Squeaking noise when starting engine

1 minute ago, Sierra Dan said:

Well, to me it sounds like your battery is weak....  seems like a slight hesitation on start like it is not getting the CC Amps it needs.

This could be causing stress on your belt? Sounds like the belt to me.

Definitely from the engine/front engine area.

Do you have a warranty?

Battery is not even 1 year old, 85k miles so no warranty. I guess ill change the other two smaller belts and see, Keep you posted.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I, myself, seem to be having a "squeaking" noise coming from the belt area in my 2015 Silverado 1500. I've included a link to a video so you can hear it. Not too sure what it is, but any thoughts or solutions to try would be very helpful! *** Side Note *** If you own a 2015 Silverado and haven't replaced your Vacuum pump, I'd highly recommend replacing it yourself before it goes out. Seems to be a common problem with this year model, yet GM won't put a recall in for it. If you're unlucky enough for it to go out while you're driving, you'll lose your ability to stop. You'll have to have it towed in, and GM will charge you roughly $800 to get you a new one. -_- ***

I had both a startup squeak and also lugging on start on my 2014 6.2

The lug ended up being the starter. I originally thought battery too but after I replaced the battery and the starter began to smoke it confirmed the battery was not and issue...

The squeak was the bearings in the alternator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
On 3/22/2019 at 6:05 PM, Jimenez44 said:

I, myself, seem to be having a "squeaking" noise coming from the belt area in my 2015 Silverado 1500. I've included a link to a video so you can hear it. Not too sure what it is, but any thoughts or solutions to try would be very helpful! *** Side Note *** If you own a 2015 Silverado and haven't replaced your Vacuum pump, I'd highly recommend replacing it yourself before it goes out. Seems to be a common problem with this year model, yet GM won't put a recall in for it. If you're unlucky enough for it to go out while you're driving, you'll lose your ability to stop. You'll have to have it towed in, and GM will charge you roughly $800 to get you a new one. -_- ***

Hey bud, did you figure out a fix? I have the same exact thing with my 2015. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I also have this same squeak on my 2015 5.3. I cut out the flapper valve and put on a Flowmaster. Eliminated v4 to v8 squeak, but I still get the squeak on startup. Anyone know what to use to grease the starter as someone mentioned before? I started my truck while laying underneath and the noise seemed to be coming from the starter.