and Ranchos both on and off road. We know Bilsteins ride better on road, that's been validated countless times. Where it would count is off road, which is the point of the Z71 package. 

I think you are an exception to the rule. I am glad to hear you are happy with the Stock Ranchos and that they have held up well for you. :thumbs:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CadillacLuke24 said:

same for me my drivers side front started clunking at 80,000 miles so i swapped them all with new take offs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, royalkangaroo said:

Edit:  I think the nature of opinions may have to do with an empty truck bed as well.  I recently had 600lbs in the bed and it rode MUCH smoother.

the feel of a rear end that wants to bounce out sideways is more of a solid rear axle issue.  

• Like 1

Got the factory rancho’s at 116k miles. Honestly I don’t think they ride bad at all. Feels like a 2500 to me which I enjoy. I hate soft suspensions. I’m replacing them this weekend with Bilstein’s because they are worn out and I’m leveling the truck. But in reality they aren’t bad. The stock rancho’s are like nickleback. The internet says you have to hate them but when asked why you never get a straight answer.

I will concede and say that these aren’t as good as the Rancho’s of yore but then again neither are Bose speakers but people still buy them and enjoy them. It’s all a matter of preference.

2014 z71 LTZ
Volant Intake
Borla Exhaust
Diablo

• Haha 2

True indeed Centex.

Ranchos of today are not like those in the past.

This is why i petition for GM to include a truly well built shock such as Bilstein, Fox etc on the z71

and especially AT4,X31 and Trail Boss for 2019.

You will Love your Bilsteins!

Please report once you have them installed. It is then you will see the point about the Ranchos :thumbs:

23 minutes ago, djw88 said:

the feel of a rear end that wants to bounce out sideways is more of a solid rear axle issue.  

With Bilstein there is no bucking action.

They are well valved and planted.

You can clearly see the bucking pogo action in the bpack AT4 vid.

7 hours ago, kevinfranklin said:

Rode with my factory Rancho's for 8,000 miles.  This is my first truck, and was rather surprised at 3 things:   how much I could feel on the road (small bumps, ridges, pennies, etc) , how hard they hit over speed bumps and the like, and also at the amount of "float" I'd feel at speed over bumps on the highway. 

So I upgraded to Bilstein 5100's for $320(left stock rake, though) , and am happy with the results.  I don't drive offroad much, but they handle all terrain that I encounter much better.  Bumps, holes, ridges, etc.  Smoother, more "grounded," and feels safer.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat. 

That 'float' was what amazed me about the Bilstein's.  There is an intersection on my way to work that has a ~1' drop once you go through it.  At 35 mph the truck would drop then 'float' back up then settle back down.  With the Bilstein's, the truck dropped, then slowly settled back to ride height.  They could just eat that drop, no problem.

39 minutes ago, djw88 said:

With Bilstein there is no bucking action.

They are well valved and planted.

You can clearly see the bucking pogo action in the black AT4 vid.

Here is what a Rancho does when bad.....it acts more like a spring than an absorber.

Most of you think your Ranchos are fine, but this is what is really going on as you drive:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a6w9wv06s_0

Edited by Sierra Dan