1994 GMC Jimmy S-15 value

Hi, I'm new here, so I hope this is the place to ask this. . .

I just bought a 1994 GMC Jimmy (S-15) SLE 4WD, 4-door, 4.3 Vortex, from family friends. I'd like to make sure I don't have a valuable oldie here before I bolt on a Class III hitch and start driving to work every day.

The original owner was a 'bring it in every 3000m' sort of guy, so it's had lots of parts replaced over the years. Everything runs (and all electric!), trans feels good, all mechanical systems are working well. It's almost immaculate inside and out, with ~89,000 miles. For some reason the auto shop noted (and now the Title notes) an odometer abnormality; I think they got confused by low mileage between visits. I've reviewed the service receipts and driven for a few days and I think the odometer is fine, and that is really does have ~89,000 miles. I'm going to put five new Michelin Defender AT M/S tires on next week.

I'm a Total Cost of Ownership driver, so I'm all about low cost per mile over lifespan. Is this a neat old car I should drive, or a neat old car I should try to sell?

Impala (2 of 9).jpg

Impala (5 of 9).jpg

Impala (7 of 9).jpg

Edited by edwardware
Spelling counts!

I don't know what life is like in TX, but in my area, a rig like that would be scrapped if the transmission failed. The scrap value would be $40 or maybe $60.  I buy / sell / scrap rigs all the time. So do my friends. 

Me too, going by (his) description that’s about a 5K truck. He said it was clean not a rust bucket. He said everything worked and drove well. I don’t think he would put tires on that were worth more than the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$5,000 truck? 

If that's the case, you guys shoul hire a car hauler to pick up vehicles in this area. I will sell you the vehicles for $1,000 and you sell them for $5,000. Vehicles are not worth anything in my area. Either that, or you are way over estimating the value of that rig for your area. Have you checked Craigslist to establish that value? Did you check blue book values? 

In my area, that rig is not worth much. Maybe in other areas its worth more. 

$5,000 truck? 

If that's the case, you guys shoul hire a car hauler to pick up vehicles in this area. I will sell you the vehicles for $1,000 and you sell them for $5,000. Vehicles are not worth anything in my area. Either that, or you are way over estimating the value of that rig for your area. Have you checked Craigslist to establish that value? Did you check blue book values? 

In my area, that rig is not worth much. Maybe in other areas its worth more. 

You must live in a very depressed area. Look in Kelly blue book his vehicle as described is worth 5K. A ten year old Tahoe with 100K miles fairly clean brings at least 5K here. His truck as described would bring 5K

It's a good truck for a daily driver. Drive it.  If it was a 2 Door it might be a little desirable to someone.  

Looks like NH plates, is that where you live?  Those things rust out like crazy around here.  I just bought a '99 2 door ZR2 for $500 with a blown engine to use as a beater/plow truck. I have $2k in it total and that's about what it's worth

19 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

You must live in a very depressed area. Look in Kelly blue book his vehicle as described is worth 5K. A ten year old Tahoe with 100K miles fairly clean brings at least 5K here. His truck as described would bring 5K

Seattle / Tacoma 

The reason the value is low, is because there are a million of them. Try selling sand on the beach, same result. 

9 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Me too, going by (his) description that’s about a 5K truck. He said it was clean not a rust bucket. He said everything worked and drove well. I don’t think he would put tires on that were worth more than the truck.

If it's a $5000 truck, I might have to sell it and find something less cool and more recent.

It indeed has very little rust on the body and frame; I've spotted (and Rustoleum'd) a couple quarter-sized rust spots starting on the concealed side of the body crimps inside a door and inside a wheelwell. The underbody frame is almost completely factory green.  I come from the land of ice and snow and salt, so this is a new experience for me.

I don't know if KBB captures the rise in value as Good or Great condition vehicles get older, so I don't know if I should believe it or not in this case.

17 minutes ago, qwank said:

It's a good truck for a daily driver. Drive it.  If it was a 2 Door it might be a little desirable to someone.  

Looks like NH plates, is that where you live?  Those things rust out like crazy around here.  I just bought a '99 2 door ZR2 for $500 with a blown engine to use as a beater/plow truck. I have $2k in it total and that's about what it's worth

I'm from NH. . . a truck this old from Home could be disposed of with a shovel; nothing would be left but iron oxide. Down here in unbearably hot South they don't have proper Winter so there's not much rust.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, edwardware said:

I'm from NH. . . a truck this old from Home could be disposed of with a shovel; nothing would be left but iron oxide. Down here in unbearably hot South they don't have proper Winter so there's not much rust.

So the truck came from NH? 

Just now, edwardware said:

It was purchased in 1994 in New Jersey, and has been in SC since 1996. Knowing that, I'd still expect more rust that I see for two winters in Jersey; maybe he didn't drive it.

The NH plates have me completely confused