Frame issues? Anyone else hearing this rumor?

Zane

7 minutes ago, shift_grind said:

I know a lot of Camaro owners bought pads they can permenantly attach to the car so there is no issue bending the sheet metal on the "frame" - yes they're unibody - to avoid this issue. Otherwise they required specific adapters used in specific spots. 

Yep I was about the mention this. I can always tell when a 4th gen has been lifted wrong. It can be ugly if the guy doesn't notice what he's done and the door binds against the fender.

I'm the one that mentioned this to you on Facebook.

I had a long conversation with a field engineer about this.  He was the one that told me about the frames denting or tearing. GM does NOT want the flip up kind of lift pads on the front of these trucks at all.  Guess what 80% of the lifts in most shops/dealerships are? The flip up kind.  We have one Rotary lift in our shop that will take those new adapters, one of the ones on my bays that was installed specifically for Corvettes. All other rotary lifts have flip ups, and there's a few older Forward lifts with the stack-able lift extensions, but the new GM adapters won't work on them.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, qwank said:

I had a long conversation with a field engineer about this.  He was the one that told me about the frames denting or tearing. GM does NOT want the flip up kind of lift pads on the front of these trucks at all.  Guess what 80% of the lifts in most shops/dealerships are? The flip up kind.  We have one Rotary lift in our shop that will take those new adapters, one of the ones on my bays that was installed specifically for Corvettes. All other rotary lifts have flip ups, and there's a few older Forward lifts with the stack-able lift extensions, but the new GM adapters won't work on them.  

Hmmm another piece to the puzzle.  Technically, if there is no running board, one could use the flips just flat and lift in that front spot?  Of the 10 2 post Rotary lifts we have, 3 of them have the adjustable pad that sits in the hole in the arm.  The rest are flip.  

I've seen guys lift the newer HD trucks on that designated lift point (just like the new truck, that goitered section in front of the flat) with a flip up.  Sketchy.   

Edited by newdude

12 hours ago, qwank said:

I didn't want to name or identify anyone. Thanks for giving more specifics and explaining what you know.

I have heard the rumor.  The one about every K2 is junk?  The "Vibrator" everyone shakes?  AFM your burning 2qts every 5 miles?  Lifter failure too?  Seat movement?  Mylink radio dies?  NO REAR AC VENTS.....just thought I put that in there incase you all have not heard that one?  NO REAR AC VENTS!  Actually, I have really come to expect something everyday with my GMC....hopefully the accelerator breaks off as I am rounding a hard turn in the Mcdonald's drive through!  Then I go FERD ACTION! 

Haha!! So true. Everybody wants to find something negative to talk about. There are literally stories upon stories that can be told on each and every truck ever made. The R&D that goes into these trucks is in the billions of dollars. I highly doubt they have major issues with frames bending.

Just my 2 cents I’ve sure been wrong before. So far the after market 2” level I had installed on my 2019 Sierra SLT is working fabulously. Rides like a dream!!

IMG_1380.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had a 2014 with the 5.3.  I now have a 2016 with the 6.2.  Never had any shakes,  oil burn, or any of the other "common" issues. 

Any yes, pick your poison... all manufactures have their issues. Just go read the RAM or Ford forum. These trucks are so technically complex today, it's a wonder they get any of it to work.. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Literally LOL that this conversation is even being had that a frame would be so thin a standard lift could damage it. I just learned this today in a training session with Challenger lifts and am researching this topic because I honestly thought it was complete BS to sell add on items. Come to find out, it’s totally true and I’m completely offended that anyone would call a shop that didn’t have said “specialty Chevy approves lift pads” a hole in the wall. Basically, the lift can pickup a $300k Ferrari without tweaking the frame but not a brittle feeble 2019 Silverado. Are you people that brain washed than you think this is a tooling issue with garages and not pathetic engineering which is the true answer. So not only is this the ugliest truck Chevy could ever have designed its “Like a Rock” till you jack it up and bend the frame. Enjoy your tin can trash truck this thread and training today has reaffirmed my thinking that GM is complete trash now. 

1 hour ago, slp40 said:

Literally LOL that this conversation is even being had that a frame would be so thin a standard lift could damage it. I just learned this today in a training session with Challenger lifts and am researching this topic because I honestly thought it was complete BS to sell add on items. Come to find out, it’s totally true and I’m completely offended that anyone would call a shop that didn’t have said “specialty Chevy approves lift pads” a hole in the wall. Basically, the lift can pickup a $300k Ferrari without tweaking the frame but not a brittle feeble 2019 Silverado. Are you people that brain washed than you think this is a tooling issue with garages and not pathetic engineering which is the true answer. So not only is this the ugliest truck Chevy could ever have designed its “Like a Rock” till you jack it up and bend the frame. Enjoy your tin can trash truck this thread and training today has reaffirmed my thinking that GM is complete trash now. 

Thanks for adding value to the conversation ?

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, UGADawgs said:

Thanks for adding value to the conversation ?

Lots of value in my post, jacking up your truck incorrectly can damage your $60k truck and ppl are blaming shops for not knowing how fragile this truck really is. Imagine when a frame is bent by a shop for lifting a vehicle how a vehicle is supposed to be lifted only to find out they bent a $60k truck? Do you even realize how pathetic this conversation is and how even more ridiculous it is that it’s going to happen? Shops should not be held liable for any damage this is clearly a engineering flaw that was found AFTER THE FACT. 

Nobody is going to be taking their 60k dollar truck to your “behind the gas station” repair shop anyway, so get over it. If this was a crisis like you make it out to be, surely you wouldn’t have had to dredge up a 4+ month old thread full of conjecture to attempt to make a point.

Bottom line as I see it...GM dealers and any reputable shops will pay the $400 for the new pads and move on. If they don’t, and they poke holes in the frame with a narrow pad, that is 100% their problem. Car design changes constantly. It’s on the shops to keep up and be diligent. Sorry, that’s how it goes.

• Like 1

Drama alert! Please don’t feed this troll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1