Navigation and memory card issue

I bought my 2019 Sierra SLT in DEC 2018, no issues with the NAV until this past Tuesday. I got the SD Card Error message. I did not even know where the SD card was until this error....so nobody removed it. I had an appointment at my dealership yesterday, and wouldn't you know it...it started working intermittently. When it did load maps and function, it could get it to fail and show the error message again by tapping on the inside of the center console box right in front of the reader / USB ports. I was able to do this several times and once in front of the technician who will be taking it apart to diagnose / repair / replace next week when I am out of town. He mentioned a GM bulletin on this issue, the card reader (probably not public yet). I hope this helps anyone who has this issue in the future. I will update when the work order is complete.  

SD Card.jpg

40 minutes ago, klynch said:

Purchased a new high country this past weekend, picking it up this evening. Dealer just called to say there was a recall on the SD cards and they are on backorder. Does this sound correct?

Doesn't to me, GM puts the SD card with the keys and usually ends up in the glove box. My dealer has all the vehicles open and every one I go in had the SD card in a clear pouch in the glove compartment. I'm betting they lost it and are trying to get another one. Tell them to take one out of another Silverado. 

I had the same problem with my truck since the day I bought it. My truck also has the latest software and I was still getting the error at least once every 2 days. So yesterday I was thinking about the error and it dawned on me that the truck might be trying to write on the SD card to initialize it. On every SD card there is a little switch on the side that locks/unlocks the card for writing data on it. I slid the switch from where it was to the opposite position and put it back in the SD slot. I have not seen this error for over 2 weeks now.

IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

11.jpg

Edited by BeardBros
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, klynch said:

Finally got my sim card from dealer.  Installed it in truck but now I get the "once initialized, this SIM card can only be used for navigation in this vehicle" message every time I start the truck.  Anyone know how to clear this?

I assume you checked your memory protect lock mechanism to ensure the card could be written to?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2019 at 6:00 AM, BeardBros said:

I had the same problem with my truck since the day I bought it. My truck also has the latest software and I was still getting the error at least once every 2 days. So yesterday I was thinking about the error and it dawned on me that the truck might be trying to write on the SD card to initialize it. On every SD card there is a little switch on the side that locks/unlocks the card for writing data on it. I slid the switch from where it was to the opposite position and put it back in the SD slot. I have not seen this error for over 2 weeks now.

IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

11.jpg

Update 2/28/2019, at 6 weeks and 1350 miles now and I have not had the error since I moved the switch on the side of the SD card.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had this same problem happen yesterday (3/17/2019) to my 2019 Silverado HC. 

Thanks to the responses here, I took the truck to the dealer and found out a few things I'd thought to share.

I don't know what caused the issue in the first place, but I noticed was that when I started the truck some of the settings had changed. HUD and DIC had different views from when I shut it down. What caused the settings to change is still a mystery and may or may not be related.

1. They said they have had a bulletin about the SD card and it has been recalled. My truck actually had the recalled SD card, but was still experiencing the issue.
  2. They inspected the SD Card to ensure it was UNLOCKED. 
  3. Taking the card out and then putting it back while the truck was running would not work. He shut the truck off, took the card out, inspected it, inserted back in, started up the truck and it worked fine. 

My suggestion if it happens again, shut down, eject the card, inspect for damage, insert card and start up. 

Hope this helps,

Joe

• 1 month later...

Brought mine in for this issue about two months ago.  In the end, the dealer replaced the card, card reader, whole radio unit, and the USB/USB-c plug under the radio.  They managed to finally fix it but it took two weeks for ordering various parts and stuff.  Just for fun I asked what they do if all this didn't work.  They said they still had one more option which would be to put in a new wiring harness.  I wondered about if that failed maybe a new newer truck might be the best fix.