Factory "Rancho" Tenneco Shocks Love 'Em or Hate 'Em/Upgraded

Factory "Rancho" Tenneco Shocks Love 'Em or Hate 'Em/Upgraded  

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ranchos are garbage and if anyone is looking to upgrade to a better shock then start with Bilsteins. Bilsteins are a good quality entry level performance shock. I immediately switched out those knockoff Ranchos and went with Bilsteins and now running the awesome CST Coilovers and rear piggy back resi’s.

cda8fe0eab7f08ea016e85e04f906be2.jpg

29c1fd955524736e0c8b935640f4fc83.jpg

Sent from above

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

Ranchos are garbage and if anyone is looking to upgrade to a better shock then start with Bilsteins. Bilsteins are a good quality entry level performance shock. I immediately switched out those knockoff Ranchos and went with Bilsteins and now running the awesome CST Coilovers and rear piggy back resi’s.

Sweet Setup TX ! :thumbs:

• Like 1

My biggest issue with the factory Rancho shocks is the rebound. I feel like the compression stroke is okay for a factory 4x4 suspension but the rebound seams to have no control whatsoever. A good shock should control the compression and rebound stroke. I haven't replaced them yet but hopefully soon.

My biggest issue with the factory Rancho shocks is the rebound. I feel like the compression stroke is okay for a factory 4x4 suspension but the rebound seams to have no control whatsoever. A good shock should control the compression and rebound stroke. I haven't replaced them yet but hopefully soon.

Exactly the reason why they’re being replaced. In some years back, the new Chevys were outfitted with Bilstein shocks, front and rear. Never having issues unless you wanted to lift. Bilstein will be your best economical choice. If you’re in the market to do a level then I’d hold off and get a pair of CST, King or Fox leveling coilovers. Can’t beat coilovers when it comes to ride quality.

Sent from above

Different question than the pole, so forgive me OP: why does everyone keep saying Tenneco Rancho instead of just Rancho? I know Tenneco is the parent company to Rancho, but why the use of both? Is the OEM Rancho a different product than what can be purchased under the Rancho name retail?

40 minutes ago, mcdavis said:

Different question than the pole, so forgive me OP: why does everyone keep saying Tenneco Rancho instead of just Rancho? I know Tenneco is the parent company to Rancho, but why the use of both? Is the OEM Rancho a different product than what can be purchased under the Rancho name retail?

No it is the same. Just a few people on here I think either work for Bilstein, have a vendetta against Rancho or just have to have the latest "it" item such as bilstein's or BFG tires. The Rancho's are legit Rancho's and aren't bad by any means (took me around the white rim trail, over the alpine loop and various other places and did well). For 95% of the people on here the Rancho's do well and are more than they need, ditto with the factory tires. It is the same reason people call Ram's Fiat's or GM government motors, just trying to be cute and sway others to their personal view on something regardless if it is right or wrong.

Don't read more in to it than it is. Good question though!

Tyler

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jjt said:

Please vote :thumbs:

No it is the same. Just a few people on here I think either work for Bilstein, have a vendetta against Rancho or just have to have the latest "it" item such as bilstein's or BFG tires. The Rancho's are legit Rancho's and aren't bad by any means (took me around the white rim trail, over the alpine loop and various other places and did well). For 95% of the people on here the Rancho's do well and are more than they need, ditto with the factory tires. It is the same reason people call Ram's Fiat's or GM government motors, just trying to be cute and sway others to their personal view on something regardless if it is right or wrong.

Tyler

That is absolutely ridiculous! Everyone knows stock shocks are garbage compared to aftermarket and for you to claim a few people on here must work for Bilstein or another is ridiculous. There are those of us that enjoy having the finer things in life and don’t like to settle especially if you’ve actually physically rode in a vehicle with aftermarket suspension. These forums are about expressing personal experiences and no one should be ridiculed by some penny pincher with an obvious inferiority complex!

My ranchos went out at 3 months after purchasing a new truck which was to be expected and does that mean I work for Bilstein or CST because I love the ride compared to that garbage and like to inform anyone interested in a far superior shock. Research it and you’ll probably think the article is getting a kick back lol

Tyler

The last Z71 I owned was awhile ago. I put KOs on like always. This truck I kept the longest 180K. Traded in with the original shocks. I used my trucks off road as well as pavement. Never an issue with factory equipment. It's amusing that the people who swear GM is the best, want to say they use inferior parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

The last Z71 I owned was awhile ago. I put KOs on like always. This truck I kept the longest 180K. Traded in with the original shocks. I used my trucks off road as well as pavement. Never an issue with factory equipment. It's amusing that the people who swear GM is the best, want to say they use inferior parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a GM site for GM lovers not Korean Made disposable garbage

Sent from above

On 9/4/2018 at 9:42 PM, Sierra Dan said:

Dump the Factory Ranchos.

Install Bilstein, Pro-Comp, Eibach, Fox, Even Rancho MT7000s

All of these are roughly the same price and serve the same purpose.

What they will not do is underperform like the factory Tenneco Ranchos.

Tenneco makes the Pro Comps as well. 

I do have a question relative to this topic.  My 17 Sierra All Terrain already has a 2" level on the front.  It sounds like based on that, I would not need the 5100's.  Is that correct and does the 4600's not have the different settings.  Please educate me.

Thanks,

4W