Factory "Rancho" Tenneco Shocks Love 'Em or Hate 'Em/Upgraded

Factory "Rancho" Tenneco Shocks Love 'Em or Hate 'Em/Upgraded  

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:50 PM, mcdavis said:

Different question than the pole, so forgive me OP: why does everyone keep saying Tenneco Rancho instead of just Rancho? I know Tenneco is the parent company to Rancho, but why the use of both? Is the OEM Rancho a different product than what can be purchased under the Rancho name retail?

Tenneco is the Manufacturer.

"Rancho" is a brand of the Manufacturer.

Tenneco also makes Monroe shocks and struts.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:30 PM, TXGREEK said:

You’ll see Z71 chrome trucks all day long, it’s not only color matched. Sport models can get color matched too. A Z71 is supposed to handle and be more off-road worthy than a regular 4X4, skid plates, beefier coils just to make a couple

Sent from above

Mine is a  Z71 chrome truck :thumbs:  Chevy LTZ Z71s are chrome also

• Like 1

I’ll give the Sierra, I know nothing about them. The last Silverado there is an older K2, and I see yes you could get them then, didn’t know that. None of my friends have one before the face lift, none of them would want the older technology to get the chrome Z71 either. So I’ll agree the color match issue is only post facelift. The HD’s run their own packages, like the Alaskan edition truck (which has a very weird set of features and limitations). This isn’t the HD section, and I don’t think the discussion includes them. We couldn’t say anything regarding a platform if we included half and HD in the same convo, as their packages rarely match.

It’s not about what you or any of your friends like or dislike. Try not to just look at the pictures but actually READ what’s being discussed.
Black one was a 2014, Grey one is a 16, White one is a 2018. You’re not thinking this through well enough. Here’s a 2019 Z71 Chrome Package, this one should be good for you, it’s a picture
e381c2a4fe90aac3850e5b6bf5b0fe2c.jpg

Sent from above

It’s not about what you or any of your friends like or dislike. Try not to just look at the pictures but actually READ what’s being discussed.
Black one was a 2014, Grey one is a 16, White one is a 2018. You’re not thinking this through well enough. Here’s a 2019 Z71 Chrome Package, this one should be good for you, it’s a picture
e381c2a4fe90aac3850e5b6bf5b0fe2c.jpg

Sent from above

For shouting read, you’re doing a right terrible job of it. I told you I understand the Sierra, I don’t know how their packages work. I said I understand the chrome USED to be a thing, but it then stopped. This is the K2 half ton forum bud, it’s right at the top if you read. You can come off it.

For shouting read, you’re doing a right terrible job of it. I told you I understand the Sierra, I don’t know how their packages work. I said I understand the chrome USED to be a thing, but it then stopped. This is the K2 half ton forum bud, it’s right at the top if you read. You can come off it.

You make no sense what so ever, Chevy Z71 chrome is in 18 and 19

Here’s another picture for you, 19 loaded out Z71 LTZ Chevy

e005ec72d31086515b21319804453a05.jpg

Sent from above

You make no sense what so ever, Chevy Z71 chrome is in 18 and 19

Here’s another picture for you, 19 loaded out Z71 LTZ Chevy

e005ec72d31086515b21319804453a05.jpg

Sent from above

That’s really strange, I thought that 19 was a new platform that we made forums for. Better tell the admins. Also weird how that 2018 has a 2500 badge. Didn’t know they made a half ton with a 2500 badge in 2018. I guess the more you know.

That’s really strange, I thought that 19 was a new platform that we made forums for. Better tell the admins. Also weird how that 2018 has a 2500 badge. Didn’t know they made a half ton with a 2500 badge in 2018. I guess the more you know.

Your assumption was that it’s a 1500 but then again you weren’t paying attention in the first place. You’d be surprised what just a little googling does in order to find simple things out. Bye

Sent from above

• 4 months later...

Here's another vote for "HATE 'EM". Drove 300 miles last night and the back end was walking on me a lot. 

Also, the truck is SO bouncy side-to-side at slower speeds over driveway approaches, etc. For a truck that handles so well and drives down the road so quietly, I'm not tolerating the crappy Rancho ride anymore. 

I bought my '18 Sierra new in Feb 2019 and I find the ride of the stock Ranchos very cushiony or mushy. 

As an adder, I've had both the 5100 Bilsteins and Pro Comp Pro Runner Monotubes and both rode better than these Rancho shocks.  I'm not sure if the stock Ranchos are to be similar to the RS5000 series or something of a lesser quality like an OEM shock with Rancho badging.   Seems like they might be a twin tube design, and monotubes seems to ride better. Just my opinion. 

Edited by jimbrown1

3 hours ago, djw88 said:

I'm surprised how close it is i assumed more people didn't like them. 

They don't bother me at all

Same here. Same assumption.

Drove my 73k mile '15 SLT Plus into the shop, and was handed the keys to a '18 Silverado LT Z71 with 3.1k miles. Both had the factory ranchos. My truck has the 20in wheels, the Silverado had the 18in wheels.

The 2018 truck drove SIGNIFICANTLY better than mine. I'm suspecting my stock Ranchos are long past their "replace me" time. Combined with the stiffer sidewall of my 20in KO2's, and the assumed faulty shocks, my truck rides like a hay wagon. Bounces badly on large undulating rises, and does little damping on sharp square edge bumps. It's a very harsh ride overall, and somewhat "floaty" in all scenarios. The Silverado was well composed over the same roads. Small bumps went away, and large rise/falls were not "bouncy" or "floaty" at all. It was seriously like I had two completely chassis's underneath them. The Silverado had a bit less damping overall than I would have preffered, but I'm unsure if that was the large sidewall tires, or the shocks.

I'll be swapping over to Bilstien 5100's (on stock height settings) within the month. I'm also on the search path for some taller sidewall tires in a P series instead of the LT series. Love the look of the KO2's, but they're noticeably heavier than the stockers,, and ride like they're almost solid. Handle nice and have lots of traction though.

Edited by 2kwik4u

The Rancho Branded shocks that come on K2 and T1 (other than Trail Boss/AT4) are Twin Tube design.

You have to upgrade to the RS7000 MTs to get a similar Monotube design as the Bilsteins, Eibach Pro or Pro Comp SS