Looking for AT tires for 2016 Sierra CC 4x4

So the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 are not cutting it. I knew I should have went against my better judgement and not put them back on the truck but the shop swore these would be revised and better on wet conditions. They are not, the moment the road gets wet these tires are all over the road. Couple that with the 6.2 and almost 500hp on tap and on some roads it turns into a ice skating rink when it is wet outside. So I am looking at the Continental Terrain Contact A/T tires in the OEM size 275/55-20 for the next set. I dont haul anything that needs a 8 ply or 10 ply, sucks the BFG K/O2 only come in 10 ply otherwise I would run them. Anyone else have any other All Terrain tire suggestions? Not interested in mud tires or passenger style All Season tires, just looking for a nice All Terrain tire as I do have to make it into work no matter the weather. 

What I liked about the Nitto and now the Continental tire is they only weigh 44lbs which is close to the OEM tire, so no real loss in performance and it wont turn the ride into a teeth rattling riding the old stage coach wagon into the city trip every time we drive the truck.

Edited by TJay74

26 minutes ago, TJay74 said:

So the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 are not cutting it. I knew I should have went against my better judgement and not put them back on the truck but the shop swore these would be revised and better on wet conditions. They are not, the moment the road gets wet these tires are all over the road. Couple that with the 6.2 and almost 500hp on tap and on some roads it turns into a ice skating rink when it is wet outside. So I am looking at the Continental Terrain Contact A/T tires in the OEM size 275/55-20 for the next set. I dont haul anything that needs a 8 ply or 10 ply, sucks the BFG K/O2 only come in 10 ply otherwise I would run them. Anyone else have any other All Terrain tire suggestions? Not interested in mud tires or passenger style All Season tires, just looking for a nice All Terrain tire as I do have to make it into work no matter the weather. 

What I liked about the Nitto and now the Continental tire is they only weigh 44lbs which is close to the OEM tire, so no real loss in performance and it wont turn the ride into a teeth rattling riding the old stage coach wagon into the city trip every time we drive the truck.

Go with the Falken Wildpeak AT3W.  Best AT tires out there for wet traction, much better value than the BFG KO2.  I have had them on my truck for 20k+ miles and still love them.  Great tires.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Go with the Falken Wildpeak AT3W.  Best AT tires out there for wet traction, much better value than the BFG KO2.  I have had them on my truck for 20k+ miles and still love them.  Great tires.
I 2nd that. I have only had them for about 2k miles. But I love the tires so far, they work very well in the rain.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Danny_Rosa_Z71 said:

I 2nd that. I have only had them for about 2k miles. But I love the tires so far, they work very well in the rain.

3 hours ago, btj_z71 said:

What size did you guys go with on the Falken Wildpeak AT3's? The best 20" price is the 275/55r20 or 275/60r20, but I prefer a tad wider like a 285 or 295.

What size did you guys go with on the Falken Wildpeak AT3's? The best 20" price is the 275/55r20 or 275/60r20, but I prefer a tad wider like a 285 or 295.
I'm not much help because I went with a 285 70 17. But if you find a deal on the size you want you won't be disappointed with the tires. 8c51540b12205e2f66d0638dea89778b.jpg

I went with the stock size 275/55r20. Going bigger shouldn't be an issue if you have a leveling kit. Without a little lift in the front I think you'll rub if you go bigger than stock. A little trimming to the wheel well liner and you'll be set for a bigger tire though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The Wildpeak AT3W's or the Cooper AT3 4S on my 275/55/R20's will by my next set of tires after I wear out the GY SRA's. I have been seeing really good reviews on those Wildpeaks. Supposed to hold up well and be quiet on the road which is where my truck spends 90% of its time. Shoot, it may even be 95% on the road! I just need something that is good for rain, snow (living in western PA it rains a lot) and street with the occasional dirt trail/grass field for hunting season and camping.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TJay74 said:

???? I have a thread here somewhere explaining I immediately brought back my BFG KO2's in 275/60R20 to the tire shop because a) the decrease in acceleration/braking performance due to the added unsprung weight was immediate & apparent, and b) they sucked in wet conditions.

I swapped them out for Nitto Terra Grappler G2's in the same size, dropped down 13 lbs a corner & truck feels no different - I wouldn't say they are GOOD in the rain, but better than the BFG's slightly & DEFINITELY better than the Wrangler SRA's that came from the factory- those are awful, had to put truck in 4hi just to get outta my sloped backyard area w/ woodchips - w/ the BFG's or Nittos 2wd was fine.

I don't think any AT tire is gonna better than an all season type normal road tire in the rain, I would suggest exercising throttle control & maybe throwing it in 4auto during downpour/pooling rain. 

My hobby car is a 440whp Z06 vette running Nitto NT01's (essentially a track tire) & while I don't intentionally drive it in the rain, I have.....throttle control!

If you can live w/ a lil added weight (less than the BFG's) & want good all around traction + decent offroad + good even wear/long tread life + don't mind not having very "aggressive" AT look to em, then I would simply say you need to run Michelin LTX AT2's period.

Edited by crushNchowda

Another vote for Michelin AT2 tires.  Run them on the company 2015 Denali Duramax and they have been good in rain while pulling a 10,500 pound trailer.  Believe they are available in stock size 275/55/20.  Looks wise they are not the greatest but they last well.

I have read good things about the Continental AT but have no experience with them. Ditto the Falkens.

Edited by Lgetz
Repeated words, confused tire size

13 hours ago, crushNchowda said:

???? I have a thread here somewhere explaining I immediately brought back my BFG KO2's in 275/60R20 to the tire shop because a) the decrease in acceleration/braking performance due to the added unsprung weight was immediate & apparent, and b) they sucked in wet conditions.

I swapped them out for Nitto Terra Grappler G2's in the same size, dropped down 13 lbs a corner & truck feels no different - I wouldn't say they are GOOD in the rain, but better than the BFG's slightly & DEFINITELY better than the Wrangler SRA's that came from the factory- those are awful, had to put truck in 4hi just to get outta my sloped backyard area w/ woodchips - w/ the BFG's or Nittos 2wd was fine.

I don't think any AT tire is gonna better than an all season type normal road tire in the rain, I would suggest exercising throttle control & maybe throwing it in 4auto during downpour/pooling rain. 

My hobby car is a 440whp Z06 vette running Nitto NT01's (essentially a track tire) & while I don't intentionally drive it in the rain, I have.....throttle control!

If you can live w/ a lil added weight (less than the BFG's) & want good all around traction + decent offroad + good even wear/long tread life + don't mind not having very "aggressive" AT look to em, then I would simply say you need to run Michelin LTX AT2's period.

In some cases it isnt purely throttle control, in some cases even a light foot and the tires are spinning.

And believe me, I know all about throttle control myself. I have a 2017 Camaro SS 1LE with a Procharger D1SC putting down over 650hp to the wheels. Even with a set of 305/30-20 Michelin Pilot 4S on the rear the car struggles for traction at times.

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2018 at 2:16 AM, TJay74 said:

In some cases it isnt purely throttle control, in some cases even a light foot and the tires are spinning.

And believe me, I know all about throttle control myself. I have a 2017 Camaro SS 1LE with a Procharger D1SC putting down over 650hp to the wheels. Even with a set of 305/30-20 Michelin Pilot 4S on the rear the car struggles for traction at times.

A&A going on mine next spring....I'm sticking w/ NT01's I'm sure traction will continue to be a problem:cool: