90’s Tahoe as a First Car?

I’ve been browsing around looking for a car of my own. One of the vehicles I’ve been considering is a first gen 90’s Tahoe or Yukon. I’ve always liked the styling and I hear they are pretty reliable. Especially the 350 used on these and the pickups (Were there any other engines available for these aside from the 350 and the turbo diesel? I’m no expert by any means when it comes to trucks). The only thing about it is fuel economy. Other than that, would you recommend it as a first?

Nope, 350 was standard on the Yukon/Tahoe.  You can't go wrong.  Very solid vehicles.  I would recommend it as a first but have it gone over by an independent repair facility for a pre purchase inspection BEFORE you purchase the vehicle.  Trannies were generally good to 150,000-200,000 miles so long as they were serviced at the proper intervals. 

• Like 1

I’ve been browsing around looking for a car of my own. One of the vehicles I’ve been considering is a first gen 90’s Tahoe or Yukon. I’ve always liked the styling and I hear they are pretty reliable. Especially the 350 used on these and the pickups (Were there any other engines available for these aside from the 350 and the turbo diesel? I’m no expert by any means when it comes to trucks). The only thing about it is fuel economy. Other than that, would you recommend it as a first?

I’d be very cautious, my 96 was a pc of junk, I special ordered the 2-door sport package Z71 and aside of water leaking inside every time it rained, exterior front end rattled and worst was the transmission, replaced twice! They looked cool but, ownership was not a good one for me. Traded it in for a new land cruiser, that was an awesome vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess it’s the luck of the draw. I had a 98 two door Tahoe 4x4. If I had it to do all over again that’s the one I would have hung on to. My brother in law put 300K on a 99 Tahoe full sized. One of the mechanics at my old shop drives a high mileage one every day. If you find one that’s only had one or two owners chances are it’s a decent one.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I guess it’s the luck of the draw. I had a 98 two door Tahoe 4x4. If I had it to do all over again that’s the one I would have hung on to. My brother in law put 300K on a 99 Tahoe full sized. One of the mechanics at my old shop drives a high mileage one every day. If you find one that’s only had one or two owners chances are it’s a decent one.

I agree.  My first car was a used '96 Tahoe and it was great.  Easy to work on and I loved that 350.

• Like 2

Karnut, I did what you recommended, unleashed the beast, no more limitations and now Im getting 24mpg set at 91. [emoji1303]

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

I’d be very cautious, my 96 was a pc of junk, I special ordered the 2-door sport package Z71 and aside of water leaking inside every time it rained, exterior front end rattled and worst was the transmission, replaced twice! They looked cool but, ownership was not a good one for me. Traded it in for a new land cruiser, that was an awesome vehicle.

When I was growing up, my dad drove me everywhere in a 92 two door Sport.  It was a very good vehicle for us.  I know he had to deal with a few radiator / cooling system issues, but it was a comfortable ride, with no water leaks or rattles. 

I only drove it a few times.  The steering was very loose, the brakes were mediocre, and it was not exactly fast either.  But, it was comfortable, and looked great. 

• Like 1

heck yeah, that's a great first vehicle. I owned a 1998 K1500, same body and frame you are talking about. Mine was a WT with the 305 and I felt like it had plenty of power.

If you can find one that's not all rusted out, that would be great. The bottom of the doors on those models rusted fast.

• Like 1

Karnut, I did what you recommended, unleashed the beast, no more limitations and now Im getting 24mpg set at 91. [emoji1303]

I never met a stock truck that was good enough. I always tinker. I never worried about the warranty and never got bit. The 6.2 is a beast stock, more so tuned.

• Like 1

If you guys remember, the first year they came out with the four door Tahoe, I’m thinking 97? Well, I was in for a servicing and there was a group of foreigners from Japan visiting the dealership, they were from Toyota and had a four door that about 7 or more were all squeezed into. Apparently, GM had them visit the dealership and they all came straight to my truck pointing at it as I was pulling out from servicing. Mine was a black Z71, Sport blacked out, polished duel stainless exhaust, 4” lift. I pulled up beside them and rolled the window down and smiled then took off, lol. A week later I was back in for transmission replacement, towed in after I it left me in a grocery store parking lot, would rev but just not do anything. It was sweet looking though.

12 hours ago, Appleboy84 said:

I assume you are looking for the best you can get for a limited budget.  I think you can find a 20+  year old V8 SUV for a reasonable price.  However, your cost of ownership will be high. The increasing popularity of pickups is resulting in a lot of used grocery getters in pristine condition appearing on lots. You may be better off in the long term to spend more up front.  The improvements in fuel efficiency alone is a significant cost consideration.  I loved the old 350's but not buying the gas!

8 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I loved the old 350's but not buying the gas!

I grew up on a corner lot.  Always knew when my dad was pulling away from the stop sign around the corner, based on the sound, before I could see his truck.  The old truck did have quite the thirst though. 

My first Tahoe was 96 Vortec LT that I purchased in early 97 as leftover with 15miles on odometer..

Was great all around truck and kid hauler until selling to buddy with 248K on odometer and original trans last year.

Over the years, modified suspension, install front and rear Detroit Lockers and added B&M valve body to trans..

It took me hunting and fishing with no issues even in heavy snow and mud..

I still see it around town and my buddy's wife & kids love it especially in our nasty Midwest winters..

I do miss it,, but my old Tahoe has gone to new good home...

Early Tahoe's are the best in my opinion..

Cheers---K

• Like 1